GTE/GTC Door Mirror Plinths

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Re: GTC Door Mirror Plinths

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Rob

Couple of questions?.

Are the quoted prices Inc VAT ?. :?:

After paying for the tooling will the manufacturers Retain or Return the tooling, ie who has ownership etc?. :idea:

Do you have a Perfect pair of plinths for them to copy, and if not, are they prepared to do the final detailing to ensure you get a first class product that works?.
Please be aware there are at least THREE different types of mouldings that Reliant supplied, ( different thicknesses and shapes ) and some were actual RUBBER castings (not injection mouldings), and some were a very pliable PLASTIC. :w

Been there, worn the T shirt, spent the time etc.
And I would like to say well done on at least getting a quote, even if the tooling sounds to be £500 over priced from what I have found in my research and previous manufacture of these plinths, I had them cast as it was far far cheaper to produce, and easier to alter the moulds to get the right profile etc, just a shame that when I undertook this remanufacturing exercise I did not have the funding to get more made when the manufacturers finally get the product right ( I was left with the rejects ).

I will now step back from my negotiations with my present "Potential" manufacturers. :shock:

But I will happily throw my £60 into the pot for Three sets.

Good luck Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

badger
RIP

Post by badger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 pm

I'd have a pair too.

Carl Phillips.

SE 6A V8 Auto, Rover 3500S, Rover Vitesse, Classic Mini, VW Camper and Citroen C5

scimrick
RSSOC Member

Post by scimrick » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Well done Rob, A pair for my GTC would be great as current "rubber" is highly cracked & moulting

Rob Jones

Post by Rob Jones » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:37 am

Hi All,

I have sent the questions to Chris @ Tekmold and shall await his reply.

The set I have are not perfect, but I think shall be good enough (purchased from your good self Mark) unless anyone has a perfect set they can loan me to pass over to be reproduced.

I'm only looking at this so I can have a replacement pair of plinths, not to make any money. Would this not make sense for the club to re-manufacture in stead of providing scimitar jackets and key rings :lol: :lol:

alternatively, 5 of us could club together £200.00 each and start the ball rolling, maybe pass on the stock to Walkers or QRG??

Unless Mark, you can procure them cheaper as you have already carried out the task previously and I can abandon this venture.

Kind regards

Rob

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 am

I'll take three sets if they're around six quid a set plus post.

Derek

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 am

derekoss wrote:I'll take three sets if they're around six quid a set plus post.

Derek
Rob Jones wrote: If we can get fifty orders, they works out at £18.79 per pair which seems a better option what is available currently.
Raw cost might be about £6 a pair, but the tooling cost needs to be paid somehow!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:46 am

Missed that ! Still happy !

Rob Jones

Post by Rob Jones » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi all,

Reply received from Tekmold.
1 VAT needs adding to the figures.

2 When the tool is paid for it is your tool ( or whoever paid ) but we normally store them for our customers, however if you want to hold the tool that is fine.

3 The hardness would be more important than the type of compound but we stock a range of good quality nitrile compounds which would be suitable, the tool would be able to process any rubber compound if someone wishes to specify a compound but this may have an effect on the part price.

Don’t worry about asking questions, its best we all know the details.

So do we take this to the club?? or abandon and all be resolved to crumbling plinths :) :)

Unless we have some souls whom are prepared to combine forces for the greater good :D

Kind regards

Rob

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Rob Jones wrote:2 ...... however if you want to hold the tool that is fine.

3 The hardness would be more important
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Rob Jones

Post by Rob Jones » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Nice one,

I see where this all leads now :D :D

Rob

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Just a thought.........

Could you not just take a fibreglass mould and then cast a new one with one of the many poly resins that are available on fleebay ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Post by philipmasonfrance » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:48 pm

AndyD wrote:50 pairs might be optimistic (but maybe not). But I would be very interested in a pair for my 1986 6B.

Are all mirrors/ plinths the same??

I wonder what we could do about the gaskets...? Sorry to be lazy :) , but does someone know offhand if these are available from the traders?

a
QRG used to stock some GRP plinths, but obviously rubber ones would be far better. I'll take a pair for the GTC, but I would think QRG and Graham Walkers might be interested in a few pairs too.

Rob Jones

Post by Rob Jones » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:23 pm

So to recap then,

Do we think we can get fifty people all willing to part with £20.00 plus vat to get this done??

I don't mind doing the work as I really want a pair for my car, this is unless someone else has done this, can do this cheaper, or can supply me with a pair of tip top ones which I will gladly pay £50.00 for.

kind regard

Rob

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:15 pm

......Wash your mouth out with soap & water, Mr. Simpson....!!

scimitarpete
RSSOC Member

Post by scimitarpete » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I have made plinths out of resin for my GTE and GTC. I made a mould of a good plinth using a fast setting moulding material which I bought from my dentist for about £4. It is used in patients' mouths to produce a mould for false teeth and is called 'tropicalgin' would you believe. It is sold by Zhermack (www.zehrmack.co.) and my packet is mango flavour! I suspect a friendly UK dentist (do they exist?) would oblige. This mould I filled with polyfiller to make a male plinth. After tidying, I used this male mould to make a female mould using Vinamold (hot melt rubber) which I got from vinamold.de and cost about 10 euros. I used this substance because I don't think the dentist stuff would withstand the heat of curing resin. Filling this mould with resin I produced a final plinth ready for painting matt black. It looks good. Are you still with me? Now - I live in Germany and learned of a firm called Motomobil. From them, via the internet and their very comprehensive online catalogue, I bought 3 Ford plinths bearing the number 74GB17K723BD which are slim but perfect. Their article number is 15795180-1 and is listed as applicable to a Grenada 02/75-08/81. They cost 3 euros each plus 20% tax and postage. At that price, they are well worth a go and, of course, apply to a 6A as well as a GTC. Meanwhile, I'm pleased that my suggestion of about 3 years ago to commission rear view external mirror plinths is being considered.

Scimitarpete

Return to “Parts Re-Manufacture Requests”