Coupe Door Quarter Vent Base Seals - Remanufactured

PLEASE ONLY start a NEW topic if you have a specific part that hasn't got a topic already, and that you need and cannot get hold of through Club Traders. Make the topic name clear (Model and Part details). Anyone else also wanting that part should add a message to the topic.

Moderators: erikscimitardemon, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington

Coupe Door Quarter Vent Base Seals - Remanufactured

Postby mermar74 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:21 pm

As a compliment to the newly remanufactured quarter vent seals I have decided to make available my own version of door quarter vent base seals. I am aware remanufactured seals are available from the traders, but I find these are not to my standard and I wish for a better product to fit on my own car.

Producing quality seals will require purpose made tooling for moulding the required shape. As is typical mould tooling is not cheap; these costs can only be recuperated by making these parts in quantities and offering for sale. Fortunately these parts also fit the Se5 and 5A as far as I know; this will help increase the likely hood of volume sales potential hopefully.

Much research has now been devoted to constructing these seals, and with several fresh ideas in mind work on making the tooling has started.

These new moulded seals will incorporate several improvements over what is currently available, and will feature;

Left and right handed seals,
Improved fit and sealing,
Matching indentations moulded into the rubber for frame projections clearance,
Moulded from premium modern rubber,
Long service life and no shrinkage.

I have yet to work out a final cost for the finished seals, but will try for a price at least comparable to what is currently available.

Victor Pace
mermar74

Re: Coupe Door Quarter Vent Base Seals - Remanufactured

Postby Joe. » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Thats good to hear Victor - I'm almost certain The remanufactured base rubbers currently available are mistakenly copied from a NOS Reliant Regal/Rebel base seal.
They are dimensionally identical to original Regal/Rebel ones and fit in that application very well! Unfortunately as you probably know they are a very poor fit on a scimitar being a smaller quadrant section and generally too tight/small.

I'm not knocking QRG's remanufacturing efforts and have bought several sets to fit to Rebels! Unfortunately the set i have fitted to my 5a have never been satisfactory despite a lot of time and effort put into fitting them.
I think I did mention the issues to Nige at the time and he is aware of them - But much like the repro 5a stub axles available from both QRG and GW (which have all been machined undersize on the bearing journals by the manufacturer effectively making them scrap) the traders have so much stock and such little throughput that it will be decades before they're in a position to think about re-ordering and possibly correcting the issues in the next batch. Also a certain amount of "I know they're not quite right but people fit them without complaint" applies I think!

Look forward to hearing more as you progress.

Regards
Joe
Last edited by Joe. on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe.
RSSOC Member

Postby philynnbob » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:45 pm

Yes I concur, I was not very impressed with the replacement ones I bought!
philynnbob
RSSOC Member

Postby peter freeman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Not got my quarter light seals yet but I am interested in anything that is better than what is currently available.
peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Postby toolmanchris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Ive got a set of your quarter light rubbers Victor and as expected they are excellent. Any news on these base seals as I will need a set of them too?

Chris
Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com/scimitar
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
BMW Z4 in Maldives Blue - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan
toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Postby mermar74 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 pm

mermar74 wrote:As a compliment to the newly remanufactured quarter vent seals I have decided to make available my own version of door quarter vent base seals. I am aware remanufactured seals are available from the traders, but I find these are not to my standard and I wish for a better product to fit on my own car.

Producing quality seals will require purpose made tooling for moulding the required shape. As is typical mould tooling is not cheap; these costs can only be recuperated by making these parts in quantities and offering for sale. Fortunately these parts also fit the Se5 and 5A as far as I know; this will help increase the likely hood of volume sales potential hopefully.

Much research has now been devoted to constructing these seals, and with several fresh ideas in mind work on making the tooling has started.

These new moulded seals will incorporate several improvements over what is currently available, and will feature;

Left and right handed seals,
Improved fit and sealing,
Matching indentations moulded into the rubber for frame projections clearance,
Moulded from premium modern rubber,
Long service life and no shrinkage.

I have yet to work out a final cost for the finished seals, but will try for a price at least comparable to what is currently available.

Victor Pace

I am most pleased to report the tooling for moulding for the door quarter vent base seals is now finalised and the first pair of seals have been moulded. A trail fit of these seals on my Coupe doors confirms an excellent fit and I am most pleased with the results. Production proper can now get under way and a batch made ready for sale.

As with any such undertaking, making this tooling has been a complex and expensive job requiring a great deal of planning, thought and intricate machining; this effort along with moulding from modern premium rubber guarantees a high quality end product even better than the original part.

I have yet to work out the final price for each pair; this will be made known soon.

Victor Pace
mermar74

Postby toolmanchris » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Excellent news Victor put me down for a pair if they definitely fit the 5a :-)
Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com/scimitar
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
BMW Z4 in Maldives Blue - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan
toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Return to Parts Re-Manufacture Requests