Nogaro Classic Festival - 10/11 October 2015

For Shows and Events across Europe, both upcoming and reports of past events.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Re: Nogaro Classic Festival - 10.+11. Oktober

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Oh no. not another one who has been hiding from me

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 am

Found a few pics of La Bête Verte on Caradisiac :mrgreen:
http://club.caradisiac.com/hachille/cla ... to_5644516
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Oh boy, not the best photoes of me... b.t.w., the other guy in the photo is the SE5 convertible owner.

La bête (and it's proud owner...) can also be found on some photos published on the official website of the festival:
http://classicfestival.fr/fr/photos/photos.php

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Okay, let's start another epic journey report... well, not as epic as the "The Amazing Adventures of Kinky & the Flying Sub", but still... :wink:
This time we follow la bête verte and its brave owner on their trip to the

Part I - the road to Nogaro

Saturday morning we left the house when the sun was slowly rising above the horizon - in other words: too damn early for a weekend :evil:

The first major milestone was passed after two minutes of driving: the roundabout of broken (gear lever) dreams:

Next stop: the gas station. Time for a first picture of la bête on its newly adjusted suspension:
I think the rear should still be lowered a bit...

The route nationale runs almost parallel to the runway 32 of Toulouse Blagnac airport. You feel almost like Maverick (though on four wheels) 8)

I did not take the direct road to Nogaro, because only two days before the event I found that one of the major sponsors is the BMW dealer in Toulouse - and that like last year they had a roadbook style trip prepared called Classic Road. What a nice idea, and a good way to meet other car enthusiasts... I thought. Turns out that too damn early for a weekend was not early enough and I arrived on an empty parking place... :?

But then I found some organizers that where still around :o and so I got a coffee, a croisant and the... roadbook :D Off to Nogaro:

This roadbook trip was brilliant! It followed some small and very small roads, leaving some very nice impressions:

Looking south to the Pyrenees:

Petit dejeuner dans le Cafe de la Ville (or so...):

Stop somewhere...

... a, right, Saramon that was:

All the time we drive along corn fields. This is the Gers region - known for its "foie gras de canards". And you have to feed all those ducks...

In the small town of Bassoues you drive through the historic market hall - I need a photo "bien sure" :D

A last stop in Termes-d'Armagnac (Armagnac by the way is not only the name of the region, but a distinctive kind of brandy produced here - very tasty!)...

...and then we finally arrived at the Circuit Paul Armagnac in Nogaro:

Will be continued...

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 pm

Great, I love the 'road trip' theme.
And yes, the back of the car still looks too high ;)

Chris Johnson

French Coupé

Post by French Coupé » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Circuit Paul Armagnac and circuit Paul Ricard... Between the two of them it brings a whole new dimension to drink driving! :lol:

James

1968 Scimitar Coupé, 1971 MG BGT, 1950 Royal Enfield G

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Re: Nogaro Classic Festival - 10/11 October 2015

Post by landschrabbler » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:17 pm

French Coupé wrote:Circuit Paul Armagnac and circuit Paul Ricard... Between the two of them it brings a whole new dimension to drink driving! :lol:
I must confess that my thoughts went that way too... :D
but for those not aware it should be explained that Armagnac did not invent the drink and Ricard never was a race driver...

anyway, let's continue with

Part II - a most splendid Sunday

Now, this report is not strictly chronological - and we jump to Sunday morning, when la bête had another grand entrance. The crowd (the guests of the "chambre d'hote" I spent the night) was smaller but nonetheless excited about this unusual car. After the breakfast I prepared to leave, and decided to take a picture of my accomodation:

Which inspired me to this:
:D

Back at the "circuit":

Participants where offered a free car wash by one of the sponsors - well, why not - I will most likely never ever see four (!) men cleaning and polishing my car:
:W ...working at the car wash... :W

All this to prepare for the great parade - if you have seen the story from Magny-Cours, you know what that means: all participants are allowed for two rounds on the track, presenting the cars to the crowd on the stands. Let's enter the track:

Here we are already lined up for the parade:

There was even a helicopter in the air to do some pictures:
2015 © CLASSIC FESTIVAL - Photo : Bernard Cannone - Droits de cession et de reproduction réservés

Even better: the beast (and the proud owner...) on a close up:
2015 © CLASSIC FESTIVAL - Photo : Bernard Cannone - Droits de cession et de reproduction réservés

Time for the first round:

And this is what it looks like from the cockpit:

The above mentioned helico in action:

Round two:

Better not drive too slow, there's traffic behind:

Time flies, and the parade is over - time to leave the track...

...and return to the exposition mode:

Will be continued...
Last edited by landschrabbler on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Absolutely brilliant, especially the ad, and the car wash.
You are a worthy Scimitar loony.

