breakdown Recovery AA vs RAC or who?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Post by chrisgallacher » Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 am

reliant-reviver wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 am
As with all these things be prepared to shop about if renewals come up more expensive. Ours came through cheaper last year IIRC.
We're with the AA and this is the one thing which really pi$$es me off. Every year they reward our 'loyalty' by sending out a renewal at vastly inflated rates. A quick irritated phone call and I get an instant and significant (40%??) reduction just for the asking.

I disapprove of this business model which - as the AA well know - relies on peoples' inertia not to challenge quotes or move to a different supplier. But clearly I don't disapprove enough to actually move, so it would seem it does work...

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Thu May 03, 2018 9:57 am

I always have breakdown cover included on my insurance.
Regards Terry H

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 am

Alan SS1 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:57 pm
probably been asked before
some previous discussions:

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... &hilit=rac

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 7d863df011

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... &hilit=rac

the club used to have a discount code for the RAC so probably worth asking any prospective supplier for a classic car club discount?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm

scimjim wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 am
We're with the AA and this is the one thing which really pi$$es me off. Every year they reward our 'loyalty' by sending out a renewal at vastly inflated rates. A quick irritated phone call and I get an instant and significant (40%??) reduction just for the asking.
Thanks JIm

I was hoping some recent 'experience' might flavour my choice :-)

Chris ref this comment

this was what we got last year , and guess what' ? same again. i'll maybe phone them nearer renewal (if AUTO AID doesn't be acceptable to SWAMBO)

i can't knock the AA service (when used) just the amount they ask is getting daft, having to ask for a discount.

and for the last call-out I ended up doing the repair (I'd called them when hissing down) but when they turned up it wasn't any more so swapped out the dizzy rather than tow home. young lad was younger than the car! and I am concerned that 'no diagnostics plug = tow :wink:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:05 pm

scimmy ben wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:36 am
drcdb15 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:01 pm
PS just to be clear, that £48 covers recovery, roadside, home start, all your cars, either you or spouse/partner driving, trailers, caravans, etc etc. If money is *really* tight, they also do car-specific cover starting at £29!
I have also had autoaid before - the one difference is that it is reimbursable - you have the work done and pay for it and they refund. Reports are that they refund quickly but it does mean you need your own pot of gold or a credit agreement.
GEM is another widely used service, and they too had this pay now reclaim later feature. I had GEM for a year but again the prices went up.

And as someone else has pointed out, AutoAid has now changed to the usual no payment at the time operation. I think you will still have to pay for any parts required to effect a repair to get you running, but all services are like that.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 pm

chrisgallacher wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 am
If the renewal quote angers you enough to make one phone call, why call the very people who repeatedy upset you? Why not call another company instead? You could call *any* company at random and likely still save money, as almost everyone is cheaper than the AA! Even if the new company upsets you, at least you won't be paying so much for the privilege. You could get three years' worth of anger and upset from AutoAid for the price of one year with the AA :lol:

PS: After nearly 40 years of 'loyalty' to Lloyds they treated me disgracefully. 'Loyalty' means nothing. I even got it in writing: I wrote 'doesn't 37 years of customer loyalty count for anything?' and they wrote back words to the effect 'Nope'. And that was back in the nineties. I sincerely hope no-one here has any misplaced illusions about how *any* financial sector company treats the concept of 'loyalty'.

Chris

jag12
RSSOC Member

Post by jag12 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Looked at RAC a couple of years ago and looking at small print they seemed to exclude vans and other commercial vehicles
Stayed with AA as it is any vehicle cover even if as a passenger
Just have to ring them at renewal to complain,now fixed for 2 years at a price less than paid 4 years ago 🤔

GTC GOC383W. GTE 6a PFG814R. SSI 1600. B46SNX

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Post by chrisgallacher » Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 pm

drcdb15 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:33 pm
You could get three years' worth of anger and upset from AutoAid for the price of one year with the AA :lol:
That is, I suspect, sound advice :lol:

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:20 pm

jag12 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Stayed with AA as it is any vehicle cover even if as a passenger
So exactly the same as AutoAid, except three times as expensive... I'm not on commission for AutoAid, honest :lol:
jag12 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm
Just have to ring them at renewal to complain,
Really I don't get this ringing up to complain. I know Martin Lewis on MSE always encourages folks to haggle (even on car recovery) but the simple fact is, haggling is CONFLICT, and whilst fine if you're a del boy and enjoy the sport most of us are really uncomfortable with it (even I am, and I used to be a professional negotiator!) So why do it?

