Bodywork

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Jasper53

Bodywork

Post by Jasper53 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Anyone aware of what holds the panel in front of the bonnet over the headlights on? I can see a row of screws inside the bonnet reveal, any others hiding anywhere? Ours is cracked and as a bonnet and one of these panels came with the car, might as well paint and fit them. Bonnet is falling apart anyway.
Cheers.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Bodywork

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Yes, as well as the torx screws along the rear edge, the panel is also held on by a series of glassed-in studs (five IIRC) along the front, which point downwards and are secured by nylon wingnuts which are accessed from below, through the grille. A couple of years after I got my car, the wingnuts unscrewed and liberated the front edge of the panel (that wakes you up, when you're doing 70-ish in lane 3 at the time! :shock: ). Accessing and removing the wingnuts was always a PITA so I adopted an alternative to replace the studs and wingnuts. I put a couple of screws through from the top instead, and left off the wingnuts. A much better solution (albeit not quite so neat) which means I can now remove the panel in a couple of minutes - ideal for things like working on the radiator, water hoses, or headlamps. Something like Dzus fasteners would look neater, but would take more work.

The two screws are visible on the photo below, I don't think they look too obtrusive?

SS1 Photoshoot 2019 01.jpg
SS1 Photoshoot 2019 01.jpg (280.36 KiB) Viewed 233 times

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Jasper53

Bodywork

Post by Jasper53 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:11 am

Cheers for that Roger. Will have a go when we swap the bonnet. Lights don’t pop up anyway so need a look at the relays for bad contacts. It’s not dark yet! Petrol tank first me thinks, otherwise we may not have a car at all. :D

Return to “General Technical Discussion”