MOT exemption

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

roymck
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by roymck » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 am

Just a note , I did tax a car once without insurance . Insured a car that had been off the road for a bit and was told by insurance Co Hagerty that it would take 24/48 hours to appear on the insurance database as insured . Came off the phone to them and taxed it instantly on line .
A big but to this is that DVLA would possibly issue a fine if laterly they found out it was not insured .Maybe a one off glitch but I did it .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by scimjim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:05 am

David Tew wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 am
It does need to be in the Historic tax class though.
where is this documented?

Due to the two different systems, there is a period between being 40 years old and becoming qualified for Historic VED - I believe that you can be MOT exempt without being Historic Class?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:53 am

scimjim wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:05 am
David Tew wrote:

Due to the two different systems, there is a period between being 40 years old and becoming qualified for Historic VED - I believe that you can be MOT exempt without being Historic Class?
Agreed - that's the problem I'm currently struggling to get my head around, as it's very applicable in my case. I'll write a longer note about it when I've got all the facts together...

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

David Tew
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by David Tew » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:05 am

scimjim wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:05 am
David Tew wrote:

True, but I was taxing the car as well and it needs to be in the Historic class to qualify for free road tax. I didn't bother with declaring the car MOT-exempt until it was actually mobile. :wink:

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

scimjim
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by scimjim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 am

I think this is getting confusing because there are two different systems that are totally unique but DVLA/DVSA have managed to confuse the issue by linking them on the online tax page.

MOT exemption is automatic at 40 providing the car is unmodified (VHI) - no need to do anything at all. HOWEVER when you next tax the car online there is a tick box to declare your car is VHI.

Historic Class VED must be applied for when the car becomes eligible (which can be quite some time after it reaches 40).

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am

Here's my note as promised earlier. Hope it doesn't confuse things further :)

I'm still not clear. Lets consider a real life example (the Yellow Peril).

Firstly, note the car is currently taxed, insured, MOTed, and on-the road.

It was built in October 1978 (as shown by the chassis number)

However, it wasn't first registered until March 1979, and was "declared new at first reg." so the "year of manufacture" on the V5 is shown as "1979" :( As I understand it, that means that DVLA consider it's notional build date to be March 1979

Again, as I understand it, MOT exemption starts from age 40. So that means it will become MOT exempt from March 2019?

Now, (again, as I understand it), as far as VED is concerned, a notional build date of March 1979 means that it won't become Tax-Exempt until April 2020?

That means until April 2020, I'll still be paying VED. Furthermore, to complicate matters a bit more, I pay my VED by monthly DD. I have done since the system came in. It makes budgeting far easier, and avoids any risk of forgetting (both well worth the slight extra charge, which I don't happen to agree with, but never mind). So I haven't wasted my life in a Post Office queue or received a V11 through the post, then gone on-line, for years.

So, the $64.000 question is, bearing in mind that the car will not become historic tax class, i.e. tax-free, until April 2020, and is always "taxed up to date" does the process at March 2019 still follow that outlined by Paul (with the exception, of course, that the tax will still be payable)? Or if not, just what *is* the process????? (the current MOT will, of course, run out during this March 2019 - April 2020 time period)

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

David Tew
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by David Tew » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:29 pm

scimjim wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 am
.... there are two different systems that are totally unique ....
Jim, that's a good precis and probably better answers Trevor's question.
Roger Pennington wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am
.... just what *is* the process?????
Roger, you've just frazzled my brain! The DVLA/DVSA couldn't have made it less clear. :bh

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:03 pm

scimjim wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 am
I think this is getting confusing because there are two different systems that are totally unique but DVLA/DVSA have managed to confuse the issue by linking them on the online tax page.

MOT exemption is automatic at 40 providing the car is unmodified (VHI) - no need to do anything at all. HOWEVER when you next tax the car online there is a tick box to declare your car is VHI.

Historic Class VED must be applied for when the car becomes eligible (which can be quite some time after it reaches 40).

That's my understanding. My GTE runs out of MOT before it needs re-taxing, so as I understand it, the car is automatically exempt from the requirement of an MOT and therefore it is legal to drive. When the tax is due (which will be free as the car is coincidentally tax exempt) I will need to tick a box to say that it has not been extensively modified and will need to do that each time it needs taxing, but this is to confirm that it is largely original and validates rather than claims the MOT exemption. If the car was extensively modified then I would not qualify for exemption and if I ticked the box I would be committing an offence.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

TrevorG

MOT exemption

Post by TrevorG » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Many thanks all.. I'm still a way off, but nice to know. Just put the block and crank in the back of the landy this morning, ready to take them for rebore and crank regrind.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by ScimmyMike » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:29 pm

I believe that if your car was taxed albeit for zero payment and Mot'd at the time when that MOT expires you need to make the necessary declaration as Plod's system will just show as MOT expired, though from other FB pages a lot of Plod don't even know 40+ cars post 1960 don't require Lot's now

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

rebel alliance

MOT exemption

Post by rebel alliance » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm just glad that i spent about two minutes last May re taxing and ticking one box on the Mot exemption form page, before it all got inexplicably complicated 😊

scimjim
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by scimjim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:29 pm
I believe that if your car was taxed albeit for zero payment and Mot'd at the time when that MOT expires you need to make the necessary declaration as Plod's system will just show as MOT expired, though from other FB pages a lot of Plod don't even know 40+ cars post 1960 don't require Lot's now
And that’s why it’s getting confusing - internet myths.

Jim King

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Had to go and lie down in a darkened room after typing the my last post... :lol:

Rebel, It's much easier if as in many of the examples given above, your car is already Tax Exempt (Historic Class) before MOT exemption arrives. The possible issues arise where a car becomes MOT exempt first. This will always be an issue for the "new crop" of 40-year old cars, where MOT exemption could come up to 16 months before Tax exemption.

So reading through the latest notes on this thread, we now seem to have come round to saying that the penultimate paragraph in the DfT/FBHVC letter quoted earlier
There is no requirement, either intended or implied, that at the point a vehicle becomes 40 years old and providing the vehicle has not been substantially changed, for the owner to make a declaration to any statutory body, declaring that the vehicle is a vehicle of historic interest and is therefore no longer required to have a valid MOT certificate.
is actually perfectly correct?

(note at this point that I thought, working from memory, that the date of first reg was March 79, in fact on checking the V5 it seems to be Feb 79). So I can expect that in February 2019 my car will become MOT exempt, and that the DVLA website will update automatically, and show "information not available" (or whatever the wording currently is)?

That still leaves the other side of the question, that as I'm paying my tax by monthly DD, it just rolls from one month to the next without me being subject to any demands for "Tax due", so at what point do I declare VHI? Does it have to wait until I make the tax class change to "Historic" (April 2020) or can it be done at some other date?
Note - the DVLA enquiry system does actually show a notional "Tax Due Date" of 1st May 2019, the slightly later date is presumably a legacy of some slippage in the renewals before my ownership. I won't get a renewal notice at that time, but is that the moment when I need to declare VHI?

....Roger

rebel alliance

MOT exemption

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:45 pm

?
Last edited by rebel alliance on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

MOT exemption

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:55 pm

The 'Practical Classics' magazine Facebook page yesterday added a copy of a letter from DfT to Bob Owen of FBHVC clarifying the position re: MOT exemption. PC suggests printing a copy and keeping it in the car (which I intend to do) in case stopped by the Police.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”