Touratoto 2017

For Shows and Events across Europe, both upcoming and reports of past events.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Touratoto 2017

Post by tanuki » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 am

This new thread would probably better fit under the Jokes section of the forum,
however since it has become a regular event since 2014 ... let me introduce you
the infamous Touratoto.

Born in the crazy (?) minds of two journalists of La Vie de l'Auto - the number one
french auto magazine - the Touratoto is an alternative rally which follows more or less
the official Classic Tour Auto. The idea in the first place was to offer the possibility
for classic car owners and readers of the magazine to gather for a few days and have fun
on the road - and on the roadside - No fees for entry, one just pays for living expenses
and petrol - and occasionally a few breakdowns - For the first 2014 edition which was
actually sort of a joke, the magazine simply posted a message "rendez-vous at such place,
such day ... come with your old bomb, be disguised
" ... that was about all :?

While the journalists thought that there would be only a handful of their close friends,
about 25 'teams' turned up !! The organizers managed to improvise - even finding
accommodation for ~ 60 people on the spot - and everyone had a great time during the
three days when they were trying to catch up with the official Tour Auto and greet the
official teams on the roadside. It turned out that the people engaged in the Tour Auto
actually enjoyed the presence of those weirdos, they actually thought that it was an
entertainment being organized as part of their own rally 8)

What was a joke in the first place became a regular event, and this year I will join
the madhouse for the first time, teaming up with my friend Xavier in the Purple Team.
It will be the second participation of a Scimitar in a Touratoto, not really a surprise
since I learnt that another 2 or 3 of the regular characters involved are Scimitar owners!
Although Xavier had bought an SS1 in January precisely for the purpose of this rally,
the wishbones of the SS1 are not in a good shape to cope with the expected 2000 miles
that we will cover next week :oops: So Purple has been prepared instead ...

Back to the regulations ... there are very few rules to comply with:
a/ a team can have one, two or more people on board - that is, if you have a Volvo estate -
b/ the car must be cheap - normally under 3000 euros, I had a derogation for Purple - and
classic of course ... the more unusual, the better :lol:
c/ the team MUST be disguised at all time, which often includes the car.
Success is guaranteed when refilling tanks at the petrol stations !
d/ teams must trust the organizer - Jean-Claude - knowing that his motto has always been
" In disorganization we trust " (how true)
e/ food and drinks are shared - picnic at lunchtime - you are welcome to bring and
share your stinky cheese, sausages, cakes and ... wine of course.

I honestly wonder why the hell did I enroll in this crazy tour, but no doubt that you
will have plenty of weird pics to look at in a couple of weeks :wink:

To give you an idea of what it's all about, you may review the 2015 edition on the net:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBumPrGZ7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=710qRLvTAlU
Simply google image 'touratoto 2015' and you'll have plenty of pics

Below are a few drawings reproduced with the authorization of the author Steve Blackstone.
Those are coming from his book entitled 'Les Zig'Autos' which covers the event.

Well, I gotta get ready now ... only one week to go !

Cheers,
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Re: Touratoto 2017

Post by tanuki » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 am

Oops, I forgot to pay a tribute to the first ever Scimitar engaged in the Touratoto 2015 ...
the Holmes & Watson team 8)
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Sat May 06, 2017 8:49 am

Good morning, time to put down a first chapter about last week's event !

The Touratoto 2017 is now finished, and I am pleased that Purple behaved beautifully
all through the 6 days - out of which 3 days of actual rally - The only minor trouble
were the wipers that decided to stall on our way back after two hours under heavy rain :evil:
Thanks to Rain-X we managed to keep driving until our goal though :wink:

We have covered the loop to the south of France in just 1320 miles - including 530 miles
on the rally itself - If you put aside 200 miles of motorways - which helped us avoiding
big cities on the way down - that still left us a fair amount of B roads to enjoy :mrgreen:
The roadbook for the 3 days of rally was stunning, we actually drove 200 miles each day
without crossing more than a couple of traffic lights per day (!) ... B roads all the way,
sometimes C roads - if that exists ? -

Out of the 34 teams engaged, 2 did not show up and 3 of them only joined us on the
Saturday - drivers having other commitments during the week - All cars but one made it,
unfortunately the Mazda died on the second day - broken engine :oops: -
Since the group was highly heterogeneous you can imagine that there was no timing,
the aim was just to have fun together, stopping many times for pictures, having coffee
or shopping at local markets ... or helping those who were in trouble sometimes.
In between stops the pace was quite high though, and most of the time we were way
above speed limits in between villages ... fortunately no one had troubles with police.

I kept records of mileage and fuel consumption everyday, and was glad to cover those
1320 miles with only 204 l of fuel, thus an average 9.7 l/100km - 29 mpg - ... not bad
with 2 people + a lot of stuff on board :D

I will cover the event day by day over the next few days, let's start with the introduction
of the teams :wink:

Cheers
Fred

01 - The Red Horror - Mini - Jean-Claude & Laura (organizers)

