More GTE electrical problems

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 am

landowner wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 pm
Switch side on and side only work, click down again and headlamps come on with side lights. That's ok so far but lamps are on full beam. Stalk works as it should no problems except that the lights don't change from full beam
Yes, that's my point.

The main lighting switch on the panel only switches the lights on and off - it makes no differentiation between dip and main beam. So if the side and headlights are switching on and off with the appropriate position of the dash switch, then the dash switch must be ok.

Once you've got power going from the dash switch towards the headlights, then it's the stalk switch which actually tells it to be dip beam or main beam. So the likelihood is that it's here that the problem lies.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

landowner

Post by landowner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 am

Went out yesterday and it rained.... although the wipers were all fine on Sunday and again on Monday they refused to work on Tuesday in the rain. Worked fine today Wednesday so I think some new relays and plug ins are required.
I'm going to order a service kit for my carb because it looks like the problem is the accelerator pump diaphragm. :)

Sold my projects and bought a red 79 GTE to keep me busy

For all your engine requirements http://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/ The people who know about engines

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

PM inbound as I keep most of the parts for carbs.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:39 pm

landowner wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 pm
The semi circular toothed wheels that operate the butterflies are different sizes, the on that operates the second choke (nearside of car) is shorter than the first
A 38 DGAS as fitted as standard should look like this: As can be seen, the two quadrants are the same, so that the throttle plates open at the same rate. If yours are different, then that tends to confirm that either it's the wrong carb or it's been mistreated in the past and fitted with wrong parts?
20170809_133034.jpg
20170809_133034.jpg (134.47 KiB) Viewed 293 times

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:40 pm

landowner wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 am
Photos not possible anymore :(
Any particular reason? We are here to help if possible, and in this instance it's very much a case where a picture would be worth a thousand words, and would enable us to give the best advice on solving things? :)

....Roger

landowner

Post by landowner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 am

Pictures not possible because photobucket has closed down on me. My camera is also useless and takes blurred pics close up, it's a temporary phone until I get a new one as I dropped my other one and broke the screen. Don't know any other way of posting pictures I'm afraid.

For all your engine requirements http://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/ The people who know about engines

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 am

To help rule out the steering column unit I could lend you a spare unit to plug in and see.

They only have two multi plugs to connect.

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm

landowner wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 am
Pictures not possible because photobucket has closed down on me. My camera is also useless and takes blurred pics close up, it's a temporary phone until I get a new one as I dropped my other one and broke the screen. Don't know any other way of posting pictures I'm afraid.
Our new drag & drop photo-uploader which was developed in the wake of the Photobucket debacle is vastly easier to use and operate than either PB or the old uploading system. If you haven't tried it yet, it's well worth doing so.

Sadly there's not a lot we can do about a blurry camera, though even a blurry photo may convey some useful info, as long as it's not too bad. :)

....Roger

landowner

Post by landowner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:07 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 am
To help rule out the steering column unit I could lend you a spare unit to plug in and see.

They only have two multi plugs to connect.

Mark
Thanks for the offer but I have a land rover one which I think is the same plug, good idea I'll try that after the weekend, going to Astle Park steam show for three days. :D

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Ok LR unit is similar BUT not exactly same as Reliant.

Also it has a smaller clamp so will not go onto a Reliant column tube.

But is a starting point to rule out the column operations.

Mark

landowner

Post by landowner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:44 pm

gtcse8 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 pm
Ok LR unit is similar BUT not exactly same as Reliant.

Also it has a smaller clamp so will not go onto a Reliant column tube.

But is a starting point to rule out the column operations.

Mark
I was just going to wire it in to see if the headlamps dipped or not

Return to “General Technical Discussion”