essex engine numbers

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads here also contain previous “stickies” from other sections, as a central location for quick reference information.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

GavinR
RSSOC Member

Re: essex engine numbers

Post by GavinR » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Mine had a non-original engine fitted which didn't match the V5

I fitted another engine and the DVLA wanted an engineers report stating the engine size and if it was the same size as the original and then they updated the V5

(The engineers report was a paragraph from my local MOT station on their headed paper so it didn't cost anything)

Thanks

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Cheers GavinR!!....

GTE Progress#
Ti Progress#
1600 Progress#
GTC Progress#
Tr7 V8 1982 #Bajaj Legend NXT ( Vespa)#bicycle 2010

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 pm

contact the SE5 registrar and he may be able to put you in touch with the current owner of the car your new engine came from (yes it is on the register :-))

regarding DVLA - you are fitting an identical engine, they won't be particularly interested. If you want your V5C updating you may need a receipt for the engine and may need it inspecting.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

....For years - if you changed your engine/colour of car etc. you simply filled in the relevant section of the V5, sent it off & eventually you'd get a revised one.....no questions asked!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 am

Scimher wrote:....For years -
until they changed the rules........

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

mikerf

Post by mikerf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 am

I changed my engine back in the late nineties during the first restoration and was keen to find out where it came from too. After an awful lot of digging on the net, I wound up finding a copy of some data that indicated it came from a Granada. Sadly can't remember anything about the site but it IS out there somewhere and gives information on which engine numbers went into which cars. I should mention it was for Fords only. I had the V5 changed but this was back in the day when you didn't have to offer your children to the DVLA as surety that you weren't laundering money for some gang of eastern European drug runners.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Details of how to interpret Ford engine numbers are earlier in this same sticky. AFAIK the engine number will only give you the manufacture year and sequential number of the vehicle it came from, and doesn't specifically identify the model (that would have been elsewhere in the chassis number?).

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

Post by 1969SE5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 am

can anyone give me an idea what year my essex is please.
the block is stamped 2J19 , and the engine code starts SC48
this is currently sitting in my 1969 SE5, and has a dipstick 1/2 way along the offside.
all help much appreciated.
kind regards
David

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 am

SC means it was fitted to a Scimitar, the side dipstick means that it's an uprated (D port) engine and SC48.. Means it's from a 1972 SE5a :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:56 pm

scimjim wrote:and SC48.. Means it's from a 1972 SE5a :-)
Jim, unless I've missed it, while the relationship between chassis numbers and manufacturing year is pretty well documented, I don't think that I've ever seen the same relationship between engine number and years documented. The information clearly seems to exist, based on your reply here (and in previous notes). Would it be possible for it to be published (in the member's area/wiki if necessary), or a link to it if I have missed it....

cheers, :)

....Roger

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Scimher wrote:It's all very confusing Mike...I wanted to establish the same thing, myself, a year or two back as I acquired my car (Granada engined) with what was supposed to be the original engine on a pallet. I took some pics. on my phone & showed Dave Mac. he said it looked like the early engine...certainly the dipstick was at the front! I made a note of the engine no. &, with the RSSOC not having records, I rang Ford, who were a complete waste of time! I spoke to the Granada clubs, but I think it was the TVR club who stated that the engine dated from January 1977 & 'had come out of a Ford'.....From this, I could only assume that there had been a new 'short engine' & as the numbers, no longer matched, I sold it, rightly or wrongly!
Geoff.
..Re-reading this thread reminded me that I did contact you, Jim, but with the engine not being an 'SC', I don't think the RSSOC had the relevant records...(I've forgotten what it did start with, but something like 'TJ' rings a bell - well T something..........)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Scimher wrote:
Scimher wrote:It's all very confusing Mike...I wanted to establish the same thing, myself, a year or two back as I acquired my car (Granada engined) with what was supposed to be the original engine on a pallet. I took some pics. on my phone & showed Dave Mac. he said it looked like the early engine...certainly the dipstick was at the front! I made a note of the engine no. &, with the RSSOC not having records, I rang Ford, who were a complete waste of time! I spoke to the Granada clubs, but I think it was the TVR club who stated that the engine dated from January 1977 & 'had come out of a Ford'.....From this, I could only assume that there had been a new 'short engine' & as the numbers, no longer matched, I sold it, rightly or wrongly!
Geoff.
..Re-reading this thread reminded me that I did contact you, Jim, but with the engine not being an 'SC', I don't think the RSSOC had the relevant records...(I've forgotten what it did start with, but something like 'TJ' rings a bell - well T something..........)
If the second is right, then so is the first....

....Roger

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm

I believe that the SC engine number correlation is something deduced from the model registrars - which Jim K (as previous GTE registrar) would be aware of. The same (virtually) incremental number system was used on the CVH powered Small Sports (which led to the discovery of how many 1800Ti models there were :D ).

If it's not an SC number, then I would say that the RSSOC Registrar would have to do the same investigation work as anyone else, although might have a head start based on information already on file. Aside from the odd codes that might have been used by other users of the Essex (such as TVR), the Burton power website gives a decode of the date system, even if not necessarily the original application.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes, I wouldn't expect info from the Club to go beyond SC numbers. The Ford system is, as you say, well documented on the Burton site (and linked to, earlier in this thread) which is why I suggested in my previous note that the info mentioned was correct.

However, the info that, for example "SC48.... is from a 72 car", is Scimitar-specific info that doesn't currently appear to be in the public domain? That seems a little strange, bearing in mind that the equivalent info for chassis number is well known? :?

....Roger

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:57 pm

At a guess, it's something that whilst missing from the "Don Pither" (SAIF) list IIRC, could probably be added without a great deal of work and added to the Wiki?

Apologies if I've just seemingly volunteered someone a load of work!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “How To Guides/FAQs”