02 - Renault Juvaquatre - Franck

03 - Sunbeam TI - Willy & Philippe

04 - Citroen GS - Frederic & Roland

05 - Mercedes 220D ('70) - Richard & Virginie

06 - Ford Taunus estate ('82) - Laurent & Nathalie

07 - Volkswagen Beetle - Jerome & Patrick

08 - Mazda 929 coupe ('79) - Claire & Jean-Marc

09 - Honda Civic ('78) - Philippe & Bernard

10 - Peugeot 309 GTI ('89) - Jean-Luc & Corentine

11 - Peugeot 204 convertible - Laurent & Adrien

12 - Autobianchi Y10 ('87) - Brice & Prescilia

14 - Matra Murena 1600 - Vincent

15 - Volvo estate - Serge & Gaby

16 - Volvo 940 estate - Eric & Patricia

17 - Peugeot 604 - Francois & Laure

18 - BMW 320 - Jean-Marc & Magalie

19 - Renault 19 ('88) - Yacine & Daniel

20 - Simca 1301S estate - Bernard & Carole

21 - Matra Murena ('82) - Lionel & Catherine

22 - Citroen DS ('69) - Claude, Stephane & Bruno

23 - Volvo 740 estate - William, Jules, Isa, Steeve & Nathalie

24 - Austin 1100 Ado 16 - Frederic & Isabelle

25 - Volkswagen Polo ('77) - Francois & Franck

26 - BMW 518 ('83) - Jean & Jean-Philippe

27 - Ford Taunus ('77) - Laurent & Stephanie

28 - Ford Anglia ('59) - Vincent & Ann

29 - Fiat Panda 4x4 - Ludovic & Tanguy

30 - Citroen XM - Frederic & Lucas

31 - Reliant Scimitar SE5 ('71) - Fred & Xavier

32 - Volvo 245 estate ('75) - Stephane & Catherine

33 - Reliant Scimitar SE6a ('76) - Jean-Baptiste

34 - Volvo 240 ('86) - Leo & Pierrant

Last edited by tanuki on Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Sat May 06, 2017 9:07 am

That looks great fun, Fred, and a real eclectic mix of cars. Brilliant stuff

Is we sideways yet...

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Post by Rattling » Sat May 06, 2017 10:06 am

A good number of Viking Longships ( Volvo estate) which is good to see ,being a past owner of a few of them and a wonderful Renault!

Colin

1800 Ti

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sat May 06, 2017 4:20 pm

YESSS a Simca 1501S break, love it!
The Matras are rather nice.
The red Scimitar with vinyl roof looks familiar, was it Roger Bull's car? and did you enroll Jean-Baptiste en Scimitar France?
If that's only a start this should be a good photo-reportage (can you do it in french for the site too :mrgreen: )

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 am

DARK STAR wrote: The red Scimitar with vinyl roof looks familiar, was it Roger Bull's car? and did you enroll Jean-Baptiste en Scimitar France?
If that's only a start this should be a good photo-reportage (can you do it in french for the site too :mrgreen: )
Jean-Baptiste bought the car only recently (after he did last year's Touratoto as a passenger in a Scimitar,
which no doubt is when he got infected :lol: ) but I am not sure who from. We've been so busy on this last day of rally
that I have to admit that we did not talk too much, but I will get in touch with him and see if he can make it to the
Sortie in Ardeche in september ... Will send you his details no worries :wink:

The photo-reportage is resuming now Chris ... I'll translate to french for Scimitar France once I am finished :mrgreen:
Cheers, Fred

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 am

Day 0 / Wednesday 26th / Avon-> La Bourboule / 300 miles

This is a quick & dirty GG map with just the general directions, the real mileage was at the end of the day was 480km

Preparing Purple ... we had a lot of fun putting the bloody stickers :P

A morning drive took us to the Sologne area - a famous hunting place - where the grand parents of one of the participants
greated us for lunch in their hunter's house La Marcassiniere.

4 cars then took the road in the mid-afternoon to reach La Bourboule in the Auvergne volcanic region.
Snow was expected in the mountains, but luckily it was only melting snow and the roads were good.
Reached goal around 7:00pm and discovered some or the other teams that were already enjoying beers at the bar ;)

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Mon May 08, 2017 7:57 am

423 km just to get to the start, Purple is impressive!

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon May 08, 2017 2:12 pm

Day 1 / Thursday 27th / La Bourboule -> Brive la Gaillarde / 180 miles

Being an early morning bird, I walked through the deserted streets of La Bourboule to see whether
it had changed since the last time I visited - 30 years ago - and I could not see much difference ...
same buildings of course, even same shops !
Here is a quick glimpse of this old thermal town:

I found a nice 2CV that looked ready to take part in our rally ... at least the tables on the cafe's terrace were right in the spirit :lol:

Back to the hotel for breakfast and the first debriefing on this Day 1 of Touratoto

Morning section

Just time for everyone to get started, put the rally stickers on and reach for the nearest petrol station:

And off we went heading to the mountain in mild snow

The first stop at a pub to get a hot coffee - or a beer for the copilots -
The old landlord - who must have a dozen customers a day in that remote place - just could not believe it when her pub was swarmed with 60 crazy people :W

Back on the road, a few cars started showing troubles: DS & 604 to start with, shortly followed by the beetle :oops:
Nothing too serious though and after a 15' stop they were back in the pack :hurrah:

We all reached the meeting point for lunch, at a lakeside.
First picnic in the cold, but with the help of hot sausages and wine we soon forgot about the weather !
Some of the teams are very well equipped for picnic as you can see :wink:

Afternoon section

After a good lunch, we followed a scenic drive through the Correze region, stopping
occasionally for shopping at markets - and some refilling petrol - or having a hot drink
at St Augustin's pub ... another occasion of scaring the locals with our disguises !

The weather was still a mix of sunny periods followed by local snowstorms ...
but the road was good and we eventually reached our hotel in a suburb of Brive la Gaillarde.

A couple of beers at the bar, a lot of discussions around the cars ... and a bit of mechanic on the carb of the Anglia, while the DS also had the bonnet up
This is how we filled time until the evening's dinner which was brilliant - food in this part of France is a real serious matter :mrgreen: -

Return to “Shows and Events”