Astonished

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Astonished

Post by peter freeman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am

Over the years I have bought various kinds of alloy wheel cleaners most of which left the alloy dull. Today I thought I would try something different so used Astonish oven cleaner - used the sponge part of the applicator not the abrasive side and its done the job and seems to have left the shine on the alloy. I would not advise it for painted or lacquered wheels though. I would be interested to hear if others find it as suitable as I have and at a fraction of the wheel cleaner price.

Alan SS1

Astonished

Post by Alan SS1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:04 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am
Over the years I have bought various kinds of alloy wheel cleaners most of which left the alloy dull. Today I thought I would try something different so used Astonish oven cleaner - used the sponge part of the applicator not the abrasive side and its done the job and seems to have left the shine on the alloy. I would not advise it for painted or lacquered wheels though. I would be interested to hear if others find it as suitable as I have and at a fraction of the wheel cleaner price.
i used 'pickling' fluid from paper-mill, used prior to welding SS pipes, had to use with care as it was 'phosphoric/nitric acid mix :shock:

EDIT

use with caution/ at your own risk etc :w

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 ( .. . EVU & . . . . CDC)
Regal 330 (VAV ---) now passed to another 'keen owner'

drcdb15

Astonished

Post by drcdb15 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am
As Alan said, use at your own risk! Not quite sure what sort of alloys you are using it on, since you advise not using it for painted or lacquered wheels - because pretty much *all* alloys *are* painted or lacquered, to maintain their shiny surface. If you are cleaning up alloys that have been stood in a barn for 50 years then as a stage in the etching and cleaning process I imagine the oven cleaner can be fairly good at removing oxide film and other age-related corrosion or general grot, but as a cleaner for basically OK normal modern alloys I think there'd be a good risk that continued use would be similar to paint stripper...

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Astonished

Post by peter freeman » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Wolfs not painted or lacquered - and the rims of my MB wheels which are also not painted or lacquered

Return to “General Technical Discussion”