Spot the Scimitar - fun caption quiz

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am

I was born in Mdina, also known as the Silent City, so I suppose I should shut up. :|

But "IF" the club did have plans for an apartment in Malta "AND" I keep annoying folk, can I go find one, and test drive it?? :?:

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Nick_B_GTE

Post by Nick_B_GTE » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:39 pm

scimjim wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 pm
Why does the members list need to be accurate?
Fake news - Who wants an inaccurate member list?!
scimjim wrote:
Do you know any other forum that culls it’s membership list annually?
We could be the first!! :D
scimjim wrote:
Who decides if a member has lost interest or has just not logged in for a while?
Someone with grey matter!
scimjim wrote:
Ronnie made his point and the discussion was had. He couldn’t offer any workable method of implementing his wishes, yet continued his rhetoric. He wasn’t banned for his opinion but the way he expressed it (on and offline).
His annual Round Robin suggestion was never aired for discussion with the majority before he was silenced by the minority and banned!
scimjim wrote:
Why do you think the join up rate is ridiculous? How do you propose checking that each one has a level of interest in Simitars that meets your approval?
25% in less than 6 months doesn't seem credible!

I welcome the comments not to close this discussion down but feel likewise that maybe Ronnie had some valid points that didn't need shutting down - equally (as with this discussion) he didn't need to be shut out, silenced or banned. He has lots to offer and a wealth of knowledge.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 pm

I can't even remember what this thread is supposed to be about ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Post by upstart8s » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:46 pm

DARK STAR wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 pm
I can't even remember what this thread is supposed to be about ...
something to do with fun, isn't it?
Stu

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Well fun aside, I've given some thought to this and I want to register a SERIOUS view [puts on serious voice, types in low serious tone of gravitas]...

I can see Ronnie's view, and I've commented before on, in my view, the regrettable loss of his experience to the Forum, and I thought this whole issue had been put to bed. Obviously it hasn't. So, what are the points of view and suggestions:

1. Who cares, it's only a car club Forum?
2. The statistics are unreliable and misleading.
3. Who cares about the statistics, they don't mean anything.
4. The Forum should reflect CURRENT interests and activities, hence only 'active' contributors allowed.
5. How does one decide what 'active' means?
6. Deleting contributions from deceased members is disrespectful.
7. Not culling the contributors clutters things up.
8. Stuff now-deceased contributors posted years ago can't possibly still be relevant.

There might be more, but that'll do for starters.

Standing back and looking at this, I am minded to observe, no-one except perhaps Ronnie (paradoxically!) has ever (afaik) really asked the fundamental question "What exactly is the Forum FOR?"

Now you could get as many views on this as there are contributors, I'm sure, but the point I want to make is, if you address this question and answer it explicitly and unambiguously, I think all of the rest of the debate is resolved.

Typically when folks set up these fora, they have a vague nebulous idea that it should be somewhere for general debate, exchange of views and a place where geographically remote people can interact and communicate. But that tells you what one can DO on a forum - it doesn't say what the forum is FOR.

I can only express my own view, and I form that view by asking myself - what is it I expect to see when I join a forum? And the broad answer to that is: I expect to find an answer to my question. So, what IS my question? When I log on to a forum, what IS my question?

And the answer to THAT is: I want the forum to tell me anything and every thing I could possibly want to know in relation to my car. That means 'what oil do I use?', 'what's for sale?', 'when's the next event on?', 'where can I get the spare part I need?', 'who knows about Webster brakes?' [this is a real and current request!].... the list is endless.

It follows from this that the function of the Forum - for me - is: to be a repository of ALL knowledge pertaining to my car and my broader interests in the marque.

One single 'one stop shop' where I can ask any question I can possibly conceive and be able to find some sort of response.

Now that response might be a reply from others reading my post, it might be in a sticky, it might be a suggestion that I should call Mike at Wonder Cars... I *might* want to know 'who has EVER had an interest in our cars to the extent that they were motivated to contribute to the forum, even if they're now dead?'

I am sure you can see where this is going. As a repository of our combined knowledge, views, experience and technical information, the Forum must for ever grow, and no part of it should EVER be deleted.

If this causes problems such as things getting bogged down, the answer is not to cull the forum in some way, but to improve it - use a faster server, get a better search engine, etc - NOT to throw away knowledge that almost certainly isn't recorded in an easily retrievable form anywhere else, and certainly not in a single place.

OK, true story to make my point: I have no interest in Vauxhalls or Chevvy racing, much less so in South Africa. But my researches into Middlebridge history took me to a South African rally car racing web site that in turn led to me speaking on the phone a few months ago to a person with direct personal contact with those involved. Where did I get this crucial information ? From a forum.

