Se6A hatch rebuild

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Se6A hatch rebuild

Post by scimitargtc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:14 am

Ok, so moving along nicely with 2 huge glitches 1 is I want to rebuild the tailgate frame, for a new seal got the brass joining strips, read the posts but stumped by which way do the strips fit the channel to be able to screw in? Existing join near side non existent offside absolutely fine. The other “glitch “ is swmbo is trying to convince me to sell her after 22 years and enjoy my rather limited pension whilst my health holds up. So all this work may well see in the next 3+weeks a for sale notice,,, gutted I will be (had to sell my Mgtf following my brain haemorrhage in 2016) and know I will never buy another classic... moist hankies to the ready

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed)
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Se6A hatch rebuild

Post by peter freeman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am

IIRC I fitted he glass into the narrow part of the tailgate with the brass also in place and had the seal across the remaining part of the glass then slotted the wide part of the tailgate ( inverted tailgate ) in place. Silicone lubricant fluid helps it slide into place - connect the brass bits - you should be able to flex the tailgate to slide it over the glass. If you have a new glass with the heater element built into the glass then the glass is thicker than the original glass and black silicone sealant is better to use than the rubber strip which is almost impossible to use because of the thicker glass.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”