Chris Johnson

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Hello Jörg :D

Wow, thanks for this superb report ... :hurrah:
You've clearly enjoyed this week-end and La Bête Verte looks gorgeous wherever she is ... on the road, at the B&B or on the track :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing all those pictures and giving us a lively story, I enjoyed it :P
I like your pics, in particular the onboard shots ... did you use your still camera or an action cam ?
La Bête has a lovely interior, and I am browsing all the pics to admire the details ... I did not notice about the vents on the bonnet before, but now they are very clear :wink: Keep feeding us with more pics !!

I bet Fred Hermand will be jealous when he sees the 'carwash team' polishing La Bête Verte ... because he tried to get a polish when we were at Montlhery and the guys simply rebucked him - too much job apparently - :twisted:

Well, I am sure that there will be plenty of other cars coming up soon ... looking forward to seeing closer shots of the cars on show :lol:

Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Superb adventure and what a great car,thanks for posting those pictures up :hurrah: :hurrah:

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:21 pm

Just found those two on youtube... :D
la bête apears at ~4:50...

...and ~4:11 respectively:

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Excellent! You had much better weather than we had at Magny-Cours , it looks really enjoyable. I was also admiring your bonnet vents, could you tell me how that was done? :D

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Looks like a great trip, the car looks smart (very shiny!), thanks for the photos :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind responses... :oops:
I will transfer your compliments to la bête...
Roger Pennington wrote:Looks like a great trip, the car looks smart (very shiny!), thanks for the photos :D
The shiny look comes from a little waxing I did back home, but I really have to blame the four guys from the Lescot stand - they treated the car with a product called Express Shine, which obviously did his job 8)

This treatment and the light give the car a much darker look than it actually has - me likes very much, though... inspiring you might say...
Oldconn wrote:Excellent! You had much better weather than we had at Magny-Cours , it looks really enjoyable. I was also admiring your bonnet vents, could you tell me how that was done? :D
I read the Magny-Cours-thread the other day which reminded me you had rain - glad we had so much luck :D
For the bonnet vents (you would not call those louvers, no? Louvers are bent outward, right?) I would have to ask Ted how he did it and were he got them. But I have seen at least one other SE5 in the forum with the same ones, though installed the other way round, working more like ram air in takes.
tanuki wrote:I like your pics, in particular the onboard shots ... did you use your still camera or an action cam ?
La Bête has a lovely interior, and I am browsing all the pics to admire the details ...
Well, I am sure that there will be plenty of other cars coming up soon ... looking forward to seeing closer shots of the cars on show :lol:
The photos are all taken with my Lumix, just the arm out of the window and above the roof and "click" - but they had to be cropped to get the right angle. I tried to do a video while driving, but that was not such a good idea as I almost hit the box-entry :o next time I will use a propper fixation!

For the interior you have to blame Ted, as he kept good care for the last 15 years. I only try to preserve - and I still have not found the right products, hence my question "how do you treat your car's interior" in the "ma vie avec..."-thread. Leather-shine for the vinyl seats looks good only for a few days... :?

The "Paddock Gersois" and the "Armagnac Track"will be covered with...
Last edited by landschrabbler on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Part III - the Classic Festival

So now let's take a look at the rest of the festival - the exposition of cars on the area next to the track, the so-called "Paddock Gersois" :) and the activity on the track itself, the so-called "Armagnac Track" :D

There was also a program point "Tour Gascon" on Saturday, a small "ralley touristique"
la bête did not participate - the Magny-Cours crowd did something similar if I remember correct...

Let's start with a look on the Parking 2a where la bête was stationed - together with the Lotus Owners Club and some other British classics:

As you can see, the next lane was crowded by French cars. And there I found a strange little coupe I had never seen before - nor did I recognise its name: Jidé
Could be seen on the track as well:

Also in the French lane: the Panhards. And for the first time I had the chance to take a look under the hood of one, just to find... a spare wheel :shock:

How scimitar!

I really had to search for the engine, and I learned they are...ähm... "powered" by 2 cylinder boxer engines with less than 1 litre displacement...

Little reminder of my last meeting in Toulouse, the Ralley DS:

The BMW area, with the sponsor's show truck (the sponsor that organized the roadbook trip):

Another car I never saw before: the Alpine convertible. Accompanied by the only TVR of the weekend:

Part of the program is a Henry Pescarolo special, with the man himself driving his old race cars around the track. Here's the Matra 12 cylinder formula one car (check on youtube for its sound :D ):

Some track activity impressions:

Back on the parking, an Alfa Romeo Montreal is always worth a photo:

The nicest form of Cobra:

The smallest form of Marcos:

One last programm point to talk about: Saturday evening those interested could participate in a small parade through the town of Nogaro - it seems everyone is very excited about motorsport and cars here. Line up behind an MG 1300 GT:

I must confess that I could not contribute to the pleasure of the Nogaro people, since I took a wrong turn :oops: and found myself directly routed to the parking zone in town:

Will be continued...

Return to “Shows and Events”