A warning to use all - especially the youngsters

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Post by Rev Light » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Today I was at my mother's, blacking a set of Dunlop composite wheels I have stored there. When I popped out the front to do another chore for the old dear. There was a car parked opposite next door, that I did not recognise and the driver came out to talk to me. He had driven many miles to pick up a van that he had bought off ebay and was wondering where my mother's neighbours were. And why they weren't answering their phone. Well, I am well aware that the neighbours are retired and were on Holiday and I was also well aware that he does not deal in Vans. I let it be known that it was highly unlikely that the neighbours had anything to do with dealing vans. And that they were not in this weekend.

It turns out that this fella had driven from god knows where (a long way) to pick up a van that he had bought (bank transfer) sight unseen and was now £3500 down. He really had my sympathy, as he was a youngster (late 20's), with partner in tow, and did not look as if he was in the position to lose that much cash. He went on his way.

Later in the day, there was a knock on my mother's front door and another youngster was enquiring where the next door neighbours were....You can guess. A similar situation, but this time 'just' £1200 lost. Partner in the car waiting.

A bitter pill to swallow for the pair of them. Youngsters have a hard enough time getting started in today's times. But some lessons can be too expensive in the learning. But a bank transfer? Sight unseen? Oh dear.

And 'Pete *****' the seller of these fictitious vehicles, may you rot in hell. Whatever your real name is.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 am

The really terrible thing about these scams is that very few of them get investigated and prosecuted. The Police response for this type of crime is sadly totally lacking. Though I lay the blame for this squarely with the government policy and cutbacks rather than officers themselves.

The whole system has been setup so that unless you can get a refund from a bank (seems unlikely in this case) the victims will just have to take the loss and the fraudster will almost certainly get away with it.

Its easy to criticise people for being nieve when it comes to these transfers, but both banks and the government have pushed them quite heavily. Banks love online banking as it lets them close branches, governments love it as it reduces the use of cash and allows them to monitor transactions.

The knock on is that hardly anyone uses cash for big purchases anymore. Every bank now has an app, online banking has been normalised. 'Would you like to use Apple Pay sir?' There is a real shortage in education around Electronic Banking and Money. The distinction between making a comparatively safe card payment to a company and a potentially risky BACS payment to a bank account are not things taught in schools, by banks or by public bodies.

Add to that the internet means the line between paying a company and an individual are very easily blurred. A website can be created advertising a product that looks totally legit, dial in some "pull" elements such as a bargain price, a (false) UK address and perhaps a familiar brand name and its a scammers paradise, complete with fake reviews. Scammers are adept at pushing buttons they drive victims to make payments quickly to secure products.

The internet was just starting to get big when I started secondary school in 1997. It was new and exciting and embraced a kind of geekish freedom, a a new online Anarchism. But it was also an unregulated wild space, chaotic and potentially dangerous.

As Big corporates, banks and online empires moved online they transformed this perception; creating a veneer of safety and security into which the internet experience has been normalised to the point that anyone who is not really tech savvy could easily be caught out.

I'm not out to excuse the buyer in this case, they have clearly done something very silly but I do recon its interesting to think about how we got to this point.

The boundaries between the safe and unsafe online have never been less clear. Maybe the real lesson is that cash is still king, that there's no substitute for seeing the goods in person and that the internet is still the wild west...

Intersting topic.
Joe

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Post by Rattling » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:48 am

That's an awful situation for the buyers to be in ,clearly there is a lot of it about,cash is king but that also can have its problems too .The old maxim if it sounds to good to be true it usually is ,should be used at all times .

Colin

1800 Ti

cannonball
RSSOC Member

Post by cannonball » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 am

A few years ago there was a knock at the door and here was a guy asking if I was the seller of some kind of fancy breed of dog. He had already been round the corner at a street with a similar name but no joy there either and enquired if there were any other streets with similar names. Turns out that he and his partner/missus had travelled a considerable distance and I mean hundreds of miles to pick up this non existent animal. Then a panicked look swept his face as he said hope nobody is doing my house whilst we are up here.

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:31 am

Why do people do bank transfers before seeing the vehicle I have bought and sold a couple of classic cars in the past and on both cases
have only done bank transfers once I have seen the vehicle and paperwork and am satisfied. This works both ways and a bank transfer
takes minutes to go through.

Also you sometimes have to tax the vehicle if sorn again can be done over the phone providing you have the 12 digit number on the V5.

You also have to have insurance in place to drive it.

CarlosVanDango

Post by CarlosVanDango » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:44 am

Joe. wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 am
Though I lay the blame for this squarely with the government policy and cutbacks rather than officers themselves.
i lay the blame at our inept and weak judicial system - if we had harsher punishments then we wouldn't need as many police as there would be less criminals committing crime

mountainlaurel

Post by mountainlaurel » Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Paypal is very buyer-friendly and is the best way to deal with this sort of transaction. They're very good about refunding money if the seller can't provide proof they actually delivered the item.

Even so, I'd never buy a vehicle sight unseen. That's just madness.

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”