Ma vie avec "la bête verte"...

Project Progress for our European Members

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Re: Ma vie avec "la bête verte"...

Post by tanuki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello Jörg,

I am of little help on the technical discussions ... just hope that the issue gets sorted soon (er or later)
and that we'll have the chance to meet La Bete Verte in the flesh later this year :wink:

I have just discovered this picture of La Bete Verte through Pinterest today 8)
The date was 5th of October 2014 ... so it must have been its very first meeting at the Jardin du Grand Rond ? :shock:

Cheers, Fred

https://www.flickr.com/photos/breizhell/15260885820/
Attachments
15260885820_1c9bd999ed_k.jpg
15260885820_1c9bd999ed_k.jpg (173.85 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Jörg, if Andy AJL is coming to France in the near future, you should take up his offer. I understand his French base is much nearer to Toulouse than I am. The tightening -up that your mechanic describes bothers me; I had no problems of that nature with mine. I am wondering if he has done something silly, like mounting the hub-bearings inside-out! Has he seen a diagram of the assembly? You could download a picture from the GW website, and print it off to show him.
P.S: My eyes are getting tired, I just thanked Fred when I was trying to send this to you! :lol:

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Oh my...

So the garage called, said "you can come, all is good now - have a drive".

Went there, had a chat with the mechanic, he showed me a bunch of shims he did not have to use (but hey, they finally ordered parts on their own) and explained that now there is no more contact between spacer and axle shafts with bearing bolts torqued up - all feels free.

Took the car out for a ride - and the diff started singing straight away. Only difference to the situation before: now it sings all the time, even in acceleration and cruise... really LOUD @100km/h :shock:

Returned it, told them this is not acceptable - asked them how (if at all!) they want to continue. They invited me for Friday afternoon to take a look at the (opened) axle. Don't know what they expect ME to find, sounds like they expect Ray Charles explaining Stevie Wonder how to drive a car...

:?: Would it make sense if someone who knows more could join me via WhatsApp video call :?:

Anyway, this will be the last action in this garage. I will take the car home (it already spent too much time away anyway) and see to fix it myself - I can't do worse than that.

Edit:
Thanks Fred for the picture, nice reminder of the better days :?
Funny though that the GTC deal is delayed indefinitly due to a.... noisy rear axle.

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I would love to help, Jôrg, but I am too far away and I don't know what a WhatsApp is. Is the singing noise high-pitched? Does it vary with road speed? Without actually having hands on its just about impossible to diagnose, but I would guess that the pinion is not correctly meshed with the crownwheel. There are several variables to be set correctly when building up these units, and we are talking about fine tolerences where a few thousandths of an inch make all the difference. It doesn't sound as though your chosen garage has the necessary expertise (which you already know!), and in any case I couldn't make a diagnosis from a video . Sorry!
IanL;

-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Jörg, a sorry tale indeed.
I hope this is not the Alpine garage I found near you?
My GTC is promised for the end of the month, we'll see if my garage is more competent.
Mind you, an engine is simpler to adjust than an axle, even if there are a lot more parts ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:25 pm

No Chris, no worries, it's not the Alpine garage :wink:

Was there again Friday evening, car on the lift, partially dismantled...
apparently the mechanic is not willing to accept defeat, as he explained that he had not had issues like that when he worked on other diffs, including Jags. Don't know if enthusiasm alone will get us to a happy end, but since I could not take the car he has another chance...

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:32 pm

does he have any engineers blue?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Fri May 26, 2017 1:13 pm

:!: SHE's BACK :!:
:!: ELLE EST DE RETOUR :!:

You hear right - after a long long long... long time (eight and a half f***ing moths!) "la bête" est de retour - the beast is back home!

I will spare you all the gore details. Just so much: the garage f***ed up big time with the first re-assembly of the axle - but you might have come to that conclusion before... At least they explained to me all the mistakes done and how that was fixed in the second run - they finally accepted defeat and searched for help in another garage.

That is just for the mechanical part. The other problem was the way they scheduled (or not) work and how they communicated. Not sure if that is a cultural thing (no French bashing, I know clocks are ticking different here after 12 years) or just because they where too busy with other things...

Anyhow, after a test ride I accepted the car and took her home.

Good point: they did not even try to charge me the extra work
Nice touch: the bottle of Champagne on the passenger seat
French way: engine oil slightly under minimum...

So was it worth the money and time? Honestly, I don't know yet.

There are still some mechanical noises, but at least the unsual noise that caused this saga is gone. The diff is silent (very faint whine when lifting the throttle slightlys), ánd there is a bit of rumble from the tyres (long standing?) and/or the brakes. Found a 120g piece of balance weight in the entrance, have to check if it comes from the beast or on of its siblings - it is definitely not from the front wheels, no vibrations there.

Now looking forward to the first weekend in June and the monthly meeting in Toulouse - time to bring some life into this thread again!
Have to contact Francis to organize another "rassemblement Scimi 31".

Scimicalement
Jörg

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 pm

:hurrah: That's really good news, Jörg! As time goes by I am hearing more sad stories like yours which just confirm by belief that it's no good entrusting an English thoroughbred to a French garage which has never seen one before. It's a totally different school of thought, no-matter how old the mechs may be! I have now heard of two unrelated cases where they couldn't even understand the firing order!
Anyhow, let's hope you have a happy Summer ahead, and we all meet up sometime - maybe the Southern Sortie? :D

-Kermit Weeks

turboscim
RSSOC Member

Post by turboscim » Fri May 26, 2017 5:05 pm

My encounter with a French garage ended with ' ecoute moi sunbeam if you touch my car one more time I will kill you with this big wrench '
Then recovery home

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Well done Jörg, glad to have la bete back in circulation.
I'm still hoping to see mine by the end of the month :roll:
Pete, I know what you mean but I think it applies to all modern garages not just french ones :mrgreen:

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri May 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Excellent, Jörg! :D Now hopefully, you'll get a chance to really enjoy the car :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

turboscim
RSSOC Member

Post by turboscim » Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 pm

I think the fire made me homicidal !!

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Fri May 26, 2017 7:56 pm

:hurrah: :hurrah:
I am glad that you eventually got La Bête Verte back - albeit all the troubles that you've been going through with this garage :evil: -
I sincerely hope that you could find a trustful mechanic near your place !!
Looking forward to meeting La Bête Verte in Ardeche next September :mrgreen:
Amities, Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61),Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 am

I wish I was a bit younger. I could be fully occupied as a travelling mechanic, just for English cars in France :lol: - come to think of it, that's exactly what i am doing now..... :? and not just for Scimitars :lol:

-Kermit Weeks

Return to “Projects”