Prop Shaft UJs

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Prop Shaft UJs

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 am

Sabre Six 660XYB has the MkII Jaguar (Moss) gearbox and Salisbury 7HA diff, and the prop shaft has UJs' front and rear with a slidey bit in the middle, but the UJs don't have grease nipples. Do you know if these can be replaced with UJs that have drilled oilways and grease nipples fitted? Otherwise I can't see how to lubricate the UJs - any suggestions?
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Re: Prop Shaft UJs

Post by peter freeman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

Most parts now don't have simple things like grease nipples - just look at the top wishbone ball joints. Andy might have a source -otherwise a spray grease ?

philynnbob

Post by philynnbob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Philip ( good name and spelt right)! :D
Not knowing what size your prop shaft is, so only guessing but just fitted these to my straight 6 prop
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-RELIANT-DAI ... RRoP6fF6NA
However upon removing my old ones I noticed that under all the muck that a blanking screw was fitted where the grease nipple fits.
May be worth a quick look on yours?
See you are attending Le Mans next year, I only went for the first time last year so cannot really advise days areas as it is still very new to me also. But what a fantastic weekend.
Philip

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Philip,
As you rightly say, one "L" of a guy!
Mine are fairly clean and there are no visible blanking screws, so I think I need to change them to be on the safe side. Le Mans is a bit further than the Silverstone Classic so I'm prepping everything I can think of.
I don't suppose you measured the outer diameter of the needle roller casings on your old or your new ones?
I think I'll go ahead and get the ones off eBay anyway. Thanks for the link.
Cheers,
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:22 am

Check for any sign of play on both axes of the joint and if none there is no need to change in my opinion. Not broke don't fix etc etc etc.... :D
The joints will be a BRD 33 series and according to my guru are readily available in plain and re-greasable type. Give them a spray grease to help keep out water and just keep taking the tablets :lol:
They can't fall apart and if wear starts you will get plenty of warning of some noise and vibration.
My Sabre Six had some slight play and nothing got worse going to France, Ireland, Wales and Congleton in the last two years and we have only just changed both ends.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

Return to “General Technical Discussion”