Caravan towing and questions

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member
Posts: 767
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:24 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 pm

I had to do B+E... Grrr



User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6001
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by swoakes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:53 pm

Sorry for the thread hijack Phil although it is relevant.....

I have seen posts in other forums saying that its the "actual weight" of the trailer and not the plated weight that is important in determining whether you are towing legally. These have been accompanied by copy letters from VOSA confirming such (although VOSA no longer exists)

This is an issue for us again because I may be able to insure Josh on the Skoda this year. If its plated weight we would need to down plate our trailer for him to tow legally. If its actual weight he should be below the 3500kg limit


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
speedy555
RSSOC Member
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:41 pm
Location: Newhey, Rochdale
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Contact:

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by speedy555 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:04 pm

With caravans it seems to be a case of who has pulled you over and where....no weighbridge and they seem to use the 2 maximum weights on the plates - weighbridge and you might be lucky and get weighed it seems.


Dave Speed

SS1 1300
Mercedes ML280 V6 CDi
Prev. ss1 ti/68 coupe/77 & 78 6a / 7x 5a's / '85 SS1 / 2x '81 6b's / Cipher / 69 se5 / rialto / Rochdale Olympic



http://www.facebook.com/ssgclassics

SCIMITAR PAINT & BODYWORK... Specialist fibreglass liquid coating technician

User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 33349
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 640 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by scimjim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:09 pm

VOSA has only changed its name to DVSA - they still pull people at the roadside :-)

Is it illegal to have two rating plates available for the trailer (dependant upon who is driving)?


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

User avatar
Chgperformance
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: New Buckenham, Norfolk
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by Chgperformance » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:10 pm

I've just towed my SS1 back on a twin axle trailer behind my Rover 75. Bit risky, but every single wheel strapped, did speed limit and was sensible. Didn't actually see a single police car between Ripon in North Yorkshire and home!

It really annoyed me we have to do another test to tow heavy stuff when there are sooooooo many people out there who are dangerous with anything regardless of size!



User avatar
AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member
Posts: 7263
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 187 times
Contact:

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 pm

What Phil needs is a Cheltenham. 800kg (whatever that is in real money) unladen.


Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6001
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by swoakes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:14 pm

scimjim wrote:VOSA has only changed its name to DVSA - they still pull people at the roadside :-)

Is it illegal to have two rating plates available for the trailer (dependant upon who is driving)?
Yes agreed....on the second point I think so because according to the governments own web site down plating is permitted https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

Can't find any information on how you down plate...can you do it yourself, does it need to be a OEM plate or is a DIY sticker OK :)


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
philhoward
RSSOC Member
Posts: 22748
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 pm
Location: Staffs, UK
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 413 times
Contact:

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by philhoward » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Buy a trailer too old to need plating :w


Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6001
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by swoakes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Chgperformance wrote:I've just towed my SS1 back on a twin axle trailer behind my Rover 75. Bit risky, but every single wheel strapped, did speed limit and was sensible. Didn't actually see a single police car between Ripon in North Yorkshire and home!

It really annoyed me we have to do another test to tow heavy stuff when there are sooooooo many people out there who are dangerous with anything regardless of size!
Don't disagree with what you are saying but if one of those idiots had hit you would your "vehicle" be considered legal once the $hit hits the fan once the insurance companies and the police potentially get imvolved :?:

Insurance is expensive enough for young drivers without throwing points on your licence into the mix :wink:


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 33349
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 640 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by scimjim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Chgperformance wrote:It really annoyed me we have to do another test to tow heavy stuff when there are sooooooo many people out there who are dangerous with anything regardless of size!
Surely that's the point?

I bet the caravan that overturned on the M5 yesterday wasn't being towed by someone who had done the +E test :-)


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

User avatar
Chgperformance
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: New Buckenham, Norfolk
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by Chgperformance » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:25 pm

swoakes wrote:
Chgperformance wrote:I've just towed my SS1 back on a twin axle trailer behind my Rover 75. Bit risky, but every single wheel strapped, did speed limit and was sensible. Didn't actually see a single police car between Ripon in North Yorkshire and home!

It really annoyed me we have to do another test to tow heavy stuff when there are sooooooo many people out there who are dangerous with anything regardless of size!
Don't disagree with what you are saying but if one of those idiots had hit you would your "vehicle" be considered legal once the $hit hits the fan once the insurance companies and the police potentially get imvolved :?:

Insurance is expensive enough for young drivers without throwing points on your licence into the mix :wink:
Oh I agree, but with the ss1 weighing 900kg? Rover weighing 1300kg iirc that leaves 1300kg for the trailer which it is certainly no where near! All my lights are brand new too. The trailer is pretty old and doesn't have a plate. I'm going to get it weighed at our local scrap yard to find out what it does weigh. :)

I will be doing my trailer test this year anyway, as I want to tow a car trailer behind my sprinter and as its 3500kg MAM, I need to do it really.



User avatar
Chgperformance
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: New Buckenham, Norfolk
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by Chgperformance » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:26 pm

scimjim wrote:
Chgperformance wrote:It really annoyed me we have to do another test to tow heavy stuff when there are sooooooo many people out there who are dangerous with anything regardless of size!
Surely that's the point?

I bet the caravan that overturned on the M5 yesterday wasn't being towed by someone who had done the +E test :-)
Trouble is its people who have never needed to do the test that seem to have the 'issues'. :(

One of my fiancées parents friends jackknifed his and flipped it. Somehow got away with it and bought another! Apparently he's not a good driver! :shock:



User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 33349
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 640 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by scimjim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:33 pm

Exactly - so they brought out a test to stop it. They can't apply it retrospectively.


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 33349
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 640 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by scimjim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:37 pm

swoakes wrote:
scimjim wrote:VOSA has only changed its name to DVSA - they still pull people at the roadside :-)

Is it illegal to have two rating plates available for the trailer (dependant upon who is driving)?
Yes agreed....on the second point I think so because according to the governments own web site down plating is permitted https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

Can't find any information on how you down plate...can you do it yourself, does it need to be a OEM plate or is a DIY sticker OK :)
Most manufacturers will do it for a small fee (£5 for the plate and time normally). Some (like Ifor Williams I believe) will post you the plate. When you sell the trailer, you can legally refit the old plate.

So why can't you swap plates when the driver changes? It's a ludicrous law that limits you because the trailer is "capable" of taking the weight wether it's empty or not - almost like going equipped :-)


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

RockerPhill
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Cwmbran South Wales
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Caravan towing and questions

Post by RockerPhill » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:32 am

Thanks a million everyone; and not a problem about the thread hijacking, it's great to learn new things! Referring to the previous questions;

I passed my test in July 2012, so am I right in saying that I can tow on my license provided I don't exceed 3500kg?

And no, I've not bought the van specially :D it's been in my family since the 70's!

Dad said that his ford Granada was a similar weight to Flora, and towed the van. He thinks off the top of his head that I'm within the boundaries for towing, however, realistically, is the general consensus here that the weights are too close together?
Hypothetically, the idea would be to maximise the weight in Flora, and ensure the nose weight in the van is as should be.
Though I take your advice and opinions very seriously here chaps!


- Flora "Tub of Butter" "Buttery Potatoes" "Butterly"
-SE5A 1974.
- Student loan funded light restoration.

If nice guys finish last, then that's alright; at least my conscience will be clear at the end.

Post Reply

Return to “General Technical Discussion”