To LACQUER or not to LACQUER

For Discussion on vehicle cleaning, detailing and care, and the RSSOC Concours

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

rjudcsx

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm

That is the question . As commented upon in my project thread [ Wake Up Sully ], I had a deep scratch on passenger side front wing . Had some paint mixed , match not good, went and had a panel scanned and got a 99.9% match in a spray can from reputable supplier .Did the prep work [rubbing down primer ect ] and sprayed . Good match but can I get a shine on it as deep and glossy as other wing no matter how much I polish . Rang the supplier who said it did not really need a Lacquer [ had not seen the car ], on the spray tin it says 17490 correction Spectro Chevrolet Cream General 2k . I know it is difficult to suggest anything without seeing the car but any practical guidance regarding this would help , my gut says lacquer it but my brain says hold on . Thanks Richard .

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm

Depends IMO on the type of paint you have put on

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:29 pm

The paint you have put on is 2K? That will never go off properly unless you have mixed it with isocyanate hardener with is poisonous to spray without proper PPE! There are some aerosols at vast expense that have a "pull to mix" ring which contain the hardener, but it sounds to me lie you have sprayed without. If I am right, the only way to rectify that is by wiping the lot off with some thinners and starting again. You can use 1K basecoat and 1K lacquer or get solid colour in 1K acrylic from any reputable supplier.

I am concerned that you got sold 2K at all, especially without checking you had the relevant PPE and knew how to use it and the paint! Give me a ring if you need more help / info.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

rjudcsx

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:23 pm

Thanks all , spoke with the supplier , it appears to be my role in life at present to talk to paint shop staff , always a different one from the chap I spoke to last time :? Gave me some limited advice but was evasive or did not know the answer [ why can not people just say " I dont know about that but I will ask some one and ring you back , whats your number" , yes no B... S... mode is engaged due to reading another post on this site ] Anyway , I cannot see how it can be 2k in the tin supplied as it does not have a mix button to bash in at the bottom of tin . I will leave it a few days and then do a test on the removed door end closure I took to match, following the same procedure I have followed on the wing and then give that a cover of laquer and see what happens , at least I can restore the door end closure better ,if need be , than the front wing of the car . Just going to grease up the M21 now , regards Richard .

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:14 am

How long did it take to go off?

Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

rjudcsx

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi Andy , the paint bought mixed in the can went dry in about 4 to 5 min at the most . I hope to do my test on the door end closure this afternoon ,initially without putting any laquer on and I will report back , due to my anxiety to avoid runs I might be spraying it to thin . Regards Richard .

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:12 pm

In that case it is acrylic or cellulose, most likely the former. As it is mis-labelled 2K and you say it has no gloss, it suggests that you have base coat rather than 1K Acrylic. Still good stuff, but you will need to flat it back now with 800 grit, recoat it just enough to build the colour, then lacquer it within a few hours. Thin coats are far better, build up the colour gently and then lightly on with the lacquer, else it may try to attack the basecoat. A couple of mist coats allowed to go off for half an hour and then a couple of wet coats should do the trick. Then leave it alone for a few weeks as it takes forever to harden enough to polish.

rjudcsx

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks ,yet again ,Andy . You have just moved from the top of my xmass card list to the potential xmass present list [ yes , I did say potential . :lol: ] Regards Richard .

rjudcsx

Post by rjudcsx » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Did what Andy advised today , all went well , a strong will helped rather than being nervous about applying the lacquer , now all I have to do is resist the urge to polish it and allow it to harden for a few weeks . Just on another topic , had an e mail pop in today from Malcolm Brown who is , I think , the Sec of my area , inviting me [ and other local members ] to a get together at his place [Covid Protocols Applied ], nice gesture . Regards Richard .

Return to “Polishers' Corner”