Why don't people fix anything any more ?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

toomanysabres
RIP

Re: Why don't people fix anything any more ?

Post by toomanysabres » Sun May 29, 2016 10:28 am

Corky wrote:
"You mustn't be so careless. After all Aardvarks never killed anybody.", as Spike Milligan used to say...... Not sure how true that is :lol:

I can't help myself. I have a compulsion to try and fix things.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:46 am

Corky
Regarding charging, you will neex to charge iniitally for 3 x times the normal charge time, and they will get better with use, will need approx 4-6 charge/discharge cycles to be up to normal operating run time.

If NiCd, they will self discharge at approx 2% per day so dont be amazed if you dont use it for a fortnight to see a much shorter charge yield.
If NiMh, they are approx 8%+ per day so after a fortnight without use they will be flat.

Check the chargers charge rate (printed on it). As they are now 2200mah you will add approx 50% to the charge time over 1300mah cells. Normal practice is to add 10% to ensure full charge. Its possible, although not highly likely, that the charger has a voltage delta charge cut off which if left permanantly on charge will keep them charged, and whilst convenient it doesnt do NiCds a whole lot of good, so take them off charge when you think about it. Best condition for NiCds is usage, run till near flat (as soon as drill starts to struggle and no more) and fully recharge.
HTH
CNH

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun May 29, 2016 12:00 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:Best condition for NiCds is usage, run till near flat (as soon as drill starts to struggle and no more) and fully recharge.
HTH
CNH
Yes, agreed, that's been the killer for my NiCd drills etc, I think. In normal domestic DIY use, they just don't tend to get regularly cycled through that process often enough to keep them in peak condition.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 am

Sorry Mikey, I missed your post. I found them on eBay. The seller was in Hong Kong I think.

The drills are still both working perfectly. It makes me smile every time I use one of them :lol:

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 am

Cheers Craig. I'll check the chargers and charge times.

I don't tend to leave nicads on permanent charge anyway. I've got quite a bit of experience from using them in walkie talkie radios at work. Memory effect is the most annoying. You pick one up that's allegedly charged and half an hour later whilst you're out and about its beeping at you to warn of a flat battery. We did have a conditioner which could bring them up from around 5% retention capacity to around 80%. But in the end we swapped them for radios that used lithium, much more reliable.

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Kittyhawk
RSSOC Member
Location: Coleford, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, Gl16 8JW

Post by Kittyhawk » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Had a BMW 1200GT that had the dreaded'brake failure' light come on. Dealer wanted £1400 for a new ABS control unit. Read an article on line from USA which gave instructions on how to fix this non-servicable component - two small holes drilled in casing, open up the carben brush holders so they can mahe contact, reassemble and 2 hours later just saved £1400. Don't accept that components are 'non-servicable , if some built them, someone else can take them apart and repair!

Cheers
Nick

1977 Se6a Banana Car 3
1999 MX5 Mk 1 1.6 petrol
2013 Kia ceed sw 1.6 diesel
1996 subaru justy 1.3 4x4
2010 BMW 1300 GT
1998 BMW 75 RT

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:12 pm

I just thought this was worthy of this thread........ :hand:

Sooooooo, last year we had a new kitchen fitted. We had a full height built in freezer as part of the spec’. Fast forward 11 months and the circulation fan is incredibly noisy.

Should be an easy fix I thought, but hang on, it’s still under warranty.

Called Whirlpool who dispatched an engineer. Diagnosis, faulty circulation fan. Fan ordered, to be fitted next visit.

Next visit, the engineer couldn’t work out how to fit it. Much time and many phone calls later the method is found...........

...............it can’t be done, replace the whole freezer.

I’m lost for words. You can buy the fan, but there’s no way of fitting it as all the gas filled gubbins are in the way and they can’t be removed without chopping the whole thing up. :roll:

So a £20 part, turns into a £1k replacement job.

As the replacement is like for like, I’m also buying an extended warranty :w

These companies should be held to account for poor designs that lead to unnecessary land fill.

Steve

cannonball
RSSOC Member

Post by cannonball » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:59 pm

You should have bought a Zanussi. We had a similar problem with ours at around a year, it was getting really really noisy so we turned it off and called the engineer. Turned it back on the next morning and the noise was gone but luckily the engineer knew the script. There was a massive buildup of ice around the fan which had partially melted hence the disappearing noise and believe it or not there was an electronic fix as he had to plug it in and upgrade the fan running time.

Cost us nothing as it was still under warranty. :D

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm

I’ve paraphrased a little, as we did go through the whole ice against the fan blades thing. Full defrost etc etc. But the noise was still there. Apparently the fan bearings (probably just some cheap nylon) had failed and it was flailing around catching on its own housing. The engineer could see the fan, he just couldn’t get to it :roll:

The thing that winds me up is that this replaced a perfectly good Bosch fridge/freezer that had been ultra reliable since we bought it in 1999. In fact I believe it’s probably still chugging away in the house if the person I gave it to.

Steve

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”