The days of having to choose between the AA or RAC are DECADES behind us, there are loads of alternatives out there, and every single one of them will offer a loss-leader price to get your business. So why make a call you know will be stressful and make you uncomfortable, when you could talk to someone who actually *wants* to do a deal with you?

I NEVER call to haggle an increased premium, I just vote with my feet and take my business elsewhere. I'd much rather talk with someone new who is keen to get me as a customer than have an awkward call with a firm that has, to put it bluntly, insulted my intelligence and treated me with disdain. I am astonished anyone would even consider staying with a firm like that. Would you go back to a restaurant that over charged you for the meal - and haggle about the price on the menu?

And when they call me and ask why I have left, I tell them bluntly, 'because you treat me like I'm some kind of mug'. Then they offer me some huge discount to stay and I tell them they should have thought of that before - if they can offer that price now, why didn't they offer it up front?

[rant/off] :roll:

Chris

Lee
RSSOC Member

Post by Lee » Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 am

I agree that all this "haggling" trend is annoying and technically the broker is supposed to come up with the cheapest price, best hey, we all know that they do FA and go for whoever is paying them the best commission, so unfortunately, if you don't want your trousers pulled down, you have do the dance, but in regards to breakdown cover, be careful, as although AA are the most expensive (normally) they do cover YOU and that means whatever the vehicle you happen to be in, driving, or riding at the time. When you look further into some of the other companies, you might find that they only cover the recorded vehicle, I.E. the one that you submitted on the application.
I too balked at the recent renewal from the AA, but when I look at the mileage I do (motorways mainly and you know how much it costs to get towed off there) and the fact that it also covers my wife and her car, the GTE, my 50 year old Vespa and then if I'm in another vehicle it doesn't sound so bad.
My main rational, is I have no spare wheel in my daily car, like so many other newer vehicles, just a stupid can of snot and a compressor. Not a great deal of use when I have shredded the Tyre carcus off at 70 and need to be towed off just to get a Tyre, so that peace of mind you have knowing that the largest breakdown company might not leave you stranded for too long does suddenly come to mind.
Just a thought.

"Obviously your ambition outweighed your talent"

reliant1

Post by reliant1 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:48 am

I have mine with RH insurance had a fall out left light on check over car and jumped all very quick

previous reliants super robin , kitten ss1, Currently SS1 1600 tarn green brought back again

BusaPhill

Post by BusaPhill » Sat May 05, 2018 10:25 am

AA I would never touch the RAC or any of the other companies.

1979 Scimitar SE6A V6 3.1 4speed Auto
2005 Mercedes C320 V6 3.0 7speed Auto (Diesel Daily Driver).

Jimscim
RSSOC Member

Post by Jimscim » Sat May 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Green Flag every time . It comes free with my bank ? I have had it for 5 years now , have only used it twice and have no complaints.

RSSOC 3408 1979/80 Scimitar 6a . Mulberry with white stripe .

BusaPhill

Post by BusaPhill » Sat May 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Things to remember if you get Breakdown Cover via you Bank/Insurance

Most will only cover you for Roadside.
Some not all only cover you for Twenty Miles Recovery with Roadside.
You do need to check what cover you actually have.
Don't leave it till you breakdown.
Comparing like for like is the only way.

Green Flag is Francised to garage agents.

1979 Scimitar SE6A V6 3.1 4speed Auto
2005 Mercedes C320 V6 3.0 7speed Auto (Diesel Daily Driver).

Ian Lock

Post by Ian Lock » Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 pm

I agree all this " haggling " "moaning " and just to get things a bit cheaper , I can't be bothered with it I would rather be out washing and polishing one of my classic cars .
Anyway I leave that up to her in doors , she seams to get a lot of discount on many things for us .

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”