Three Lever Oil Leaks

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

cannonball
RSSOC Member

Three Lever Oil Leaks

Post by cannonball » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:55 pm

The box on my 6a was leaving a nasty oil stain on the lock block so I ordered the seals from GW a few weeks ago. Back up on the axle stands yet again and off with the side plate to remove the old seals. It didn't take long either once I recovered from being bone idle.

Anyway, it was quite a revelation to see how worn the seals really were. Completing the job was a bit of a fiddle as that daft little ball bearing in the mechanism at the back of the plate was quite tricky to get into position. A small screwdriver helped enormously as it was used to push back the ball when the lever was pushed home. A new gasket for the plate was cut from a sheet of that fancy rubbber / cork mix gasket sheet.

All back together and it sat on the jacks for what seemed like an eternity before I had the courage to fire it up and take the car for a run. It's quite surprising how the oil was being dispersed up the back of the gearbox when the car was in motion covering everything behind it including the overdrive solenoid. Job done and after a short run it was parked ack inside the garage with the big drip tray back underneath just in case.
Attachments
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG (166.11 KiB) Viewed 312 times
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG (179.21 KiB) Viewed 312 times
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG (101.43 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Return to “General Technical Discussion”