DRIVING in EU

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by Oldconn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 am

This was issued yesterday, a whole new :w : https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... =immediate;

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am

Appears that this government is throwing as much crap up about a possible no deal to scare everybody, things will in my opinion just revert to how it was pre EU nonsense and I don't recall massive issues then really.

We're all doomed Capt Mainwearing all doomed

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by peter freeman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:23 am

I was driving in Europe before there was a EU and did not need anything but a UK driving licence so why would it change. As to the Gov of the bank of England he forecast before the referendum that if we voted out bank rates would go up to 4.5% - he has yet to make a forecast that turned out to be correct.

Kwackers

DRIVING in EU

Post by Kwackers » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Apologies for offending those with delicate sensibilities
Last edited by Kwackers on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by scimjim » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 pm

The thread is about driving in the EU in the event of a no-deal - there’s no harm in polite discussion about Brexit (if relevant to a car forum) but this is degenerating quickly.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by erikscimitardemon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Kwackers wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm
For all of the Brexit scaremongers out there don't forget the UK is the fifth largest economy in the world. They need us as much as we need them. Once the Germans have got fed up of the French poodle lapdog yapping they will come to their senses, kick the poodle to shut it up and we can have some proper talks about the future.
Admin >> Interesting choice of words. It is not constructive or polite towards fellow Scimitarians from Germany, France or anywhere else.
Please keep politics out of our forum. << Admin

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Kwackers

DRIVING in EU

Post by Kwackers » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Sincere apologies for any offence caused. I have many friends in both France and Germany but they would not take offence because they would realise my comments were aimed at the aggresive euro politicians not the general populace.

However I do find it strange to be castigated for being political when referring to a post that starts off quoting a www.gov.uk site talking about possible Brexit outcomes, at least be consistent, or do you only allow opinions that match your own ?

Rattling
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by Rattling » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:08 pm

If there is going to be a requirement for an international license as there is for countries outside the EU it would be no big deal ,the last time I drove in Japan I needed one cost a fiver ,very simple to get too ,don't let them grind you down :D

Colin

1800 Ti

philhoward
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by philhoward » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Kwackers wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm
However I do find it strange to be castigated for being political when referring to a post that starts off quoting a www.gov.uk site talking about possible Brexit outcomes, at least be consistent, or do you only allow opinions that match your own ?
Your views, whichever way (although obvious from your post) are welcome but not in the manner in which you chose to express them. Issues relating to a possible change in cross border driving regulations is welcome on here. Political gesturing is not.

I would hope that a similar reply from 3 of the Mod Team helps to reinforce the forum rules an guidelines?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

demonbluedays

DRIVING in EU

Post by demonbluedays » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:34 am

Simple soloution to this gents

Yes you can drive in the EU post brexit

But it may be simpler to just not bother, as likelyhood is someone somewhere will throw in a curveball of red tape making it, at least in the beginning a headache task

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

Rattling
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by Rattling » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 am

Just looked online for details about the international driving license I spoke about in my earlier post and you can now apply online but the cost has increased to £35ish . It also gives a long list of the countries where it's required i.e. excluding the EU the rest of the world ,so it will be cheaper after democracy has taken it's course :D

Colin

1800 Ti

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 am

Kwackers wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm
Sincere apologies for any offence caused. I have many friends in both France and Germany but they would not take offence because they would realise my comments were aimed at the aggresive euro politicians not the general populace.

you twirled a topic on a possible EU driving licences changes into your own political statement having a dig at some and offending others. Every one is entitled to their opinion but this is a Scimitar enthusiast forum so it is not strange at all to be admonished for taking this thread away from the original topic in the tone you did.

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 am

I have realised that voting is largely futile anyway. The government ALWAYS gets in!

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by reliant-reviver » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm just looking forward to the reintroduction of the Austin Maestro and Reliant Robin post brexit.

Strong and stable just like the government.

Fairly sure it won't be too much of a headache to hop the channel and go motoring. There might just be a bit more nonsense to entertain along the way. I shall add it to the empty fuel can, breathaliser and poorly fitted beam benders.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Rattling
RSSOC Member

DRIVING in EU

Post by Rattling » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:37 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm
I'm just looking forward to the reintroduction of the Austin Maestro and Reliant Robin post brexit.

Strong and stable just like the government.

Fairly sure it won't be too much of a headache to hop the channel and go motoring. There might just be a bit more nonsense to entertain along the way. I shall add it to the empty fuel can, breathaliser and poorly fitted beam benders.
Tut tut you forgot the yellow jacket ! :D

Colin

1800 Ti

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”