GTE/GTC Door Mirror Plinths

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Re: GTC Door Mirror Plinths

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 pm

I would be interested in a pair or two but only if they are of a decent quality and fit as the originals though, I have been disappointed with some "reproduction parts " over the years

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Steve, ( Corky )

Your suggestion on the " Fiberglass Molding with rubber from sh!tbay" was the route I took, but I ended up with a few too many "Scrappers" as the rubber we chose held air and set with blowholes in it.

The molders finally decided to use a vacuum chamber to leave the moulds in while they cured, this tied up their manufacturing operations for a few days while MY job got done, they were not happy and chucked my moulds away after I asked for them.

The moulds were only £50 each which is a massive saving on the injection moulds.

I would still be happy to buy 2 or 3 sets if they did the job and fitted.

Rob, out of the feedback you have could you not start a list of people showing a definite interest, then when it gets to 50 sets ask them to stump up a deposit at least ??.

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is the issue of more cars only have a need for the Drivers side, the FIXED passenger side mirror that Reliant fitted only needs the thin plastic molding that scimitarpete refers to, so you would need more of the Drivers side than PAIRS.

And my final word on the matter concerns the PASSENGER side fitting, Reliant fitted a very close to MIRROR imaged plinth on the nearside door, but it was the wrong shape and profile to allow you to see out of the bloody thing when it was fitted, it needed to be on more of an angle to be of any real use.

All my cars have had SLOTS ground where the 6mm studs locate the mirror so I could rotate the whole mounting so as to get the full use of the bloody things.

Mark

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:50 pm

gtcse8 wrote:Steve, ( Corky )

Your suggestion on the " Fiberglass Molding with rubber from sh!tbay" was the route I took, but I ended up with a few too many "Scrappers" as the rubber we chose held air and set with blowholes in it.

The molders finally decided to use a vacuum chamber to leave the moulds in while they cured, this tied up their manufacturing operations for a few days while MY job got done, they were not happy and chucked my moulds away after I asked for them.

The moulds were only £50 each which is a massive saving on the injection moulds.
It could depend on the kit used. Maybe some resins are more prone to air bubbles than others. I suppose it depends on the viscosity of the resin or possibly if any gasses are released during the reaction when the catalyst is added.

I bought some polymorph a couple of weeks ago for the kids to make plastic creations with. Brilliant stuff, and may be suitable for making these plinths. It's main downside though is it's melting point 62''c. Maybe a black plinth in the hot sun could wilt... Food for thought though. I'm sure there may be other uses, wiper spindle rubbers etc...

Anyway, good luck with this project Rob. We've all been in a position of needing that illusive part :(

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: GTE/GTC Door Mirror Plinths

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 pm

mod edit - As suggested I've merged these two threads together (in "Parts Remanufacture"), to keep things organised

wearing my Se6a owner hat, I'd be interested in one set, if they do become available at the quoted price (though I don't currently have a passenger door mirror, but that might change)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

petermisy
RIP

Post by petermisy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:48 am

I would also be interested in two pairs for the GTC's, and also would share in initial costs

Peter

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Post by philipmasonfrance » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:44 am

Rob Jones wrote:So to recap then,

Do we think we can get fifty people all willing to part with £20.00 plus vat to get this done??

I don't mind doing the work as I really want a pair for my car, this is unless someone else has done this, can do this cheaper, or can supply me with a pair of tip top ones which I will gladly pay £50.00 for.

kind regard

Rob
I don't know how they do it, but on the BRM forum they just make a list to which everyone adds their requirements (1, 2, 3 pairs etc. Keeps it tidy.
Phil Mason - 1 pair

Rob Jones

Post by Rob Jones » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Right Guys,
If we can cover the cost of the moulds, I can deal directly with Techmould (see there web site).
So any one interested in a combined venture? this discussion has been raging for a while as far as I can see, so can we all muster together £640.00 plus vat £128 or can the club take over??
What is the point in all of this is we cannot progress a way forward, there must surly be enough requirement out there??
How do we start a list? I have no problem contributing £100.00
Do we think this is achievable??
Kind regards
Rob

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:23 pm

I'd say drop Andy Cooper an email - Merchandise officer and co-opted. RSSOC committee member....

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Smithy Se6
RSSOC Member

Post by Smithy Se6 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:41 pm

I would also be very interested in a pair on plinths. If someone can point me in the direction or where to sign up/pay that would be great.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:29 am

If it's not been mentioned before it might be worthwhile creating a more suitable plinth for the passenger side mirror to make is actually a usable item rather than that provided by Reliant

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 pm

by ScimmyMike » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 am

If it's not been mentioned before it might be worthwhile creating a more suitable plinth for the passenger side mirror to make is actually a usable item rather than that provided by Reliant
nd my final word on the matter concerns the PASSENGER side fitting, Reliant fitted a very close to MIRROR imaged plinth on the nearside door, but it was the wrong shape and profile to allow you to see out of the bloody thing when it was fitted, it needed to be on more of an angle to be of any real use.

All my cars have had SLOTS ground where the 6mm studs locate the mirror so I could rotate the whole mounting so as to get the full use of the bloody things.

Mark

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

GeoffP

Post by GeoffP » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 am

If the proposed door mirror plinths are being made, I'd also be interested in a pair for my GTC - I think the nearside door mirror is in danger of working its way off soon ! Can anyone tell me how I find out more ?

Geoff

mike whiskey

Post by mike whiskey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:51 am

I would be in for a pair please.

MW

phil the fuzz

Post by phil the fuzz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:01 pm

High chaps. Has this progressed any further? If so would be up for a pair for GTC 439

Phil

petermisy
RIP

Post by petermisy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Not sure sure if it has but graham walker had some made, selling at curbs last year. I bought a pair.

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

Return to “Parts Re-Manufacture Requests”