Ma vie avec "la bête verte"...

Project Progress for our European Members

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Re: Ma vie avec "la bête verte"...

Post by landschrabbler » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello everyone,

good news first - I enjoyed a very nice meeting with another Scimitar today. I put some photoes in the Occitan noggin thread.

Not so good, though not disastrous... on my way back, about three roundabouts away from home, suddenly a scratching noise started.
As usual it was coming from the back, and it would not stop.

So back home I jacked up the car to check the brakes. Here are two photoes, one from the left, one from the right brake. Can you spot the difference?
So this is the bad one:

And this is the way (I guess) it is supposed to look:

It is not much, but again does not help growing confidence in the work of my garage - as they were the last to touch the brakes.
Or does the little pin holding the clamp break regularly?
Oldconn wrote:I wish I was a bit younger. I could be fully occupied as a travelling mechanic, just for English cars in France :lol: - come to think of it, that's exactly what i am doing now..... :? and not just for Scimitars :lol:
Next time I will fly you in!

Always something going on here :wink:

Cheers
Jörg

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Hm, as you say it doesn't inspire confidence.
I can't quite see how the clip is broken, but I have never had such a problem in 40 years of Scimotoring.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 am

Jorg
Is it my eyes, or are the split pins missing from the castellated nuts??.

I know the hubs are usually very hard to get off, but the pins are there for a reason.

MOT failure here in UK if no form of retention device ( R clip, split pin, old nail, bit of wire etc ) is not through the a castellated nut.

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Dave 6726
RSSOC Member

Post by Dave 6726 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:29 am

If the pin had not been seated properly across the spring clip, it could have dropped out, but then, wouldn't the spring clip still have been somewhere inside the drum? :?
Looks to me as if it was never replaced. :shock:

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 am

Dave the spring retaining clip is still there, its jammed into the adjuster and shoe, 8 O`clock in the top picture.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:49 pm

I'd agree with Mark, I can't see a split pin in either nut, quite apart from the detached retaining pin/clip

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Oldconn

Post by Oldconn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:07 pm

I stand to be corrected(I'll sit down if you like), but I think there is a spring missing. Where is the handbrake pull-off spring?

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm

I think they are behind the brake pads Ian

Chris Johnson

halfpenny

Post by halfpenny » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Both shoe pull off springs are present, but one retaining pin has let go. They do occasionally rust quite badly, so the end could have pinged off. More likely is that the pin was not correctly located in the spring clip, which appears to be complete, when last assembled. The handbrake cable return springs are behind the backplate encircling the cable ends.

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello all,

long time no post - and (one might say: as usual :roll: ...) once again I come back "avec des nouvelles défectuosités"...

I already mentioned it in a mail to Chris: I think green Scimitars in France are cursed :evil:
Luckily the troubleshooting in my case is straight forward and not a mystery as in Chris' case.

So after I fixed the "problem" with the anti-rattle clip, all was good in the world of la bête, until one night suddenly all headlights went dead. What about the rear? Honestly, I forgot to check. Actually, we had just left a restaurant, and I wanted to impress a colleague by showing him some of the little luxury gimmicks this car had already in 1975 - like the centre console flood light, and "hey, we also have adjustable brightness!". For reasons unknown I did not even touch the corresponding knob, but turned the odometer's zero adjuster - and that's when the lights went out :shock:

As the interior lights and the daytime running lights where still on, the first thought was "fuse blown". And then I realized the high beam worked also, so we decided to drive home in this configuration. After the second time I had to turn off the high beam due to oncoming traffic, we realized the lights where back on! At home I found that indeed one lamp didn't work, but the rest had come back to life magically :wink:

So some electric gremlins - no big story. But then the real problem hit me. Since the return of la bête from the garage I had the feeling that the clutch was behaving strange - in the way that it seemed to open up only on the last millimetres when the pedal is pushed to the floor. Not that the gears did not disengage, just in a very limited range. The only gear that was a bit hesitating was reverse, sometimes there was a little scraping.

Last weekend then I, after not having used the car for two weeks, I really had trouble engaging reverse, but finally got it in. So I reversed out of the garage, up to the street. Here I could feel that even disengaging was challenging. Worse, with the pedal to the metal (clutch!) I could not engage first gear. Fiddling and scraping around I finally got there, so I started rolling down the road. Changing into second - not possible without severe scraping. Okay, one time round the block without gear change and back into the garage...

I remember that one time I found some fluid under the car in the garage - not much, not the usual oil (la bête leaks a little bit between engine and gearbox), different colour, almost clear, odourless.. but just once and, again, not very much. I have not had the chance to investigate further by now, but my hope is a simple leak somewhere leaving me with not enough (if at all) fluid in the system. So basically we have two cylinders and the hose as suspects... Hopefully tonight I will know :wink:

Cheers,
Jörg

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Ouf, you certainly have more than your share of problems Jörg.

I have better news of the other green'un, which will, all being well, be delivered chez moi next week.
Then I can sort it (I hope 8) )

Chris Johnson

Return to “Projects”