Se6 Carpet question

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:49 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 am
Hello Mr Taylor

How are you??.

Mark Wilson
Hi Mark,
I'm well, I hope you are too.
Are you still doing the same work. I see you're running your local noggin.
I still have the photos of your SE6a. Do you still have it. Did you do anything with "WWW" a 5a if memory serves. Do you still have the GTC that I made a carpet set for the previous owner with a bathroom carpet he asked me to cut?
I have just this week seen pictures our old 4b which was last on the road in 1990 which has got me back on the site.
Anyway I'm going to get into trouble for going off subject.

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Geraint SabreGTCse5 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 am
gtfreight wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:48 pm

As far as the GTC (SE8) goes, the interier carpet is the same as the SE6/a/b except for the boot area.
no it isn't, but coverdale think it is.
Can you please let me know where the differences are?

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:53 pm

gtfreight wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am
By the time you get your trimmer to shape and edge the pieces it will probably be cheaper to get Coverdale to make the set up for you.
There are extra pieces included in their sets that will not be needed if the interior hasn't been modified. I think there are 26 pieces for the 6a, of which you'll use 18. If you strip your old set out it is quite self explanatory where the new pieces fit.
As for sticking the pics down I used a contact adhesive for everything except sometimes the main floorpans. For these I would usually use the press studs supplied by Coverdale but this means drilling holes in the floor to accommodate the self tappers on the studs.
It's 10 years since I dealt with Coverdale so they may have rectified the only slight problem with the set which is the floorpans were made symmetrically and the floor section aern't quite symmetric at the front of the transmission tunnel.
I see that it was in May when you made your last post so my information may be too late for you but could help others who are thinking of tackling the job themselves.

Regards,
Gary.
Still not sorted my carpets out yet!

1977 SE6a Manual Overdrive, Manual Steering and Windows!

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtcse8 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Gary

I sold the GTE many years ago.

I still have the GTC, and it STILL has the bathroom carpet fitted, this is because I bought a set from Coverdale and when I came to fit it they were terrible so I never finished it off, I still have the set but can`t quite remember what was wrong, but I think the main problem was the central tunnel and footwells did not have the same shape as originals.

Never did get round to complaining, but I do remember pointing out to coverdale`s that the extra pieces were not needed, such as the rear outer armrests and the front door pocket covers, there were some other bits too but can`t remember.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 pm
Hi Gary

I sold the GTE many years ago.

I still have the GTC, and it STILL has the bathroom carpet fitted, this is because I bought a set from Coverdale and when I came to fit it they were terrible so I never finished it off, I still have the set but can`t quite remember what was wrong, but I think the main problem was the central tunnel and footwells did not have the same shape as originals.

Never did get round to complaining, but I do remember pointing out to coverdale`s that the extra pieces were not needed, such as the rear outer armrests and the front door pocket covers, there were some other bits too but can`t remember.
Hi Mark,

I too told them that the extra 8 pieces weren't required. I also took a set of old original floor sections into their factory to show them the slight difference between the nearside and the offside but I don't know whether they acted on it.

I seem to remember the blue carpet I shaped for the GTC was hessian backed and the quality was quite good but I thought it was too thick to have the flexibility to be shaped round the contours of the inner sills etc. I found Coverdale's Blenhiem range to be best for Scimitars as it is synthetic and not as prone to the damp that can be an issue with older cars, unlike the more expensive wool sets.

I wouldn't like to attempt to fit a set these days as I suffered a spinal injury a couple of years ago and think the reaching into the car to locate the front sections that fit round the heater vents and pedal box would aggrevate my back.

Nice talking to you again Mark,

Kind regards,
Gary.

gtfreight

Se6 Carpet question

Post by gtfreight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Oxymoron wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:53 pm
gtfreight wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am
By the time you get your trimmer to shape and edge the pieces it will probably be cheaper to get Coverdale to make the set up for you.
There are extra pieces included in their sets that will not be needed if the interior hasn't been modified. I think there are 26 pieces for the 6a, of which you'll use 18. If you strip your old set out it is quite self explanatory where the new pieces fit.
As for sticking the pics down I used a contact adhesive for everything except sometimes the main floorpans. For these I would usually use the press studs supplied by Coverdale but this means drilling holes in the floor to accommodate the self tappers on the studs.
It's 10 years since I dealt with Coverdale so they may have rectified the only slight problem with the set which is the floorpans were made symmetrically and the floor section aern't quite symmetric at the front of the transmission tunnel.
I see that it was in May when you made your last post so my information may be too late for you but could help others who are thinking of tackling the job themselves.

Regards,
Gary.
Still not sorted my carpets out yet!
I used to allow about 12 hours to fit a set. I also found the wooden side panels where the fuse box on the n/s, and bonnet catch on the o/s are situated were often rotten so it may be an idea to cut replacements if yours are. The left foot pedal rest can cause problems too, be careful undoing them as they can snap. I was also cautious removing the seat belts from the anchor points. I can't remember how to fit the rear seat backs and tails. Everything else is pretty straight forward, just a case of taking your time and it should all come together nicely.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Terry H » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 am

Anybody heard of or seen anything from this company. Looking at the sample photo the pile seems thicker than the carpet I have from Woolies. They do seem to realize that a GTC has a boot and there are different models.
Regards Terry H

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 am

Which company Terry? We were discussing Coverdale. Although you can order a GTC version from them, it is incorrect in many respects. They are uninterested in getting the issue resolved, preferring to tell all complainants that nobody else has trouble with them. If you press the matter, you get an emailed page from the SE6a parts list!

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Se6 Carpet question

Post by Terry H » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reliant-Scimi ... 1438.l2649
I could have sworn I put the link in my post before. I've got two rolls of 2 mtrs from Woolies but the quality is not there so have not tried to fit it.
Regards Terry H

Return to “General Technical Discussion”