Informal Tour - North London / Essex area

Notices, Comments, Reviews etc.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

scotdunc

Re: Informal Tour - North London / Essex area

Post by scotdunc » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:48 am

Great to hear you've got things moving Andy, looking forward to seeing the route you've planned. Oh and dont worry about being in the Moggy..... I was out and about in the Coupe yesterday, and came across a parade of about 8 cars (all classics, different types). All doing pretty much we got up to, i.e. going for an informal cruise around the fens. Nice to see them all out together in the glorious sunshine. So looking forward to doing the same on the 31st.
Have you heard from any of the Norfolk/Suffolk Scim people? If your routes in Essex, it might attract some of them.... so bigger numbers!!

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:03 pm

haven't heard from anyone else yet, i am planning on sending a message with the final route to all the localish noggins, to see if we can drag up more people and cars. but i guess its a case of wait and see.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Okay guys I did a test run yesterday eve, it looks like the same sort of length as the last run - i have according to google maps - a total distance of 72 miles and a total drive time of 2hrs 28 mins. I have a rough outline here-

start at The Abbey - Waltham Abbey, I will supply coffee and tea for all. Then of to Bishops Storford - I need suggestions of a place to stop here, as I did not find anywhere and am trying to avoid just pubs. Then on to Saffron Waldon- I was thinking of stopping at either Audley House / Gardens or Audley Steam Railway. I am happy to leave this to a vote, then try the first choice, if they say no then see what the second choice says. Then through Thauxton - we can stop but its a short leg so we can decide on the day, or then on to or as well as stopping at the black bull out side Fyfield, or other pub along the way for a drink bladder rest etc.... Then on to the Secret Nuclear Bunker near Ongar for a stop and photo's with the cars and the radio mast, plus other signs ect... also there are some great driving roads after this but one with half a rubbish surface that then is a lovely new resurface so I will advise on the run. If I can make it n the moggy you guys will have no problems! Finally to the Two Brewers (or another pub, will inform) for the final stop, refuel of us and maybe cars and another chat.

I make that with start and end seven stops. So am happy to cut them down, lose a part that we pass through but its a good drive, I am trying to make the sections not over 20 miles.

So how does this sound? also I have added a link to the map map so you guys can take a look.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Wal ... flg=h&z=10

let me know what you all think and if there are any changes that you want to make. feed back is very welcome!

looking forward to seeing you all, I have pm'd the noggin leaders around my area to see if they are up for joining us and if they can drag any members with them, and also added a thread in the south east noggin forum section. Feel free to try and persuade as many as you can to join us.

also let me know if you want a tomtom itinerary file so I can send it to you before and then you will have the route incase anything goes wrong, but we've never lost a man so far and lets not start now!

Andy

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

scotdunc

Post by scotdunc » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Looks like you've been doing a fair bit of planning Andy.... I have'nt had time to go through all that you've planned, but I would say... we might need a bit more time! If you remember last time, my 2 hour route actually took us 4 1/2 hours to get round, because we spent alot of time at each stop "gassing" like old fishwives. So you might need to either shorten the route, or have less stops!!!!

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Hi Duncan. That's the one thing that worried me, will have a think about shortening, or cutting stops.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

libidy54

Post by libidy54 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Andy.

I know some of the route, (Audley End House area) and its very nice.

Like Duncan says, maybe loose one or two stops - thats all - apart from that , keep miles about the same - its looking good.

And the extra bit of awareness to the local Noggins will hopefully mean a larger number will support you.

Cheers for now

Mark.........

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I've had replies from sOme of the noggin organisers so we may have a few more joining us. Which will be great. Going to do a dummy run in the minor this week and decide on what to cut stop wise. I was thinking of losing the pub at the end, but there are some great roads in that bit.

Will give an update soon. Also see I you gus can grab any more people to join us. I'm going to see if I can grab a middlebridge to join us.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Okay guys, have been thinking about the stops along the way

as it stands I have this so far -

Start - The Abbey - Waltham Abbey - fairly easy start point for us all, and a place to possible be able to take a few pre run pics, but from memory not to sure how 'pretty' the car park is!

19.5 miles and 45 mins later (approx.)

Stop One - Bishops Storford - I need suggestions of a place to stop here still even if its just some where easy for a quick chat and to make sure we have not lost anyone, I know they hold a concourse event here so maybe if anyone knows more about that it might help?

13.1 miles and 28 mins later (approx.)

Stop Two - Saffron Waldon- stopping at either Audley House / Gardens or Audley Steam Railway. Any preferences yet? so I can contact them and make sure we are not going to cause problems if we "invade" their car parks.

24.7 miles and 45 mins later (approx.)

Stop Three - The black bull out side Fyfield, or other pub along the way for a drink bladder rest etc....

6.1 miles and 13 mins later (approx.)

Stop Four - (possible to be dropped) The Secret Nuclear Bunker near Ongar for a stop and photo's with the cars this should only be a short stop, as apart from a few signs ect its pretty empty unless you go underground. (but leads to some great drives so we could drop it and just drive past, what do you all think?

about 9 or 12 miles depending on which pub and about 20 mins (approx.)

END - The Two Brewers (or I'm thinking of The Royal Oak as it has a big car park and beer Garden ) for the final stop, refuel of us and another chat / photo's.

how is this sounding?

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

jps72
RSSOC Member

Post by jps72 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Sounds good to me. Again, despite the relative nearness to where I live and work, it's an area I've not explored.

Matthew Gable
1800Ti
Previosly owned 1800Ti & Middlebridge (no. 40 if you're counting)

1949bug

Post by 1949bug » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Akuchanny wrote:Okay guys, have been thinking about the stops along the way

Stop One - Bishops Storford - I need suggestions of a place to stop here still even if its just some where easy for a quick chat and to make sure we have not lost anyone, I know they hold a concourse event here so maybe if anyone knows more about that it might help?
13.1 miles and 28 mins later (approx.)

how is this sounding?
Have you concidered Finchingfield, not too far from the route and an amazing place for a group pic on the green?

May be too far though, but would be worth it and very easy to cut through to past Braintree on the A130 via chelmsford abd back on route again.

I so wish my se5 was up and running :cry:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=finchin ... CCEQ8gEwAA
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=finchi ... a=N&tab=li

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:29 am

Its a great idea 1949bug, but i might use it for the next one!

My se5 is not in action either so im going to be running in a morris minor, so your more than welcome in a non reliant! will PM you too,

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi guys, just wanted to get a confirm list for the run, so far we have the usual suspects -

Akuchanny - moggy minor (se5)
Scotdunc - coupe
Libidy - se5a
Jps72 - 1800Ti

Anyone else care to put their name down. hopefully the more names the more interest we can generate and get these runs growing and more frequent around the country. Also wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas of members to invite as I am happy to PM them and see if they are interested.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Okay guys, I just PM'd about 20 members who are closeish to the run, and hopefully we may (if I have not overly annoyed anyone) get a few more to join us. I hope!

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

jps72
RSSOC Member

Post by jps72 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Nogin on Wednesday. I'll have a word. It will however be my first nogin since last summer...

Matthew Gable
1800Ti
Previosly owned 1800Ti & Middlebridge (no. 40 if you're counting)

libidy54

Post by libidy54 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Come on Guys.

More of you needed !

Andy is putting a lot of effort into the run , for us all to enjoy.

Please let him know if you would like to attend, its great fun and nice to see ALL types of Scimitars been driven.

So lets see more names - don't forget to bring your cameras..... :D

See you there.

cheers

Mark

Return to “Car Shows”