SS1 Springs

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, Roger Pennington, erikscimitardemon

Poppy
RSSOC Member

Re: SS1 Springs

Post by Poppy » Fri May 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Do you have any rear ones to fit my Mk2 Sabre?
Tony

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Rear springs available as standard commercial items, eg from Rally design and others. Search forum threads re desirable stiffness and diameter.. I lke 10 inch 250 lbs/inch, 2.25 dia. But it also depends on your shocks ( adjustable seats...etc). If you need new rear springs, you most probably need new shocks.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri May 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Tony, due to the variety of dimensions and requirements, it would be a real headache / major investment to keep suitable rear springs in stock.
Do you know what rear shocks you have fitted on the Sabre, I presume aftermarket Spax or such like given that it rides low?

My general advice is that the original Monroe rear setup works very well, so think carefully about specifics of new shocks / springs. In my experince many cars end up fitted with too short, too stiff rear springs on poorly adjusted coilovers. I'll happily admit that I've been there and done it!

Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.

Poppy
RSSOC Member

Post by Poppy » Sat May 24, 2014 5:24 pm

I have changed the front springs to 250lb, shock absorbers, bushes and carried out the strengthening mods to the wishbones. The front now rides about 1 1/2" higher than the back. The rear springs and shock absorbers are as fitted by Reliant. Next winter I intend to carry out the same exercise on the rear suspension and am trying to gather the necessary bits, so any recommendations would be welcome. I have looked at past posts on the forum and ended up thoroughly confused, as every body seems to have different ideas on the subject. The car will only be subject to ordinary fast road use
Tony

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Ride height should be 15 cm at sill back and front unless you want otherwise...
I have had very bad experiences with multiple sets of rear AVO shocks (bushes deteriorating quickly) and would recommend any other make!
Also better to buy a shock with adjustable seat as it doesn't cost much more but gives a degree of adjustment so that ride height is optimal regardless of spring strength.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I believe Reliant fitted softer springs all round for the MK2 / K series, though I could well be wrong on this. Sounds like you are probably due a set of new rear shocks and springs by now then Tony. The car should sit at 6" between ground and jacking points.
I've always been happy enough with Spax, though I've read a few comments against them on here recently. GAZ seem to be flavour of the month and will build whatever you want to order.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 pm

R -R
re the softer springs I suspect you could well be right. When StewB had the Sabre K he removed the front springs as the weight of the DET had squashed them to the bump stops. When he compa ed them to a low mileage cvh set i had they were definitely different and softer. I think he binned the rears as the shocks were shot so didn't get chance to check those.

poppy

I'd suggest that 200-225lb max rear springs with adjustable spring seats for ride height tweaks will be perfect. They will be a similar amount of uprating over std as the excellent 250lb RR fronts and with some adjustable shocks will bring your sabre ride and handling to modern mx5 like standards whilst still being safe in all weather's and road conditions

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 am

Rear Sabre 2 springs (and possibly) shocks are certainly softer - a certain yellow ex-factory Mk2 Ti Sabre had stock SS1 rear units fitted to stop it swapping ends during spirited driving. And that was whilst it was still in the hands of the factory!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Poppy
RSSOC Member

Post by Poppy » Sun May 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Many thanks for the information everybody. The ride height under the front jacking point is 6", the rear is under 5". So 225lb springs and new adjustable seat shocks it is.
Tony

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:34 am

Does anybody happen to have a picture of the springs fitted in situe that they could grace me with please?

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Full fitment guide now added to the Scim Wiki. Think I've covered all bases, minus the cursing and the bit where the old spring clatters the toes poking out of your sandals.

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/scimiwiki/ ... ng_Fitting

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 am

reliant-reviver wrote:Delighted to announce NEW UPRATED SS1/Sabre front springs are back in stock :D

"Road Spec"
250lbs/in rating
11" free length
Approx std. to -10mm ride height dependinging upon application
POWDERCOATED gloss black extremely durable finish.

(as above but entirely void of my dodgy paint labelling this time!)

Slight rise in manufacturing price over last order back in 2012, but will hold the previous sale price to Club members for now-

£90 a pair to RSSOC members
£100 a pair to non members.

Delivery by Scimaritans possible, or £6.95 by courier.

To anyone not wishing to wade through the last 4 pages, these are the twice revised spec, thoroughly tested, highly recommended springs fitted to a whole host of daily / weekend / track and fast road cars out there.
They are slightly stiffer rating at 250lbs/in VS the original 180's and will sharpen up the car's handling without detracting from road manners and driveability. In some cases the ride comfort may well be improved if the old springs have properly had it!
Being stiffer / thicker diameter coil, allows them to be made slightly shorter - aiding in fitment as they will just about squeeze in between the open lower wishbone and chassis rather than requiring prior compression. If all goes well, it's 1/2hr per side to fit.

Treat your SS1 this summer and enjoy the reward?

Sales pitch over :wink:
Just a quick bump to say one last set of the latest spec available. Currently tied up with work and household projects so won't likely be having any more made soon. £100 the pair including delivery, or £90 cash on collection.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:13 pm

I don't suppose there's any new standard ride height springs still available?
I think my nose is drooping!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Think I'm out of last batch bit will double check.

have had a few enquiries recently , so would be happy to arrange another if i can drum up a bit more interest.

frase29
RSSOC Member

Post by frase29 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Was there ever another batch of these done? Looks like I'm in need of a rear set of springs so may as well do the fronts at the same time, they're looking pretty tired too!

'87 SS1 1800ti: Megasquirt, boost up, and more to come (oh and a decent stereo ;) )

Return to “Parts Re-Manufacture Requests”