SE5a rear brakes assembly order - where does the dust seal go?

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

larrylamb11

Post by larrylamb11 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 am

I have all the brakes apart on my SE5a at present and am replacing the rear wheel cylinders (found a pretty good deal on cylinders & fitting kit on eBay here). The ones I took off were in a state and it wasn't clear what order all the various bits were assembled in.....
Don Kennedy's description of how to fit the clips from his rear brakes article here explains the correct order for the clips, but doesn't mention where you fit the boot... I've also read a post on the "SE5a barn find 24v conversion - 40mpg!" thread HERE which explains about reversing the direction of fitting for a couple of clips to make assembly easier... but the numbers on my parts diagram don't match those in the post and I'm not sure which clips to reverse! The post shows a picture of the distance washer, spring plate and retaining plate, but the instructions refer to the clips by number (11,12 & 13) without referencing which number refers to which clip! So now I'm all confused :lol: Can anyone tally the distance washer, spring plate and retaining plate with the numbers 11,12 & 13 as referred to in the instructions please? or tell me which clips by name to reverse?

Then how do I fit the rubber boot? Does it go on first to be held by the spring plate? or is it held by the retaining plate? or does it go on after all the U clips have been fitted and just drape over the top? I couldn't tell when I dis-assembled as it all seem to be mangled together.....

I obviously want to get it right on reassembly and ensure that the cylinders slide easily in the back plate, whilst the boot keeps all the crud out. I am planning to use the 'adding a nut trick' to the handbrake lever slot too in order to improve handbrake efficiency as referred to in Don Kennedy's article.

Any and all advice welcome!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 am

Does this help?
RearBrakes.JPG
RearBrakes.JPG (89.91 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Can't remember about the rubber boot exactly but think is goes on after the clips (I think the hole is big enough that it sits over them anyway but obviously before the brake pipes which is what seems to be a bit chicken and egg - reading back on what I wrote, I fitted one fully before realising I'd left the boot off..so chopped the "loop", fitted it and then glues the boot back together.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

larrylamb11

Post by larrylamb11 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

That's the picture I've been looking at. It seems to suggest the boot goes on first and then all the clips after.... I also thought that was the diagram being refereed to in the "SE5a barn find 24v conversion - 40mpg!" thread where the clips are referenced by number, but that thread refers to a diagram where the clips are numbered 11,12 & 13. The diagram I've been looking at (as above) numbers the clips 10,11 & 12! So I'm none the wiser :lol:

roymck
RSSOC Member

Post by roymck » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:12 am

Hi , can t seem to make a link to this page but they have a excellent how to on there site .

www.macysgarage.com then go to tech talk and then rear wheel cylinder fitment .

toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Post by toolmanchris » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:13 am

To be honest I left mine off as they fitted so badly anyway that they were achieving very little :lol:

Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
Seat Leon FR - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am

I think I've got the Autobooks manual at home somewhere - will have to dig it out (unless anyone else has it to hand) and hope it's labelled 11, 12 and 13..

Sadly can't ask Geoff (toomanysabres) any more..
roymck wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:12 am
Hi , can t seem to make a link to this page but they have a excellent how to on there site .

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/wheel_cylinder.htm is what you need, I think?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

larrylamb11

Post by larrylamb11 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

philhoward wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am
roymck wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:12 am

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/wheel_cylinder.htm is what you need, I think?
Aha! Perfect - that's exactly the clarity I was looking for! Thank you both for that link - one for the favourites folder I think. That perfectly explains how it all goes together and which bits go where.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”