Ma vie avec "la bête verte"...

Project Progress for our European Members

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Re: Ma vie avec "la bête verte"...

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:30 pm

The back is too high, front looks reasonable but could go up a bit.
There isn't really a 'correct' ride height but the back should be lower than the front, especially on GTE's to avoid roll oversteer.
Handbrake shouldn't be too difficult to sort.
Looks like yours will be sorted before mine, Fred's and especially Viv's, which is awaiting head gaskets ... at Phil's place.

EDIT it's a pointy car so head gasket singular, mine may need two.

Photos show initial setting and correct setting of suspension on Dark Star ...
Attachments
1993 curborough start scimitar coupé seven clan.jpg
WRONG
1993 curborough start scimitar coupé seven clan.jpg (347.56 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
1995 curborough paddock scimitars.jpg
RIGHT
1995 curborough paddock scimitars.jpg (370.34 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Re the front suspension, it's normally reckoned that, assuming you have standard 14" wheels and standard 185/80x14 tyres, then the standard ride height, measured from the ground to the centre of the front wheel arch lip, would be *approximately* 27 inches. I can see from the photo that you've got standard wheels, but the tyres might be 195/70, in which case it will sit a bit lower. As a rough cross-check, the bottom wishbones should be level and parallel with the ground, at standard ride height.

Note, all that refers to "standard" ride height, not "optimum", and you may want to reduce it a bit. If the car is level front to back (or perhaps slightly lower at the back), it's probably about right, and your rear does look a bit high (as Chris says).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Thank you gentlemen for your input. I took the time today to measure the situation, with... interesting results :?

So this is what it looks like:
(picture taken at the visit of the "42e bourse à Auterive" - a market for car parts and cars)

Front at 63cm (~25 inches), rear at 68-69cm (~27 inches).
Interesting: the rear seems to be sensible to the drivers wheight (~110kg), because when I drove the car into the garage left side was ~2cm higher. I then took place in the left seat, and we came almost equal. Normal?

More interesting, or better: irritating, is the position of the front wheels. It was at the market that I realized for the first time that the right wheel sits way deeper inside the wheelhousing, about 2cm more then the left one! See for yourself:
Image vs Image

When I check my older photoes, I am under the impression that this "offset" is not new - it is just more obvious now with the tyre so close to the wheelhousing. Normal?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:29 pm

The body isn't exactly central on the chassis - consider it normal.

Ok - I've only spotted it on the rear before now though.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:33 pm

The rear wheelarches are a different width on all 5/5a I think - never seen a difference on the front though.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:31 am

Both mine are like that on the front - effectively, the nearside (left hand) wheels stick out further. It looks as though the bodies aren't quite square on the chassis (maybe they were done by eye at the factory?) :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:40 am

I had an Asquith van in a few years ago with the same issue. As it was "vintage" style wheels, it was even more obvious. Nothing I could do about it as it was all mounted on the chassis as it should be.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Once again, thank you very much for your help :clap:
tomorrow we will see with the garage how to improve the situation - at least where possible and considered necessary :wink:

And now for something completely different...

Today is the very first anniversary of me buying "la bête" :D
And it is also (well, almost...) the 40th anniversary of the car's first registration - October 1st 1975 as "LLJ 93 P" that was.
As far as I can recall the car's history, it was sold for the first time in 1978, then in 1999 (after not been run for sixteen years), and then in 2014.

I may quote myself: "What better way to celebrate than to participate in a meeting?"
So of to the by now well known "Rassemblement des véhicules de collection antérieurs à 1985" at the Grand Rond in Toulouse -
just like the day after I bought "la bête" last year :wink:

Kind of a tradition to park next to a huge American, this time a Thunderbird. And on the other side (like last month) the TVR:

Inspired by Fred "Brownie" Hermand's decoration at the English Rencart Nemours, I decided that a "shooting break" needs a bit of a shooting in the break...
(sorry for the lousy picture, I did not realize how much the glas reflected...)

So what else was there, worth to be presented? Oh, right - it was Dino day today in Toulouse! Let's start with the Fiat:

Then a Ferrari GT4:

And the "original" Dino GT:
None in red...

French collection: as usual a bunch of DS...

...plus something more special: the Renault Fregate...

