Interior plastic

For Discussion on vehicle cleaning, detailing and care, and the RSSOC Concours

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

rjudcsx

Interior plastic

Post by rjudcsx » Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Before I put the interior back in that had been removed prior to purchase of my 5a [ centre con ,rear seats , trim below rear window ect ] what have members found to be the best cleaning products / process for the items mentioned ,they are all sound but have lost some of there "blackness" and appear slightly lacking in luster . I would prefer not to paint or dye them . Thanks Richard .

FossilFish
RSSOC Member

Interior plastic

Post by FossilFish » Mon May 04, 2020 11:59 pm

Clean it normally then wipe boiled linseed oil, I got some from B&Q.

Seems to feed plastics and vinyl well, wipe it on (use gloves) leaving it over night then wipe down the next day.

Thank fossils for fuel!

Stornoway Grey

Interior plastic

Post by Stornoway Grey » Tue May 05, 2020 7:04 am

I read somewhere use baby oil to revive old interior plastics... I hasten to add that I have NOT tried this myself, so I cannot vouch for the results and I am not recommending it... but it is on my list to try in the next few weeks.

Rattling
RSSOC Member

Interior plastic

Post by Rattling » Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 am

Over the years I’ve tried many different ways to get what I would call a factory finish ie not too shiny and I came across a product called Aerospace Protectant fairly recently and I must say it’s excellent, you can get it off the internet as not many retailers seem to sell it but it’s not cheap.

Colin

1800 Ti

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Interior plastic

Post by David Tew » Tue May 05, 2020 9:33 am

Everyone probably has a favourite but I use Poor Boys Trim Restorer. It's worked well for me and smells quite nice.

I think the important thing is to enure the vinyl is cleaned first with soapy water and a soft brush otherwise you're just smearing the dirt around and sealing it in.

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

rjudcsx

Interior plastic

Post by rjudcsx » Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 pm

Well up to now the boiled linseed oil has got 9 /10 , cost £3.50 from local Wilco , has left the centre con in a nice black sheen , not "bling". Will leave overnight and then buff up .Might not last long but at that price and the time it took worth a go , thanks Raz for the tip . Regards Richard .

FossilFish
RSSOC Member

Interior plastic

Post by FossilFish » Wed May 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Rattling wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 am
Over the years I’ve tried many different ways to get what I would call a factory finish ie not too shiny and I came across a product called Aerospace Protectant fairly recently and I must say it’s excellent, you can get it off the internet as not many retailers seem to sell it but it’s not cheap.
I've seen this stuff and its amazing, it can be used on tyres to ward off dry rot. I think it's called 303 aerospace protectant. Linseed is messy but does feed plastics/trim cheap and cheerful

Thank fossils for fuel!

Return to “Polishers' Corner”