La vie en Flying Sub

Project Progress for our European Members

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

tanuki
RSSOC Member

La vie en Flying Sub

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Here comes a new thread paralel to La vie en Purple ... No play of words this time - no relation to a famous french song - just trying to keep consistent in the naming of those threads :lol:

As some of you have already noticed yesterday, I have had a busy weeked dedicated to the so-called Flying Banana that was living further south in France - near Limoges - and belonged to Peter and Claire Wernham.

I caught an early train on Saturday in order to be in Limoges station at 11:00am so that we would have plenty of time to get to Peter's place, get to know better and of course talk about the car and test drive 8)
Peter & Claire came to pick me up at the station, and Peter seemed to be worried ... he told me over a cup of coffee at the station that he had discovered a huge water leak under the Banana in the morning ... oops :oops: It looked like I would have a chance to look at the car but probably would need to get a return ticket in the afternoon, since of course all workshops are closed on Saturday and Sunday in France :evil:

It turned out that the source of the leak was just a 'cut' pipe, and fortunately the pipe was long enough to get shortened .. phew.
It took us a good amount of time - dont even ask :roll: - since the only tools at hand were: screwdriver, kitchen knife and a bit of grease - Peter is moving back to UK ad most of his tools had already been shipped - Anyway, the temporary fix seemed to hold after a test drive ... so I decided that I would challenge the ride back home !

The Banana behaved nicely all the way up to Avon (~ 250 miles) albeit a lot of rain and wind gusts ... I was impressed how easy the driving was, although I had one eye on the road and one eye on the temp gauje ! Anyway, we arrived safely at the office, where the Flying Banana was introduced to Purple ... and left at the underground carpark for a well deserved rest !

Sunday was a beautiful sunny day, and the Flying Banana took part in our first noggin of the year in Nemours - check the usual thread for more details - where she was well received :mrgreen:

Here are a few pics from the weekend, more will come in the near future of course !

I guess that I can close the other thread that I created before X-mas since at last I have got myself a daily driver that remains in the Scimitar family !! :P

Cheers,
Fred

Last edited by tanuki on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Re: La vie en Flying Banana

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm

yesterday morning in Nemours :wink:

Last edited by tanuki on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:21 pm

That tyre needs some air! Is the front scoop for moving snow? :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 pm

scimjim wrote:That tyre needs some air! Is the front scoop for moving snow? :-)
Oh yes I know ... all tyres need air - I noticed in the dailight when I took her to the meeting :roll: -
Will take care of this tomorrow ... btw what is the recommended pressure for a SE6 ... 1.6/1,7 ?

I believe the scoop is for air flow (?) I need to look at more SE6 photos, I never noticed it really before (!)
It probably would not fit on the SE5 ... too bad, it's almost the right color already :lol:

Cheers,
Fred

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Blimey! I think I recognise that car......
If I'm not mistaken, it used to belong to an ex-Solent Noggin member....... There can't be too many 6a's in that lary yellow and with shiny stainless steel mud flaps!
I remember the PO doing a lot of experimentation with that spoiler with a digi thermometer in various places around the engine bay, the readout on the dash and I guess a thermocouple or similar in the engine bay
I may have some photos hidden in the loft somewhere if you're interested complete with its U.K. number plate!
Cheers
Kev O

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

Elizabeth's dad
RSSOC Member

Post by Elizabeth's dad » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 pm

I reckoned air flow to be an issue on the SE6. My theory being that at speed the air goes under the car rather than through the intake, I consequently wondered whether this was the reason why the front bumper was given more of a lip/spoiler on the 6b. On my old SE6, I made a box shaped scoop which dropped the temperature at 70mph by about 5 degrees on the gauge.

Very smart by the way.

