suspension issues

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Firstcall
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Firstcall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:10 pm

hi to all .first post of im sure many on my new project .i have a 1976 3 ltr beast thats just in need of a lot of TLC. but with it i also received a rather large folder containing paperwork from the day it was purchased.so that aside someone has fitted spax adjustable front and rear shocks that are unbearable on all road conditions as its like driving sitting on concrete seats.
so i would like to revert back to softer suspension, has anyone have an idea on what will fit my car thats softer ?
many thanks
steve

TrevorG

suspension issues

Post by TrevorG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Are they spax adjustables? If so, try winding them down first as someone may have put them on max hardness!

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Rev Light » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:07 pm

I use Protech. I deliberately specified them for road use. They are a bit tasty, and I am very happy with them. Also, they are made in Wiltshire, which means that they are local to me.
Last edited by Rev Light on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SE5a 'Fancier'

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Oldconn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm

I've just put a pair of Spax adjustables on the back of my GTE. I first set them at about halfway, ie: ten clicks up from full soft. The ride was unbearably hard . I took four clicks off and the ride improved a little. Then I took two more clicks off , so then they were only four clicks up from full soft. That made all the difference, now the ride is firm( I have 350lb springs) but forgiving , I can thrash it down our local bumpy lanes, and it will ride over the "sleeping policemen" at 20mph without feeling as though the back axle is about to kick me into orbit. The moral- play with them .

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Welcome to the forum :D

As well as playing with the damper adjustment, it would be worth looking at the suspension bushes - there are quite a lot of them, originally they were rubber but they are often replaced by polybushes, which tend to be harder, and if either type are worn out (getting near to metal-to-metal contact), then things may be harder still

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 pm

350lb at the rear is very stiff no wonder you have problems

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Firstcall
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Firstcall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 am

many thanks for all the reply's yes they are adjustable but even the lowest setting is unbearable.so im on the lines to changing the whole lot .also someone has replaced all of the rear bushes for Polly bushes and this is good in some respects but with the suspension it just makes the whole car unbearable

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

suspension issues

Post by Oldconn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 am

Coupe Racing wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 pm
350lb at the rear is very stiff no wonder you have problems

Yes, I know, that's how the car came to me. However, with the new shockers set fairly soft it rides better than ever it did before.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Return to “General Technical Discussion”