When I bought my Webster, I researched the seller, and found he'd been making enquiries about the car himself. Where? On a forum.

I don't think the numbers and statistics matter. I don't think the jokes pages and the computer issues matter. They're fun, of course - does anyone recall our debate about Scottish cheese being made in England? Appropriate number plates don't really matter. There are lots of aspects of the forum that are fun and interesting but at the end of the day don't really matter. I think what matters - and indeed the ONLY thing that matters - is the knowledge.

So I make my plea, do not throw away this wonderful repositry of accumulated knowledge - because once it is gone, you will NEVER get it back.

What the Forum is FOR is to hold ALL of the accumulated information about our cars, our members and our activities with our cars. (imho)

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 pm

I think I agree with you, Chris.. :wink:

The exact number of either active, dormant or fake account matters not one iota to the content of the forum. That is also the way it will continue. The Admin team try and weed all the spambot (fake) accounts where possible, with the Mod Team supporting. The only content that does get deleted is expired Marketplace posts (when we remember :oops: ) as there’s nothing more annoying than you finding something offered and then after you’ve replied realise it’s from 3 years ago and sold 3 years ago..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:05 am

Good post Chris, even if it is a long winded way of saying, hoard knowledge on the forum just as we hoard spares in our sheds. You never know who might need what when.

I would even go so far as to leave marketplace adverts indefinitely available unless explicitly asked to be removed by a relevant party. On numerous occasions I have searched for and returned information from old threads relating to sold vehicles. I suppose locking inactive marketplace posts would serve the purpose of preventing them being dragged up with new postings.

One thing I would just say is, having served as a moderator on other forums previously, it's a time consuming and often thankless task. It's rarely possible to please everyone when it comes to decision making and I do feel Scimweb and it's moderators strike a very good balance between regimental authoritarianism and personal free for all.

Let the membership thing rest in my view. If Ronnie wanted to rejoin the forum respecting it's members and the rules that would be welcomed by me.

If I were to pick at something about the forum, it would be the excessive number of stickied posts cluttering most sections. However I appreciate that this is useful information and moving it into a better organised database (such as the often over looked Scim wiki) would itself be a mammoth task. Whole different subject though and probably best taken on in another thread if worth consideration.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:13 am

Let the membership thing rest in my view. If Ronnie wanted to rejoin the forum respecting it's members and the rules that would be welcomed by me.
..and this is why ronnie has a ban and has not had his account and posts deleted. The door is open for anyone who is happy to play by the rules.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:40 am

reliant-reviver wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:05 am
Good post Chris, even if it is a long winded way
Sorry, I always did like the sound of my own keyboard ! :oops: :lol:

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Nick_B_GTE

Post by Nick_B_GTE » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Yeah apologies it should indeed read

Nov 9th 3708 members
Nov 11th 3711
May 26th 3859
June 10th 3873 members....

... and today the same trend continuing....
October 6th 3962 members

That's nearly a new member every day. Which was the point of the post (even though the "1's should have been "7"s.).. It doesn't seem that anyone leaves the forum.... apart from Ronnie, of course, who posted a JOKE (in the appropriate section of the forum) and he hasn't really left as all his posts are still here despite his request to have them removed. Can't this all be resolved very easily? I don't know why it's so hard to remove his posts. I've seen that done on other forums and Facebook. It might affect the thread a little but it's obvious to anyone reading that someone (and their posts) have just left the forum.... It's no big deal to do.

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:14 pm

I don't see why we should remove his posts. He made them. Why should we try to erase history? Facts are facts.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Oi! Can some tecky admin sort this thread out please? I looked expecting a "fun caption quiz".

Create a new thread "fool the fun-seekers" or some such?

Meantime I've been 'avin' some fun, drivin' the RRBT!😜

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:14 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am
I was born in Mdina, also known as the Silent City, so I suppose I should shut up. :|

But "IF" the club did have plans for an apartment in Malta "AND" I keep annoying folk, can I go find one, and test drive it?? :?:
Just arrived on Gozo to test drive possible locations for Team HQ (Malta Division) Mark :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (219.89 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I give in!! :shock:
I need a clue, in the photo where's the scimmy badge for us to spot? 8)
Only joking!! :) :) :)
"I love the Smilies!"

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:56 pm

scimjim wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:14 pm
gtcse8 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am

Just arrived on Gozo to test drive possible locations for Team HQ (Malta Division) Mark :D

image.jpg

What's the temperature like

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”