Jim

Membership No. 1779
SE5/5a Registrar

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:16 pm

MrGoldtop1960 wrote:Blimey! I think I recognise that car......
If I'm not mistaken, it used to belong to an ex-Solent Noggin member....... There can't be too many 6a's in that lary yellow and with shiny stainless steel mud flaps!
I remember the PO doing a lot of experimentation with that spoiler with a digi thermometer in various places around the engine bay, the readout on the dash and I guess a thermocouple or similar in the engine bay
I may have some photos hidden in the loft somewhere if you're interested complete with its U.K. number plate!
Cheers
Kev O
Hello Kev,
The car came with a huge load of files, so hopefully I should be able to rebuild some of it's history ... or at least find the names
of some of the previous owners :wink: We may cross our records if you think it's the same car. BTW the english reg was HWK 864 V
- I have the plates in the boot with spare parts - Here are a couple more pics of the car including the engine bay !
Cheers,
Fred

Last edited by tanuki on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Elizabeth's dad wrote:I reckoned air flow to be an issue on the SE6. My theory being that at speed the air goes under the car rather than through the intake, I consequently wondered whether this was the reason why the front bumper was given more of a lip/spoiler on the 6b. On my old SE6, I made a box shaped scoop which dropped the temperature at 70mph by about 5 degrees on the gauge.

Very smart by the way.
Hi Jim :wink:

Here are some other photos that Peter sent to me the other day, that's all I have for the time being - until I make my own portfolio -
but it gives already a better view of the scoop 8) Peter told me about these heating issues under the bonnet ... he thought about
changing the hinges of the bonnet to lift it a little bit (?) in order to let the air flow towards the windscreen (...)

Cheers,
Fred

Last edited by tanuki on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Yep, that's the one Fred....... It's Noggin nickname was "Hawk" funnily enough :D :D
I'll get in the loft over the next few days and see what I can find. PM me your email address so I can send them over to you?
BTW, the body used to be brown (Buckskin?) ...... Not sure if there are any tell tale signs that give away its original colour :D

Cheers
Kev

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:52 pm

MrGoldtop1960 wrote:Yep, that's the one Fred....... It's Noggin nickname was "Hawk" funnily enough :D :D
I am not surprised ... that's the first name that came to my mind when I saw the english plate :wink:
Since Peter referred to it as Flying Banana I started using this name, but I am sure there must be other Flying Bananas among Scimitars,
hope it won't be confusing :? ? I can still give it another name ... Tweety or just The Canari maybe ?
MrGoldtop1960 wrote:I'll get in the loft over the next few days and see what I can find. PM me your email address so I can send them over to you?
BTW, the body used to be brown (Buckskin?) ...... Not sure if there are any tell tale signs that give away its original colour :D
Will send you a PM with my email, no problem ! Thanks for any information you could provide :D
It might have been brown indeed ... the colors of the dashboard, panels and seats suggest it as you can see below :wink:

Cheers, Fred

Last edited by tanuki on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:55 pm

That's a very nice car Fred. Well done on your purchase. It's got the later material on the seats too, which is much nicer that the earlier nylon stuff.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti sprint car, project. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 2xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:55 am

That looks a very smart car, Fred, well done! :D As it's a 6-series, if you really need to know the original colour, there will be a code in the chassis number. However, personally, I think it looks great in yellow! :mrgreen:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 am

tanuki wrote: Since Peter referred to it as Flying Banana I started using this name, but I am sure there must be other Flying Bananas among Scimitars,
Attachments
YHKsmall.JPG
YHKsmall.JPG (63.4 KiB) Viewed 1478 times

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:57 am

Nice one Fred! The GTE always looks good in yellow in my opinion. Looks like I'll have to make another trip to the English Rencart sometime soon to get acquainted! ;)
tanuki wrote:No play of words this time - no relation to a famous french song
Maybe not famous, but at least appropriate : "La banane" by Philippe Katerine! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoteLHr05s

James

1968 Scimitar Coupé, 1971 MG BGT, 1950 Royal Enfield G

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:32 am

I'm jealous! :( :wink:

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Return to “Projects”