Am I still fit to drive?

For any general chat and banter.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Am I still fit to drive?

Post by upstart8s » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi, I have just been reading an item on bbc.co.uk about older drivers' fitness to drive.

I first passed my driving test in 1979, at the tender age of 17, after 10 1-hour lessons. Over the last 50 years, I have suffered one accident, where I failed to stop quickly enough and bumped the car in front (burst radiator). That was 8 years ago. I consider myself a competent driver, if a little aggressive. At my age (68) I have physical constraints (I am thinking about disposing of my SS1 because of the manual clutch), and I take several items of medication (both the Doc and pharmacist say I am OK). I had thought of not renewing my licence in a couple of years when my current license expires.

The item leads on to the suggestion that we may take a voluntary assessment (£55 for an hour).

Has anyone on the forum considered this question?

Has anyone had an assessment?

Stu

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Re: Am I still fit to drive?

Post by upstart8s » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Me again, Just to confirm my sanity, it was 1967 when I passed my test!

Stu

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I admire your honesty in describing yourself as
if a little aggressive
:)

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm

"Confident" was what I was told would be a more appropriate driving style ;)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:18 pm

I am 70 and quite happy to drive for as long as possible. Interesting that the form you have to fill in to get your license renewed says you cannot use binocular devices to see - never thought of using a pair of telescopes instead of glasses myself. I have no objection to having a medical for renewal but think another driving test stupid. For a start they don't have the testers to do it and when I was learning to drive we were taught to use the gearbox and not rely on brakes. I was also taught to straight line bends - cuts down on the stress on the mechanicals and saves fuel. Would I now fail the test using the methods I was taught.

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 pm

My dad's still driving his 1400 k series sabre and he is 71 he also tows a caravan with his freelander if you feel ok and no one else is concerned 're your driving carry on for as long as long as your happy to do so.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 pm

I think the concern is over your reaction times and observation rather than your driving technique..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Post by chrisgallacher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:56 pm

upstart8s wrote:Hi, I have just been reading an item on bbc.co.uk about older drivers' fitness to drive.

I first passed my driving test in 1979, at the tender age of 17, after 10 1-hour lessons. Over the last 50 years, I have suffered one accident, where I failed to stop quickly enough and bumped the car in front (burst radiator). That was 8 years ago. I consider myself a competent driver, if a little aggressive. At my age (68) I have physical constraints (I am thinking about disposing of my SS1 because of the manual clutch), and I take several items of medication (both the Doc and pharmacist say I am OK). I had thought of not renewing my licence in a couple of years when my current license expires.

The item leads on to the suggestion that we may take a voluntary assessment (£55 for an hour).

Has anyone on the forum considered this question?

Has anyone had an assessment?

Stu
By my calculations you're 55 :)

Edit: Oops, I should read the whole thread...

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:43 pm

surely the RoSPA advanced driver assesments have been doing the same thing for decades?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Funny thing this popping up. I've just been talking to an 87 year old lady who was an advanced driver in her earlier years and over the last ten or so years she's lost her confidence. I suggested to her that she have a short refresher coarse with a reputable company and they will tell her whether she's capable or not. Bearing in mind learning to drive now is not like it was back in the 60's when you had to be able to do all manouvers not just one or two. I have to re-apply for mine in three years.
Regards Terry H

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Just another thought my father in law is 80 and still driving (although I don't think he should be!!!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 pm

greeny wrote:Just another thought my father in law is 80 and still driving (although I don't think he should be!!!
ditto

especially as he had a detached retina op a few weeks back so basically looking at the world through one eye!

SWAMBO went with him to last 'follow-up' and she was shocked at how far down the eye chart list he didn't get, and she says her eye-sight is iffy, must be cos she married me :wink: (actually so bad that it can be like the Spec Savers advert if we go swimming as leaves galsses in changing room :wink:

In all I guess there will come a time where the post 70 (or 75s) will have to do more than simply tick the box that says 'no new medical conditions' ?

I AM NOT suggesting that older folk are automatically barred, as long as folk know their limits? Mum will NOT drive in Aberdeen, but OK to potter about at home in Orkney as slower roads, less traffic, less frantic pace of life etc . .. . .

Have a look though at the case of the Glasgow bin lorry accident, clearly states on an HGV 'any medical' , allegedley he always ticked the 'no' box :shock:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 pm

upstart8s wrote:Me again, Just to confirm my sanity, it was 1967 when I passed my test!

Stu

I'm glad you declared that. I passed my test in 87... not too much later than 79, so I had to wonder ... if you're contemplating giving up your license, will I have to do the same in ten year's time???

:D :D :D :D

===
Ghost in the machine
===

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 pm

With driving tests it's an odd one, I've been driving 32 years and did my IAM test around 18 years ago, 2 years later I became a driving instructor and had to do the ADI test ( approved driving instruction) both extended tests, and both very different and I found a lot of conflict between the two tests. The conclusion I came to is that the standard driving test is aimed at idiots that have no capacity to actually think and make a decision based on observations, and if you dare stray from what is expected it doesn't go down well. And that ladies and gents, is why our roads are full of incompetent drivers who concentrate more on their in car entertainment and phones..

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 am

I took my test in 1963. I have been pondering this question of age/competence for a few years. Having recently done 2000kms in a week, in the GTE and pulling a trailer, followed by a couple of classic car hillclimb events, I'm quite happy that I am more competent than 50% of other drivers on the road at the moment. I am not being complacent , and I am aware that my reactions are nowhere near as quick as they were a few years ago, but I don't put myself in risky situations. I think situation awareness is a big factor in road safety. My biggest worry is the increasing possibilty that I could collapse at the wheel - but my neighbour who is only 55 has had two "strokes" and is still driving! I think he is more likely than me to cause an accident, and there's the rub! Should his doctor declare him unfit? Or should we introduce compulsary testing following certain medical problems? There would be a lot of resistance to that idea, statistics need to be studied, but it's my guess that health is more important than age. :w :)

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Return to “Non-Technical Discussion”