se6 bumpers

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Newdawn27

se6 bumpers

Post by Newdawn27 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:19 pm

So the next thing I need to know the bumpers did,nt look too bad but on closer inspection the shiney bits are all discoloured they,re obviously covered in some kind of plastic coating can this be removed so they can be cleaned up and maybe re lacquered is there anyone reconditioning these bumpers.thanks

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: se6 bumpers

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:31 pm

As standard, the shiny bits were anodised aluminium. If they are coated in something, then it sounds as though someone has already has a go at sanding off the anodising, re-polishing, and then coating with something (some kind of lacquer?). You could repeat that process? They are riveted to the fibreglass bumper moulding, so that would need to be removed to do a proper job.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Newdawn27

Post by Newdawn27 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks for that must say the maroon scimitar of yours looks rather gorgous do you still own it

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks, officially the colour is "mulberry" and it does look very nice in the sunshine. I certainly do still own it (and them) - the cars in my signature strip are my current cars, and have been my only cars since 2002 :D (and the mulberry car was my first Scimitar, bought in Feb 1983 :D )

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Return to “General Technical Discussion”