SE8 Axle noise query

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Re: SE8 Axle noise query

Post by gtcse8 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:21 pm

To get the Outer bearing, Outer shell into the casing the Four bolts pass through the Oil seal housing. the brakeshoe backplate and the Large Thick #202473 (plate axle bearing retaining plate ). then the shims, as appropriate.

I was just wondering if your not getting the Outer bearing outer ring fully pressed in on both sides hence the varying readings.

When I do bearings I ALWAYS keep the Hub OFF the axle and it allows better access to the Four bolts to ensure the bearing outer race is correctly seated.

Then just lightly fasten the Hub back on to remove the bearings if needed.

What I can`t figure out is your comment on the noises the axle made/makes after bearing changes.

The bearing clearance has no effect on the Pinnion/gear meshing unless An Axle shaft is pushed too far into the casing thereby pushing the "Floating"central Axle shaft spacer into heavy contact with the differential pin and diff orbital gears.

If that makes sense.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the info. The axle noise started when the bearing was changed, I found the e/f was approaching 30 thou. There was also a great deal of noise present (much more than before the bearing was changed). I took one of the existing shims (30 thou) out and the noise just about disappeared, but I was unhappy about there being practically no e/f and started trying to get the recommended amount. That's when I started getting the varying readings (and different noises at each change of shim).
Ian

Current : Scimitarless (probably not for long)
Past: SE5, SE5a x 3, GTC x 3, SE6, SE6a

windy

Post by windy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Probably slack/worn/ incorrectly adjusted diff bearings, which means the crownwheel is pushing its sideways load through the diff spider & onto a halfshaft, instead of loading against its intended taper roller bearing. Thats why the noise disappears when you have no play in the wheel bearings (hence no play in the halfshafts)
Last edited by windy on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 am

AJL Electronics wrote:I ended up making a ten thou brass shim to get the holes lined up. I decided that was a better option than trying to reduce the washer evenly on a sanding belt ;-)
Yes best idea,,,,the smell of burning fingertip flesh is not that pleasant!

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 am

windy wrote:Probably slack/worn/ incorrectly adjusted diff bearings, which means the crownwheel is pushing its sideways load through the diff spider & onto a halfshaft, instead of loading against its intended taper roller bearing. Thats why the noise disappears when you have no play in the wheel bearings (hence no play in the halfshafts)
Thanks Windy.
Reading through the earlier answers/suggestions I began to get a bad feeling that the noise was from the diff gears/CWP, so your reply makes perfect sense! Oh bugger.

Delving into the innards is way beyond me, so it looks like I need a replacement axle after all!

Ian

P.S. Thinking ahead, does it really make much difference to driveability by fitting a higher ratio SE6 axle to a 2.8 engined car? Anybody done this?

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 am

The lower ratio was fitted because of the loss of torque compared with the Essex. It would work OK but towing and steep hill starts may feel different.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 am

IanC wrote:
windy wrote:Probably slack/worn/ incorrectly adjusted diff bearings, which means the crownwheel is pushing its sideways load through the diff spider & onto a halfshaft, instead of loading against its intended taper roller bearing. Thats why the noise disappears when you have no play in the wheel bearings (hence no play in the halfshafts)
Thanks Windy.
Reading through the earlier answers/suggestions I began to get a bad feeling that the noise was from the diff gears/CWP, so your reply makes perfect sense! Oh bugger.

Delving into the innards is way beyond me, so it looks like I need a replacement axle after all!

Ian

P.S. Thinking ahead, does it really make much difference to driveability by fitting a higher ratio SE6 axle to a 2.8 engined car? Anybody done this?

My 2.9i now has anot se6a axel and works great. However I do have near 200 ft lbs of torque now.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 am

AJL Electronics wrote:The lower ratio was fitted because of the loss of torque compared with the Essex. It would work OK but towing and steep hill starts may feel different.
Hi Andy,

Thanks, It's an auto so hill starts not an issue (especially in Lincolnshire :D ) and I don't plan to do any serious towing, so it looks like that a slightly higher ratio might not be such a big deal. In any case, I didn't get a GTC for its raw performance !
Anyway, this is just my back-up plan.

Regards,
Ian

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 am

Unless you have a guaranteed axle you might just well have your own rebuilt. Way too much work changing over to find a problem a year down the road I think.
Even a good used would want new seals and possibly wheel bearings done before fitting.

Derek

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:37 pm

derekoss wrote:Unless you have a guaranteed axle you might just well have your own rebuilt. Way too much work changing over to find a problem a year down the road I think.
Even a good used would want new seals and possibly wheel bearings done before fitting.

Derek
Hi Derek,

I'm sure you're right, but a full recondition is currently beyond my means (I've heard some alarming figures suggested), so I'm currently looking at more economical (if possibly unrealistic) options.
Regards,
Ian

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm

I think around a Grand is the going rate for an exchange axle!

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:I think around a Grand is the going rate for an exchange axle!
OMG! That's a long way from the usual battery/alternator/brakes/radiator type costs I've had to contend with over the years of Scimitar ownership.I suppose though as time goes by, costs go up and our cars aren't getting any younger, so it's inevitable that higher cost repairs are more likely.

Ian

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

For a grand I'd expect everything new inside and a years warranty !

Do it yourself. Pretty straightforward really. You know how to measure ! Take your time and read the manual.

Ordinary mechanics used to do them all the time until they became de-skilled by fitting "units" Oh that's why they're fitters now !!

Derek

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 pm

derekoss wrote:For a grand I'd expect everything new inside and a years warranty !

Do it yourself. Pretty straightforward really. You know how to measure ! Take your time and read the manual.

Ordinary mechanics used to do them all the time until they became de-skilled by fitting "units" Oh that's why they're fitters now !!

Derek
Thanks Derek for your encouragement, but I've had a look at the book and quite frankly I don't fancy it, my worst nightmare in fact. Too hard for a moderate tinkerer. Trunnions yes, diff no methinks.
It 's probably replacement time!

Ian

landschrabbler
RSSOC Member

Post by landschrabbler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm

The only problem seems to be to find someone who sells a refurbished axle.

Don't know what the situation is like for GTCs, but for the SE5 I keep asking the usual suspects if they have one - and still the answer is "no" as there are no crownwheels and pinions available...

Fingers crossed you find a solution.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”