About the new black EFL90 FORD oil filter

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MrGoldtop1960
RSSOC Member

Post by MrGoldtop1960 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi,
I took a punt on eBay and was interested in what it was like compared to the original red and white type. I can’t remember if it has EFL90 actually written on it but it’s the same size as the one that I removed from the car and “assumed”, as it was a Ford Motorcraft, it would perform the same. Short of cutting both in half and comparing them, I’m quite happy with the black type performance and can’t see any difference.
Cheers
Kev O

Kev Osborne
Solent Noggin NogSec, National Events coordinator.
Member No.2104

Owner of SE5a "Colonel Mustard"
Previous - "Sid" the SS1 1800ti

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:24 pm

FrenchNewbie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:23 pm
Is it better to buy the old white+red one for the ESSEX engine ?
I had to get a new filter for MB61 a few months ago, and there's been a bit debate in MB circles about the best filter, largely because the length of the 'standard' filter seems too long for the available space in some cars, but not in others. This is doubtless due to the individual build nature of this model, where no two engine bays are exactly alike. Like you, wanting to get "the best", I noted that the original specified filter was a Motorcraft, and like you I found various ones on eBay. But unlike you, I began to smell a rat, so I started to research things a little more deeply. What I found is this:

Today, "Motorcraft" IN THE UK is pretty much a shell company selling a range of "motoring lifestyle" accessories such as camping tables and chairs; Ford make precious little by way of spares for their older engines - certainly getting anything "genuine" from "Ford" for a 1989-91 Cologne engine in the DIY aftermarket for things like filters, spark plugs, fan belts etc is nothing more than wishful thinking. You may get 'serious' parts like engine components, but even these are fairly patchy. If that's the situation for a late 1980s engine, you can draw your own conclusions regarding a mid-1970s one. "Motorcraft" in the UK today is simply a branding exercise for getting your car serviced at a Ford dealer.

Someone mentioned that the only way you can really tell how good an oil filter is, is to cut it in half. Well Mann has done just that, and presented their findings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwmk1RYHpk There are arguments for and against this, as shown in the 70+ public comments to the video. So in theory, a Mann filter *may* not be any better than a cheapo off eBay, as far as the protection your engine actually has or needs in practice goes. But you can probably be fairly certain it couldn't be any worse.

Having found what I did about Motorcraft, and knowing how expert the Chinese are at piggybacking on long-established British market brands, I would not trust any product now carrying the Motorcraft branding of the late 1990s. You can see from Ford's web sites here and in the USA that they have long since abandoned the old trade dress that was once so familiar in British garages and motor factors.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:13 am

I have been using Mann filters for about three years, because can get them delivered very quickly and cheaply from Oscaro.fr. I use them on my classic Mini and my Scimitar. For the Scimitar, which doesn'tr appear in Oscaro's lists, I order for the 3-litre Capri. No complaints about the quality ,they do have a non-return clappet inside, and I have good pressure hot or cold.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 am

The last couple of years or so I have used an EFL90, latterly got from an ebay ad. (2324 9743 9457) 'sandicliffeshopuk'....price now £11.99incl. P&P - up from £7.52incl. when I bought it. I've fitted two - probably both from the same source & have not been happy: the cold/start-up psi. has been pretty much the same but with the EFL90 the psi. seems to have dropped to a lower figure quicker when warm on idle - when under throttle the psi. is 60+, same as on start-up idle.....

Prior, I was using Fram filters from a local motor factor which seemed to give better hot psi. (about the same cold/start-up) - & Fram, reputedly, are not what they once were!

(I've already mentioned this, sometime ago, on here, but not in as much detail....)

RonH
RSSOC Member

Post by RonH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 am

I’ve recently bought two EFL90 filters (last month) from hendy e shop off eBay £8.99 each with free delivery. One came black and one red and white. Can’t bring myself to fit either after reading all of the above. Dilemma as what to do now.
RonH

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 am

Well all I can say is that the trade price for 10 off is more than you have paid.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Post by David Tew » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Scimher wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 am
The last couple of years or so I have used an EFL90, latterly got from an ebay ad. (2324 9743 9457) 'sandicliffeshopuk'....price now £11.99incl. P&P - up from £7.52incl. when I bought it. I've fitted two - probably both from the same source & have not been happy: the cold/start-up psi. has been pretty much the same but with the EFL90 the psi. seems to have dropped to a lower figure quicker when warm on idle - when under throttle the psi. is 60+, same as on start-up idle.....
I also bought four of the EFL90 filters from Sandicliffe at £7.52 each. They're Ford main dealers so I doubt they're selling fakes. Perhaps the spec has just changed? :-?

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Post by David Tew » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 pm

I see there's someone selling Champ-brand (?) filters on eBay complete with a reproduction EFL90 label. They even come with instructions on how to put the sticker on to hide the original markings!

A bargain at only £8.70 inc. :shock:

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲

Mr Bridger

Post by Mr Bridger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm

David Tew wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm
Scimher wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 am
I also bought four of the EFL90 filters from Sandicliffe at £7.52 each. They're Ford main dealers so I doubt they're selling fakes. Perhaps the spec has just changed? :-?
I've also bought from Sandicliffe. I have no doubt that these are genuine Ford filters, as you say they are Ford dealers, and so have bought several for the coming years.

1975 SE5a - Daily Driver
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1972 VW Camper Van
1965 Sunbeam Tiger

old bean

Post by old bean » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Try a MAHLE OC23

Return to “General Technical Discussion”