GTC inner wing/engine compartment separator

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:56 pm

When car bought both the rear wheel-arch-to-engine compartment separators were not fitted but came with the car separated. I now see why. Screwed in position the near-side one sits right against the exhaust.....see photos.
DSCF1124.JPG
DSCF1124.JPG (287.77 KiB) Viewed 318 times
DSCF1128.JPG
DSCF1128.JPG (292.25 KiB) Viewed 318 times
While doinga N/S suspension overhaul I thought I would refit these and having stuck 2 nylon plugs in the vertical (outer footwell) and drilled the 2 top fixings to take 4mm stainless bolts I am faced with this snag.
As can be seen I have bent out the bottom flap (heat fibreglass and it becomes soft and can be bent to shape) but the bit above is still too close for my liking barely a finger thickness gap......I do not wish to have the exhaust set fire to this panel. What would be the perceived safe clearance between exhaust and the panel?

This shows chalk lines where I could possibly cut away some of panel....the 2 sets of vertical lines are roughly where the exhaust lies behind. Might be able to pull bottom of panel outwards and re-drill bottom fixing hole a further 1/2 inch in to gain a little more precious room.
DSCF1132.JPG
DSCF1132.JPG (276.36 KiB) Viewed 318 times
This is looking down in engine compartment showing just how close.
DSCF1125.JPG
DSCF1125.JPG (301.21 KiB) Viewed 318 times
This take from engine compartment again shows how close panel is.
DSCF1126.JPG
DSCF1126.JPG (293.01 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Of course they were originally designed for the OEM cast manifolds and single downpipes, not aftermarket tubulars, so you may get issues with yours. It won't cause major problems if you run without them - in fact it may let more hot air out. I run the Yellow Peril like that. The trade-off is that it may let more muddy water from your narrow Devonian lanes splash in. You could perhaps mould bulges into them in new fibreglass, as long as there's clearance on the tyres?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:46 pm

The usual remedy is to leave them unfitted. They are not doing much apart from making access difficult.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Looks like leave them off then....they have been off for the last 48,000 miles anyway. ******* could have saved a bit of time if I had looked at it before trying to refit them, though might just cut at the chalk lines now that I have glued in plugs and got top 2 bolts/holes organised..

But what clearance would be advised??

Denis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:02 am

I think you only need 10mm or so clearance, enough for air to circulate. I burnt the floor of the sprint car last weekend as the exhaust was touching it - it hadn’t damaged it previously, with under 10mm gap.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

scimrick
RSSOC Member

Post by scimrick » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:03 pm

I had removed all splashguards when changing exhaust from standard to tubular a few years ago. This summer, to improve side view, I did what Dennis had planned, by trimming the rear splashguards to clear tubular downpipes on GTC, and refixed ok with peel rivets. However found the under bonnet temperature was a lot greater, as Roger mentions. I then removed the rear guards and was surprised at how much heat you can feel that exits from the wheel arch when you are in the front seats or standing by the wheel arch. Rear splashguards will definitley stay off the car to reduce load on cooling system. Only downside is some road muck on steering column joints, but now easier to access oil filter and general check/lubricate as appropriate.
Front splashguards were refixed this summer, using rivnuts, This due to an errant stone coming through wheel arch drivers side, rebounding and puncturing rear of radiator. I have also "belt and braces" stone deflector by adding a mesh strip behind the air dam as in photo. Currently held in place with cable ties but plan to redo with rivnuts in due course. Nice new alloy radiator is visible. Cooling system reads marginally higher than previous, but well within tolerance, with these front splashguards fitted, and also looks better in side view.
20190613_142617.jpg
20190613_142617.jpg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 206 times
cheers, Richard

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:16 pm

I've used rivnuts (and stainless steel screws) on all the splash shields on the mulberry car

Re your mesh stone deflector, there is an argument that says that it's better to block that gap with a solid sheet, so that the high pressure air coming in from the front air dam can't escape before it goes through the radiator?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Re your mesh stone deflector, there is an argument that says that it's better to block that gap with a solid sheet, so that the high pressure air coming in from the front air dam can't escape before it goes through the radiator?
that was how the cooling system was designed, the GTC (and others) have a lip on the lower section of the front bumpers specifically for that
Attachments
P1020845.JPG
P1020845.JPG (288.19 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

scimrick
RSSOC Member

Post by scimrick » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 am

Hi
Geraint, by "lip on lower section of bumper" do you mean in your photo the greyish metal sheet angling backwards from top face of bumper part closing gap towards the radiator ? If so, never been evidence of one on my GTC. the old and rusted out original stoneguard mesh in the main intake was only item in that area, with clear gap between bumper and radiator.

Roger, Rivnuts and s/s screws are a good combination, just need to resupply my stock to complete the task
Richard

Return to “General Technical Discussion”