SE5a sill re-inforcement diagram

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

DarrylWebb

SE5a sill re-inforcement diagram

Post by DarrylWebb » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Potentially looking like this in the flesh,

here are some measurements for making a replacement.

Unless you're OCD about originality I wouldn't go anywhere near metal replacements. :w
I'd make a former from wood, cover with packing tape, then lay up 3 layers of 450g chopped strand matt.
Fit to the car on a bed of P40, or stick it in with Sikaflex/TigerSeal/ etc., then a layer of CSM over the lot for good measure.

Scimega: Project X30XE Pro-Touring Scimitar

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: SE5a sill re-inforcement diagram

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:49 pm

If you *are* thinking of a metal replacement, then presumably stainless is the only option worth going for?

ps. for posterity, I've made it sticky (rather appropriate for a post about fibreglass) :wink:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:51 pm

Knew I could count on you, Roger. :)

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:35 pm

If slightly modified, it can be fitted from underneath when Body is off the frame - in a twisting motion...

Leaves paint and Sills unmolested, but involves a nasty, dusty grinding job with a power file from underneath the body, reglueing with Sikaflex 252 (which according Victor doesn't stick to stainless very well) and bonding the edges for stability reasons.

1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

simmit

Post by simmit » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie and interested to know more about rusted out cills and outriggers generally as they seem the major problem areas.

It's being advocated here not to use steel as replacement for cills. How does this advice stack up for MOT inspections? Is it not a safety issue? Is there any alternative than steel for outriggers?

Bear with me, I'm new round here and haven't yet got a scimitar but just started looking and so this sort of thing is interesting.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:05 am

This part isn't structural and isn't part of the chassis - it's embedded in the bodyshell at manufacture (the steps in the door apertures).

Outriggers and side rails are replaceable in situ. Also look at rear diagonals and rollbar lower mounts.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

simmit

Post by simmit » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:00 pm

"Outriggers and side rails are replaceable in situ. Also look at rear diagonals and rollbar lower mounts."

Are these things easily viewed from underneath?

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:13 pm

very easily

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

DarrylWebb

Post by DarrylWebb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:01 pm

Absolutely. The front out-rigger can be seen without even getting down on your knees. Just look in the front wheel-arch.
The side-rail runs directly back from the outer end of the outrigger.

nutgone

Post by nutgone » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:43 pm

OK, another newbie here. I've done lots of welding on all metal cars, underneath, patching holes in floors, repairing chassis rails & floor separation. But I've never done anything on a GRP body before. But yesterday (amongst much drama & calamity) I picked up my first Scimitar, a 1974 SE5a, so I want to ask, how do you replace the outriggers in situ?

If you could point me in the direction of an info source, like another thread or something (I may have a little search in the meantime although they're not top of my list right now as the car has a recent MOT) that would be great, or just a brief explanation of what's involved. More for curiosity than anything else right now, although my front ones are a little crusty.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the car :D

Coincidentally, the topic of chassis repairs came up in Matt's project thread, here. Although this was for an Se6, the basic principles don't change much.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

nutgone

Post by nutgone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the car :D

Coincidentally, the topic of chassis repairs came up in Matt's project thread, here. Although this was for an Se6, the basic principles don't change much.
Great stuff, answered all my questions & more. Thanks.

limegreen5A
RSSOC Member

Post by limegreen5A » Fri May 20, 2016 9:34 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any sill-reinforcement pieces made up that they dont need - my drivers side is well past it and keen to either replace the steel or do a glass fibre repair as people have suggested.

Just wanted to check before I see if I can find someone who may be able to make up pieces for me

thanks

pete

--
Pete Fox
Monza Blue (was Lime Green!) '73 Se5a slowly being restored (slowly being the operative word!)

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”