...and the Simca Marly (2.4 litre sidevalve V8!):

More "usual", but nicely presented Peugeot 403:

Some car's deserve more than one picture - the Guila SS is one of them:

Two of those in Toulouse, yet still only one Scimitar...

Anotherone that deserves two pictures:

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Very nice: the Honda S800...

...and the Austin 1300 GT (with almost colour-matching motorbike):

As usual, at the end of the meeting my neighboors had changed - and there was even someone who had a picture taken of himself beside la bête:

What a nice way to celebrate my first scimi-sational year (and who want's to think about broken gear levers...) :hurrah:

Cheers!
Last edited by landschrabbler on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Nice post Jörg
Happy birthday to everyone :)

Super selection of cars this month, not often you see several different Dinos and the 246 is fantastic in silver.
Even one of the DS's is special, I'm not sure how many cut-down rally cars there were but it's not many.
And a Simca V8 break, incredible, I have always loved the Ariane / Chambord / you name it but never seen a break, it's very tempting.
The Alfas and the BMW are very beautiful - and then there is an Austin 1300 GT .
That's GT as in Grand Tourer, right?
........ .. .

Chris Johnson

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

DARK STAR wrote:Nice post Jörg
Happy birthday to everyone :)
Are you psychic Chris :shock: ? today's my birthday :lol: :lol:

Nice post and pics Jörg :clap:
Good to see such a variety of makes & models, and it's even better to know that La Bête Verte is back on the road !!
Ready for next week-end at Nogaro then :wink: ? I am looking forward to more pics :mrgreen:

Cheers, Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Well, happy birthday then, Fred :clap: :drum: :hurrah: :pint :clap:

And yepp, the beast is back in business, the suspension has been adjusted, the hotel is booked... so yes, apart from a little cleaning we are ready for the trip to Nogaro.

Cheers!

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Just a little sign of life...

EDIT: let's not forget the trip to Nogaro...
http://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopi ... 04&t=30425

The beast is doing fine, we did some smaller trips in the region, so that now we have sufficient kilometers for the suspension re-check. It was also the first time I checked the fuel consumption, 11 litres on 100 km is not bad... but the rear axle starts to annoy me. Not to speak about the reaction of a friend of mine - "are you sure it won't fall apart?"

I will see what the garage charges for a re-build and then compare with the prices from QRG. Are there any other options?

In the meantime we enjoyed the November edition of the Toulose meeting (sorry no photoes this time) - it is funny to see how people present their cars. This time there was an MG B GT with a portable turntable in the back playing Beatles records :D

And music brings us to this: this week autumn came back, including fog... so we had a good English atmosphere the other night when we drove to Toulouse to see the Stranglers in concert :drum:

Cheers!
Last edited by landschrabbler on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Excellent photo Jörg.
I remember fogs in the UK - I once spent 4 1/2 hours driving from Newcastle to Scarborough.
I don't think they happen much now though.
On the other hand Belgium must be champion for fog, I've been through Belgium a number of times but I've never seen it :wink:
This may not be important.

Chris Johnson

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello everyone,

winter is over, let's bring some life into this corner of the forum :D

For my personal "documentation", let's not forget the first "Occitan noggin" with Francis Martin's wonderfull LHD-converted SE6 back in December:
The occasion was (as usual, one might say...) the "Rassemblement des véhicules de collection antérieurs à 1985" at the Grand Rond in Toulouse....

Fast forward to last Sunday - same place (literally!), same occasion:

Brothers by Ford V6 heart:

Brothers by ar..., äh, rear end :wink: :

Will be back in Le Mans this year:

Not a Morgan...

...a Darmont:

Rusty the Citroen:

Oh my Fairlady:

Gilbern GT:

Only two wheels, but looked brandnew:

And another V6 brother:

Cheers!

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:48 am

So in order to prepare for the trips and events planned for this summer, I decided to investigate the rear axle noise mentioned before. More details can be found here:
http://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopi ... =2&t=32437

As a result the car went to the garage, simply to check the situation. But situation got worse from day to day. The mechanic encountered not only major problem trying to loosen the screws of the diff plate, but also the diff plate refuses (or hopefully: refused...) to come off. Last SMS said "sorry, have to take off the complete rear axle".

I will have to wait until Monday until I can look at the disaster myself...

Return to “Projects”