Bradbury Four Post Lift

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by b.c.flat hat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Brilliant as ever Geraint! I'll PM you.

David Lanceley

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by David Lanceley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:11 pm

I have a Bradbury 4 post installed. Not wheel free but I use a beam jack which gives a lot of flexibility. Bought off ebay 10 years ago for less than £1,000 delivered and has never given any problems.

Mine is 3 phase but a modern electronic phase convertor fools the motor into thinking it's getting 3 phases from a single phase supply.

Would be very hard to go back to scrabbling on the floor......

Current;
1954 Series 1 Land Rover
1963 Forward Control Land Rover
1973 Reliant Scimitar SE5A
1998 Lotus Elise Series 1
2004 Range Rover L322
2006 Jaguar XJ6 TDV6 Sport Premium
2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by GavinR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 pm

I also have a Bradbury 4 post with wheel free, from 1978. It came from a Ford dealership so was in regular use and regularly serviced.
It was fun working out where all the pulleys and cables went - they had dismantled it before I got there!

Bought for £1,000 with the original 3 phase motor, I bought a new single phase motor for £200 and made an adaptor shaft to drive the original oil pump

And I have a small dent in the roof above the ram! If I had realised before installation, I should have put the ram at the other corner - the roof is single pitch, so there's more height one side than the other

It's very useful for welding underneath and also for storing a car on. The hydraulic ram sinks very, very slowly (a few inches over a number of weeks), so I always have the wheel free beams locked into place for extra safety

Thanks

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by b.c.flat hat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for those comments David and Gavin, as I mentioned earlier I originally planned for the modern lift which has the ram horizontally on the underside of the ramp. We designed the building with enough headroom for it but there aren't used ones available and new cost far too much so are now going to use the earlier version where the ram protrudes from one of the posts.
I think the wheel stops can be ground off and re-welded on the opposite ends, so enabling the whole lift to be installed using the maximum headroom under the mono-pitched roof.
David, can I ask details of your converter, make, power requirements, duration of lift etc? We have to decide between converter or single phase motor. Regards, Brian.

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by GavinR » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I was using mine today, so measured the height, and it's very similar to Geraint's
It needs 12' to get the bed high enough to engage the wheel free beams into the top most slot
At this height I can stand upright underneath the middle of a car, but have to duck under the ramps - I'm just under 6'

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Thank you Gavin, from your comment it seems I have enough headroom for a hard hat to be superfluous :D

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 am

Morning all,
with the various mention of these Bradbury wheel free lifts on the forum over the past few months it's got me to wondering and keeping one eye on Ebay. Anyway, there is one finishing tomorrow on eBay that's not a million miles away - listing number 163094133574
Not sure on the ram orientation but I suppose that's a call to the seller to find out.

What I am more after is a few measurements of the footprint, to make sure it's not going to be too big for the intended location. I've got a double garage to slot it into, but not a huge amount of depth.

I would also have about 30 inches of lift before something hits the roof structure, but that will be a future project to sort!

Second most importantly, is it going to be a trailer job to get it home, or do we think one might fit in a SWB Transit?

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by GavinR » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Phil,

It looks similar to mine which has 14' long ramps, so you need at least that amount of depth in your garage. And it will be about 8' wide.

It will dismantle into the 2 long ramps, the 4 pillars, 2 wheel free beams, 4 end beams, and various cables and pulleys - it will not fit into a van.
I borrowed a 16' plant trailer and some pallets to collect mine - the dealership selling it had a forklift to load it.
Then I used 2 engine cranes to unload the ramps, one at each end as they were too heavy to lift even with 2 people.

The price looks good

Thanks

Gavin

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks, will measure up later. Moving it might be the biggest issue. Sounds like a trailer jobbie then, but even so, loading and unloading might be a challenge. I've got two pallet trucks at my disposal, one of which is powered, where there's a will there's a way.

Currently highest bidder but I expect it to climb tomorrow.

Philip Andrew.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Oh the frustration! I had chucked on a cursory bid yesterday to mark my interest as highest bidder, something I often do with auctions.
Had a chat with the seller this morning, all sounded good, horizontal ram, light use, can help load. Was intending to get down to some proper bidding before the finish at 4pm today. Mobile phone was chirping away a short while ago with notifications, took a look when i could and found I had been outbid and it had sold! Seems they had someone come down to view it and after outbidding me they ended the auction to sell it to highest bidder. £266 :shock: Miffed to say the least.

Not meant to be. This is the universe telling me to sort the rest of things out first and re-roof the garage before putting a lift in it. hmmm.

Philip Andrew.

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by b.c.flat hat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Really sorry to read that, sounds like the modern lift I researched. That price doesn't represent the bleddy scrap value and shows complete ignorance on behalf of the seller! Completely understand your frustration and annoyance.

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:04 pm

a safe bet is that it sold to the person viewing for considerably more than £266, it was a 750+ ramp every day of the week. The only way a seller can end an auction in the last 24 hours with out being charged is to accept the top bid, during the last 24 hours you can not easily remove an auction with bids.

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Indeed, I suspect that may be the case with it being sold to a highest bidder (newly registered) there and then with cash ontop. Although it was contrary to what the lady I spoke to said when I phoned up to ask what had happened. It was in the unit next door that they had just taken over and they didn't really know what it was worth, just wanted it out the way. I did mention I was intending to bid 3 times that later on and she said she had better not tell the boss that.

Reinforces my belief in the "bid now and bid later" tactic. Just wish I had stuck a more reasonable middle bid on to start with.

You win some you lose some. I picked up a high spec welder a few weeks back for about a 3rd of its actual worth.

Philip Andrew.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Bradbury Four Post Lift

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Gazzumped.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Return to “General Technical Discussion”