breakdown Recovery AA vs RAC or who?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 pm

That time of year again. AA renewal dropped through the door last month and up to £243, but generous as they are they even included a couple of "thank you" discounts to choose from, the same cover at the price of 10 months (£201) or £10 off for giving them my home or motor insurance renewal date.

Anyway, 8 minutes on the phone this morning and we were straight down to £130 with next years renewal frozen. Better get on and have some breakdowns to make it worthwhile!

As an aside I see the AA and RAC are laying it on heavy with their promotional campaigns at the moment.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:53 pm

I renewed my cover over a month ago, and I thought I wouldn't comment on it since every year this topic does rather get done to death. However, since you've posted, I'll tell you:

1. I did an exhaustive search around, and again found AutoAid the best for my personal criteria - though more expensive than last year. Cover for me and wife, any car, no limits in number of cars, age of cars, annual mileage or any other factor, UK only, includes home start etc etc - £59.99.
2. There are plenty of other firms offering 'cover' at even less than this, starting at around £53, but they limit the policy to one car, or only up to 10 years old, etc.
3. Car breakdown services are now covered by the price comparison websites, and here is a screen shot of some of the results I got when I was doing my searching back in early June (iirc). Taking out the personal aspects, you'll see immediately that pretty much the same cover varies from £53 to over £150, quite apart from any AA/RAC issues.
As I said earlier in this thread, horses for courses :D
Screenshot_2019-06-12 Resultsa.png
Screenshot_2019-06-12 Resultsa.png (184.62 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

jag12
RSSOC Member

Post by jag12 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Interesting little clause in the small print

“You must make sure that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition at all times and it has been maintained and serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.”

Guess that’s down to the discretion of the person attending

GTC GOC383W. GTE 6a PFG814R. SSI 1600. B46SNX

drcdb15

Post by drcdb15 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Well the first bit is self-evident I'd have thought, for anyone who values their life. In any case that's a condition of every car insurance policy I've ever seen, and also of course an obligation in common law (and probably in the RTA too). The second part is OK too, because it carries an implied "as far as is reasonably practicable". For example, a kit car maker doesn't normally offer "manufacturer's recommendations", nor does a home/special builder. Just because something is in a contract doesn't mean it will stand up in court. Common law dominates, also other statutory law such as Unfair Contract Terms etc. Provided you'd been reasonably careful in prepping your car you'll be OK. These clauses are designed purely as get-outs for the case of the irresponsible and reckless idiots who stick a V8 in a Model T then claim historics so no MoT needed as they do the ton through the High Street (and then, in the case of the recovery policies, break down). No one on here is likely to fall into *that* category ... :w
:lol:

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

jag12
RSSOC Member

Post by jag12 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Stopped at motorway services last year ant there was an AA van parked by a Renault Traffic removing the front wheel.
Came out later after a coffee to find the full front suspension stripped and on the ground with the AA man underneath belting something with a lump hammer.
Watched till he crawled out and proceeded to put it back together :o

GTC GOC383W. GTE 6a PFG814R. SSI 1600. B46SNX

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:59 pm

sorry to prolong this thread :-(
can't really fault the AA guy that rocked up within fifteen minutes of my phone call, (during rush hour) and agreed instantly that with large puddle of oil appearing under car and 20W/50 liberally applied to most of engine that it 'was not a roadside repair' (camshaft seal had dropped out ! )

only down side was that the 'repair report' sent to e-mail address simply said 'not possible to fix at roadside', I'd have liked a small explanation as to why so that if I need to call them again then they realise that reason for previous callout is that a camshaft oil seal is 'unlikely' to be carried as a spare :w

oh and SWAMBO buckled when we got quoted a fiver less than last year's quote (after VERY quick phone call :-) )

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:20 pm

I suppose the crucial difference is on the one hand you are buying an insurance policy with a brokered service contract that is in theory all dandy but does give greater potential for head aches. Then with the other established services (AA RAC) you are buying into a broad service membership with its own outright network.

At this current time in life with a young family it is money well spent for the reassurance of being able to summon a patrol anywhere in the country and usually in an impressively short time.

So I'm afraid that whilst it hurts me to spend more money than I "have" to, you will soon be missing out on your Auto Aid commission this year Chris! :lol:

Philip Andrew.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:22 pm

The point of posting really was to merely underline they importance of pushing back at renewal time otherwise these thieving gits get away with bloody murder. 15 million members of the AA. How many forget or are too lazy to pick the phone up each year..

Philip Andrew.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:42 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:22 pm
The point of posting really was to merely underline they importance of pushing back at renewal time otherwise these thieving gits get away with bloody murder. 15 million members of the AA. How many forget or are too lazy to pick the phone up each year..
IMO they don't deserve your custom Phil, they'll keep doing that unless current customers walk en mass to another providor, I'm with Britannia Rescue, been paying the same giver or take IPT changes since 2014 for rescue personal membership me and the wife with daughter's car named on policy which also gives her cover as well

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”