Rich running

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Rich running

Post by GTC Ian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 am

Having spoken to Fast Road Cars, the problem for the rich running is partly due to the fast road cam Ive fitted and the carb being fitted with an anti stall diaphram.
He informs me that I have to blank of the anti stall and pipe going into the carb base. Has anyone on here had the same problem? All help gratefully welcome
The carb is a 38 DGMS

White GTC no 91 (Now getting the TLC it justly deserves)
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Rich running

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:18 am

GTC Ian wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 am
Having spoken to Fast Road Cars, the problem for the rich running is partly due to the fast road cam Ive fitted and the carb being fitted with an anti stall diaphram.
He informs me that I have to blank of the anti stall and pipe going into the carb base. Has anyone on here had the same problem? All help gratefully welcome
The carb is a 38 DGMS
That sounds like a complete nonsense to me. If anything I would expect a hairy cam to want more fuelling, not less. Isthe carb jetted for standard?

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Rich running

Post by GTC Ian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 am

It has 50 idle jet and mains 142

Members since 1984

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Rich running

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am

Well the idles should be .45 but there is not that much of a difference. You should still be able to tune that out. I think I would have the jets and volume screws out and use an airline to ensure that the passages are clear. There are two calibrated "air intakes" on the top surface of the float chamber. They are fairly obvious because they have brass inserts. Check that they are clear.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Rich running

Post by GTC Ian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Ive just used the airline to ensure the passages are clear. No sign of any blockages. Emulsion tubes look clear.Ive just placed the carb body on the surface table and I have a .3mm bow in the base. I am presuming that if air is getting in there ( gasket not adequate to seal this size of gap) and I am compensating the extra air intake by increasing the idle speed and mixture, that this could be the cause of the rich mixture and sooty deposits on the plugs. I had done the brake cleaner trick before I took the carb off, but being unable to lower the tick over I didnt hear any increase in speed.

Members since 1984

Return to “General Technical Discussion”