alternative coupe register

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 pm

split from a for sale thread

Good luck with the sale.

Could you let me have chassis no and reg no (if known :wink: ) for the 'alternative' register please.
bolidenoir@mac.com

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Se4 straight six body shell and parts

Post by ScimitarMatt » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:49 pm

A polite reminder that there is no alternative register. The only official register of any of these cars is held by the club and the data collected is protected by their own gdpr and privacy policies.

If anyone other than the official club registrar asks for chassis and registration details then you run the risk of those details being unprotected.

Chris, you’ve done a great job of finding lost cars and adding to the club records and I’m grateful for that but I think it’s time you stopped purporting to be an alternative registrar. If you want the official job then offer your services to the club but please don’t ask for sensitive details from people who may not realise you are not a club officer.

I’m sorry I’ve felt the need to post this but it’s important that anyone sharing personal data does it in full knowledge of who is asking for it and who they are sharing it with.

The registrars advice is only ever share car details with an official club registrar

http://www.scimitargt.co.uk
RSSOC Coupe Registrar & Press Officer
coupe.registrar@rssoc.co.uk

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

'64 SE4, '70 SE4b,'75 SE5a, & Yvonnes SS1 Ti

Will Anderson
RSSOC Member

Post by Will Anderson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Irrespective of the point Matt makes about the Club register, a chassis number and registration number is not personal data and does not come under GDPR.

Only when the owner's details are provided does GDPR become relevant. Personal Data Definition

Will Anderson - RSSOC 4230 & Middlebridge Registrar
SE5a 1972, P.O. SE5a 1973 GOL 535L;
Middlebridge 14 & 42, P.O. Middlebridge 46 & 67

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Rather than alienating the person that’s adding to the coupe register, perhaps making Chris an assistant registrar would be a simple solution?

We’ve already had this discussion regarding the small sports register and the committee have agreed that (as Will says) providing names and addresses aren’t included, there’s no GDPR impact.

I’m going to move these last posts out of alfablacks for sale post.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:59 pm

If there is no alternative register there is an awful lot of it :lol:
Note that I did not ask in the name of the club, neither did I ask for name, address, bank card number ...
I have been collecting photos and data on Coupés for my own interest for decades.

I am not in a position to take on the club registrar's post even if it was vacant, I don't have time to fulfill all the necessary functions and it's a bit far to go to committee meetings :wink:
I also have the Scimitar France website and network to run.

The alternative - er - list is visible and downloadable on my site as are the photos of well over 400 cars.
I think this is appreciated by most Coupé owners.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018

JohnB
RSSOC Member

Post by JohnB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 pm

The alternative registrar has been extremely interesting, useful and generated lots of 'traffic' on the forum. I have seen a picture of my current coupe from many years ago, and it is good to see that the number of coupes being found is increasing and good for the marque and particularly the coupe. Keep going!

1965 Coupe S6

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm

What a very odd senario.

The coupe register sticky at the top of the coupe section has 9 pages since April 2009.

Chris's "Alternative Coupe Register" thread has 41 pages since September 2018. There has been lots of engaugement & Chris has been proactive. One of the things that seems to get a good response is the number of period photos of cars, who doesn't like to see a photo of their car from many years ago.

From my own viewpoint, when I bought my coupe, I emailed Matt with details of my car & ownership, to the email on the sticky and his coupe website, which is quite separate to the club site / forum. I never heard anything again. When I sent Chris the details after his request, I got a brief note of thanks & on the next list update, I could see the listing was updated.

Now, I know enthusiasm comes & goes, time is necessarily dedicated to other things in life. However, it does seem churlish to chastise enthusiasm & quite clearly, by volume, interest, when it could be embraced...

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

gary c

Post by gary c » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Obviously there is an alternative register and very interesting it has been and I hope will,continue to be . Please don't let any negative comments put you off continuing with this, no one as any right to say otherwise

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Agreed. And tbh I'm very surprised that a club officer would A: be so unappreciative of someone's efforts and B: go further and actually accuse them of purporting. Seems to me more like Chris has just been taking up the slack? Same as Ben, my details were sent to the club registrar regarding all the Coupes I've had in my possession and nothing came of it whereas Chris has replied with info and photos.

Keep up the good work

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
1973 Beige Se5a Overdrive
2005 Honda S2000
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:22 am

BigBobPilot wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm
What a very odd senario.

The coupe register sticky at the top of the coupe section has 9 pages since April 2009.

Chris's "Alternative Coupe Register" thread has 41 pages since September 2018. There has been lots of engaugement & Chris has been proactive. One of the things that seems to get a good response is the number of period photos of cars, who doesn't like to see a photo of their car from many years ago.

From my own viewpoint, when I bought my coupe, I emailed Matt with details of my car & ownership, to the email on the sticky and his coupe website, which is quite separate to the club site / forum. I never heard anything again. When I sent Chris the details after his request, I got a brief note of thanks & on the next list update, I could see the listing was updated.

Now, I know enthusiasm comes & goes, time is necessarily dedicated to other things in life. However, it does seem churlish to chastise enthusiasm & quite clearly, by volume, interest, when it could be embraced...
My feelings exactly after similar experiences with Chris
Well done

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 am

I think Chris's enthusiasm, commitment and support of the Coupe is exemplary.

The "official" register as published has not reflected any changes I've submitted, the first of which I sent in 2012.

I do agree with the view that there is no "alternative" register. The one Chris maintains through his hard work is the register to which I can relate and it is something I very much support and appreciate.

The point of Slice, Scimitarweb and the registers is perpetuation of knowledge and experience about the Marque and different Models. It allows individual cars to be traced over time and provides the tapestry for those that follow. Chris is providing a much needed mechanism for us to fill in details for those who own the cars after us.

Slice, Scimitarweb and the registers are an important club asset in a way that other forms of social media do not support and there are large holes in the stories of our SE4s.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:04 pm

As a former model registrar I would simply say that it is unreasonable to expect one person to push all aspects of the role. It would take a very dedicated person with plentiful time to do so.
I offered what I could and failed to achieve many things that I had hoped but enjoyed my time and feel I added something during the course of it.

In an ideal world every registrar would attend shows, committee meetings, reply to everything, proactively hunt cars, answer / redirect technical questions and be hosting an accessible online vehicle library . But that is an unrealistic expectation! Matt does a good job, Chris does his own thing in an "alternative" non official capacity which has been of great interest to the forum. I should like to think there is some middle ground and positive solution to be found going forward.

Oh and just for reference :arrow:
reliant-reviver wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:47 am
If you're really rather keen, you could always approach Matt and see how dearly he wants to hold onto the position.

I was short of volunteers when I wanted to step away from SS1 registrar.

You don't ask, you don't get!

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Thank you all for your support, also for the pm/emails received.

The other list has been updated today with a car for sale in Switzerland, the ad spotted by Phil Howard ...
http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 22#p483322

Chris Johnson

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm

I can’t claim the credit for that one, Chris :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Oh bum, well sorry whoever it was, or perhaps I dreamed it.

Chris Johnson

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”