How good is it when you get a result.

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46

james couper
RSSOC Member

Post by james couper » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:09 pm

As reported recently car would stop running after a few minutes, would re-starting after a short period, always getting voltage to coil, replacing coil, points and cap made no difference.
Latest, car run for two minutes then stopped, no voltage at coil. Replaced the wire from the joint at fuse box to ballast resistor and changed ignition relay when i was down in that area.
Car started first time run till up to temperature. Can only think that this wire had a break or part break and was heating up when running causing a break in voltage to ballast resistor. Only problem now is car is running fast and cant get rev's down below 1200, i have probably caused other issues mucking around trying to fix the original problem.

MickP

Post by MickP » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:30 am

Similar thing happened to me about ten years ago:

Car would die, briefly, when driving along - usually in busy traffic - so suddenly that it more or less had to be electrical. This only happened very occasionally.

The short version; I ended up running a supply to the coil directly from the battery through a switch inside the car. When the fault happened I flicked the switch and it went away. Took about a year but eventually traced it to? - you guessed it - the ignition relay.

If you still have a 30 or 40 year old relay in the ignition circuit, change it for decent new one.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”