SE5a Starter Motor removal help badly needed

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Al Hindmarsh
RSSOC Member

Post by Al Hindmarsh » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:36 am

Thought I'd load some photos to help:

This is where the remote solenoid was... 2 red/white wires, one brown wire. The slightly thicker RW wire on the right is the one that connected to the 12V spade connector on the starter motor. I have joined these together, took them apart for the photo

And here we have another 2 RW wires ! These are coming up from the wiring loom on the chassis (you can see the manifold in the background), The one in the background was the one attached to the Starter motor - that's the thick one from photo 1. However the one in the foreground was lying loose on the chassis - you can see it's got a spade terminal on it that someone has heat-wrapped - surely that's the original ignition wire ?

Anyway, I have connected these up in a variety of ways to the blue wire I put in that is connected to the starter motor 12V terminal (this blue wire is the one that when I touched it to the +VE battery terminal turned the starter motor over) - Nothing, not a peep. So now I'm going to go under the dashboard cut the RW wire there and connect the blue wire to it directly....when it stops raining

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Given the condition of those wires I would run a new wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid - making sure that its well away from the exhaust. Colour is not important as you will remember why its there.

Al Hindmarsh
RSSOC Member

Post by Al Hindmarsh » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 am

thanks Peter, and yes I have, a lovely bright blue one ! And the starter motor started the car once it engaged properly, all I have to do now is feed the wire properly into the back of the dash and reconnect.
It's great to hear the engine running again, cars always seem properly broken or injured when they don't run.
Now that I've run the engine, I've found out the temp gauge doesn't work - time to find out what little wire has been dislodged this time !

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:41 am

You have probably disturbed the wire to the temp sender wire as its on the front of the inlet manifold. Good that you have at last sorted out the starting problems - you will be able to sleep at nights now, and of course you are now a wiser man.

Return to “Se5/5a”