Essex engine problems - again

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Just found the required dimensions for mains in original workshop supplement, so will measure when the crank is out.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:13 pm

I meant that you would need to use an external micrometer to measure main and big end journal dimensions on the crank, as I thought that was the question. An internal micrometer would allow precise measurement of the bores and the big end eyes.

If the engine really was rebuilt recently, I'm wondering how well it was all put together. For example, was dirt or swarf trapped behind the bearing shells, causing tightness and the wear pattern in your photos?

Nigel

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Post by TrevorG » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi nigel....yes, I'm trying to foresee all eventualities, hence my previous list....

1...Ham fisted assembly, 2....badly run in, 3...bent crank, 4...wrong bearing shells.

You'd have to see other damage to bend a four bearing crank, but if it has been reground or built up and reground, then it might not have been done well.

I'm suspecting the ham fisted assembly as torque settings were out by 10%+ in both directions and the oiling bolt in the middle of the journal holding the thrust bearings was finger tight, I was amazed it hadn't unscrewd!

Regards Trev

Return to “General Technical Discussion”