Insurance for multiple locations

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am

As well as having my own garage at home I also, like many of you I know, rent a lock-up not far away from home. I have asked on here before about others' experience with insurance companies' attitudes to keeping a car away from home, and that issue is settled. What I have not seen mentioned afaicr is the issue of moving cars around between these two locations.

My situation is now that I don't want to keep one car always at my home, and another always in the lock-up. I want to move them around according to my needs. Typically I want to have one car at my home garage while I am working on it, then when that is completed move it to the lock-up and bring the car previously there home to work on *that*. Depending on which job I am doing and how long it takes me, the cars could swap their storage location maybe half a dozen times a year.

Now it seems a bit OTT to notify typically different insurers every few weeks that I am moving cars around. But if I don't, I run the risk of their 'you didn't notify us' get-out clause if anything goes wrong. Does anyone else have this situation, and if so how do you address it? (or do you just keep quiet and hope nothing goes wrong?). How do insurance companies react to "Where is the vehicle normally kept? Well, it could be here or it might be there" ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Post by David Tew » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 pm

It probably hinges on how you define "normally". I take it to mean "most of the time" so as long as the car is in one specific location for at least 183 days of the year then that is the normal location. It can be elsewhere for the other 182 days (OK, ignore leap years!).

As long as the car is insured when you move it I can't see it being a real problem. However, it may depend on how pedantic your insurers want to be. May be worth speaking to them to get their spin on "normally". :wink:
Last edited by David Tew on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes…including you.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 pm

I have had none standard clauses written into my insurance contracts with RH. They referred it to the underwriters who will OK it or not and offer a new premium if required. I have two storage locations and business use in person on my classic policies, something that others would have said impossible.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:04 pm

I explained the situation, and told them that I have "these garages" (with location/postcode), and "these cars" but that the two are independent of each other, so any car could be in any garage (or in the case of the SS1, sometimes not in any one of them, as being my daily driver, it is actually insured to be parked on the street, despite normally being garaged). They were happy with that.

So there is no "normal", (at least in my case) in relation to where the car lives.

As far as garaging goes, I don't think any of my policies have made any reference to "normally" - the stipulation has been that it "must" be garaged "while at your home address" (which extends up to 1 mile around my actual home address). If I'm away, for example visiting relatives, staying in a hotel, at a car show, or whatever, then the garaging requirement doesn't apply.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm the same as Roger. I have 3 cars here in Newport. I told my insurance that at least two are kept in garages, though they may be different from day to day, at a different post code than my home and the other which ever it is will be on the street outside my home. They (three different insurance companies) seemed quite understanding.
Regards Terry H

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Well, what can I say? Many thanks to all, as always a great response and useful information. I shall have a chat with my insurers.
:)

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm in a similar position - Scimitar at home, Boxster in a lockup 1/2 a mile away. I've just had to renew the Boxster insurance, and using the comparison websites, it was surprisingly cheap. However, the Meerkat doesn't give you the option to specify 'kept in a lockup 1/2 a mile away', and when I got down to the nitty gritty with each individual insurer, and told them the lockup location, it went up substantially (like doubled the premium!).

Going on my experience at least, you might find the car you normally keep at home attracts a higher premium once you tell them it could be garaged elsewhere.

Or maybe (hopefully) your insurers will be more reasonable than the ones compare the market etc suggest?

Cheers, and best of luck

Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”