Historic class issues

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

james couper
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by james couper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Car is now over 40 years, received tax reminder, phoned DVLA to find out how to get it class as Historic, informed to write Historic in section 7 of V5 sign / date it take it to Post Office, who will deal with it. Of to Post Office just to be told we cant change it. I said you can post it to DVLA cant you, no we cant post it was the answer. Phoned DVLA again told take it to Post office, tried another Post Office showed the lady a cope of the DVLA page, only to be told that's wrong.
I seem to be stuck in the middle. I remember there was something in SLICE stating how to get the car registered as Historic but cant seem to find the right issue. Has anyone else had problems, what the right procedure.

rebel alliance

Historic class issues

Post by rebel alliance » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:59 pm

If it was 40 years old this year i understand you can't change to historic class till next year ..It will be mot exempt but not tax exempt..At the correct time i posted a v5 to dvla and they sent it back after a week or so.

Steve_S

Historic class issues

Post by Steve_S » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 pm

I had the same problem had to wait till the end of the tax year WHY who knows ! So my car was 41years and 4 months old then at post office wasn't a problem changing to historic

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Steve_S wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 pm
WHY who knows !
Because the Historic class for free VED is a tax giveaway (and everything to your advantage is always a tax year behind) - the MoT exemption isn’t.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

james couper
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by james couper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Car was 40 year in January, i.e. 40 years before April new tax year, DVLA said it would qualify, the problem is with the Post Office, tried two different Post Offices, who were not interested in even trying they simply said its not something that they can do. ??
So do i post them, which is not what DVLA said or is it the Post Office who should post them or change the class status. ???

cannonball
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by cannonball » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm

From the dvla pages......

"Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax
You do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1979.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was first registered between 1 and 7 January 1979, you do not have to pay vehicle tax."
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

And if it is like mine and just a few days after then you are up the creek until next year for declaring it as historic although they will quite happily take your money at the P.O. and licence your car providing you take a copy of form V112 (self certification ).
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-from-mot

If it was over forty on the dates above the po would take your money along with your v5 declaring as historic and then send that off to Swansea.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Then you can feel like a criminal and drive around without an mot.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:39 am

Agree with cannonball's and Phil's posts above in relation to the VED point.

Also I would add that you may not get MOT exemption either. :( The mulberry car was built in Feb '79 (from the chassis number) and first registered on 1st April '79, build date on the V5 is listed as "1979". When recently re-taxing it (the tax is now slightly out of step with the original anniversary), I was expecting to be presented with an option to declare VHI and become MOT exempt (as the car is now over 40 years old), but the system didn't give me that option.

So I queried it with DVLA, and explained the facts above, and said that I thought they would either take the 40th anniversary of the build date, or if they didn't want to rely on the translation of the chassis number, then the 40th anniversary of the first registration date (on the grounds that the car must have existed then).

They explained that as the date of manufacture on the V5 was only specified as "1979" the right to apply for VHI would only kick in on December 31st 2019 :shock: They went on to say that this didn't have to be the case, it could apply from the 40th anniversary of the build date, and they would happily change the build date on the V5 to allow this to happen. All that was required was for me to provide evidence of the actual build date, *to an accuracy of the actual day*, and they'd change it....... At that point I decided life's too short to be dealing with a system which had omitted common sense from the list of requirements. In any case the car is MOT'ed to mid 2020 anyway so I left it at that. VHI will presumably become an option next year, when I change to Historic class and become Tax Free.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:39 am
At that point I decided life's too short to be dealing with a system which had omitted common sense from the list of requirements.
Quite right there Roger, also a department who despite modern computers and the like are unable or unwilling to manage to refund unused road fund license when a car changes hands or charge new owner less than a full month on the 29th of a month when taxing the new one, a primary school child could work that out!

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

james couper
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by james couper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 pm

My car was reg in 1978 car therefore well over the 40 year, my problem is that the Post Office would not send it and said that the information given in the DVLA web site in that my V5 and other doc's should be taken to a Post Office that deal with vehicle tax and they would post my V5 to DVLA was incorrect. They did not even wish to look at my documents or check the DVLA Historic Tax web site.
I phoned DVLA they confirmed that the Post Office was the correct place to take my V5 and doc's. Went back to the Post Office with as much information as possible, they took my V5 four weeks later contacted DVLA to find out the current situation, they stated that they never received my V5, as i had no V5 had to pay 25.00 for a new one. DVLA would not change the new V5 to Historic until i signed it as Historic and take it to you guessed it a Post Office. Post Office denied taking my V5.
I have made a complaint to the Post Office and someone is going to phone me tomorrow. I will send my V5 / V112 direct to DVLA, but i will pursue the issue with the Post Office as someone else may have the same problems

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 am

james couper wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 pm
My car was reg in 1978......
Ah ha! When you previously said
james couper wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 pm
Car was 40 year in January,.....
I thought you meant January 2019, not 2018, I see where you're coming from now :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by scimjim » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:54 am

My wife worked in a Post Office when the Horizon computer system first came in. Despite any problems it may have with accounting (the very reason it was introduced :roll: ) it’s a simple option to change VED class to Historic (they just need to know where to find it), then they send the V5C to DVLA.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

james couper
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by james couper » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm

I had a nice conversation with the chap from the Post Office, getting 25.00 from them for my lost V5, he could not understand what is problem with this Post Office.
He said all you have to do is take your V5 to a Post Office, they can scan the bar code or enter the details manually, once the details are on the screen, they should go to tax change, change it to Historic. Then send the front part of the V5 to DVLA. Please note the new V5 forms you write Historic in section for tax change, no need to sign or date, older V5 it is section 7 that you write Historic, sign and date it.
Went to a different Post Office was in for five minutes, lady was very helpful, scanned bar code, tax section changed on-line, front part V5 put into blue bag, postal slip given. At same time handed over a V112 (MOT) form, no MOT required recorded on-line, happy days.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Historic class issues

Post by scimjim » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Result :D

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”