Turning the V6-engine by hand: how?

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 am

scimjim wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 pm
Surely the two additional pullies should have holes in the centre so that you can get a long reach socket onto the crank bolt?
Autos are very awkward. Simplest is to use a socket on the alternator nut and keep the belt taut.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

Villyman wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm
Good evening all! Thanks for your replies! As it's an automatic gearbox it won't be possible with turning the rear wheels. I tried to get aces with a socket but I don't have the space ... My cranck pulley consists of 3 pulleys: 1 for the alternator and waterpump, a second for the powersteeringpump and then a third one which isn't in use ... I know this would be the easiest way but it doesn't seem to work. When I changed my cam gear (for an alu one) and the crossmember was removed, I got acces easily.
Thanks, Tim.
My SE6A has exactly the same 3 pulleys on the crank. There's still space to get the small plug socket and ratchet in under the cross brace on my car. The amount the ratchet can turn is limited, so may be easiest with one of those so-called 'continuous' ratchet handles. Even so, I can manage to turn the engine over using a conventional 3/8" ratchet.

Nigel

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri May 18, 2018 10:49 am

AJL Electronics wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 am
scimjim wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:00 pm
Surely the two additional pullies should have holes in the centre so that you can get a long reach socket onto the crank bolt?
Autos are very awkward. Simplest is to use a socket on the alternator nut and keep the belt taut.

Like I said before and it is ideal once you get used to it

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Return to “General Technical Discussion”